Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,211 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
LillyBiucci
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks! Its 2010txag@gmail.com

Any info is appreciated.
SmokeyAg
AG
DcAg

We are going to Oktoberfest 2017 with 2 other couples and are getting together for a planning meeting tomorrow. Any info re tents, lodging etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jctgigem@gmail.com
h1ag
AG
Sorry if this should go on it's own thread, but it seems related enough to post here.

I over Thanksgiving, I got a ticket to Munich on a whim for the last week of April. Come to find out its Fruhlingsfest. Some of you folks seem addicted enough to German volks fests to need a mid-year fix. Anyone going or have any must do recommendations?
dcAg
I don't know anything about it but it looks like a much more scaled down beer festival with rides, food, games, beer in a couple of small tents. Looks fun.
dcAg
Smokey and Lilly,

Messages sent.
dcAg
Just under 100 days until the 2017 Oktoberfest kicks off!!!

PROST!!!
DonaldFDraper
AG
Looks like my wife and I are heading to Oktoberfest this year... Any updates tips / suggestions?

We are flying into Zurich then working up to Munich and flying out of Frankfurt.

I plan to read through this thread this weekend.
dcAg
PLENTY of tips! In what part of the city are you going to stay? How long will you be there?
DonaldFDraper
AG
We'll stay in Munich for the days were at Oktoberfest. I believe we'll be there October 1 - 3. We haven't confirmed yet.
dcAg
It will be crazy. German Unification Day is on the 3rd. I am leaving on the 1st.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Haha. Crazy in a good way?
dcAg
Yes but you will need to get to the tents early. Put your email address in your profile and I will send you a long list of suggestions etc.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Thanks!
dcAg
Got it.
dcAg
Email sent!
mattdf23
AG
dcAg would you mind sending me your list of suggestions as well?

My wife and I will be attending Sept 19-20, traveling from Mannheim.

Thanks!
dcAg
Matt,

Message sent!
fixedincome
dcAg, my wife and I are starting a 10 day trip in Prague (3 days), Cesky Krumlov (1 day), Salzburg (1 day), Munich (2 days 9/27 and 9/28), Berlin (1 day), then Copenhagen (2 days). We are meeting our son who's doing a TAMUG study abroad in Munich for Oktoberfest. Any must see/do suggestions along with lodging/transportation dos/donts would be appreciated: mjanak87@gmail.com Do you know anything of Austria or the Czech Republic?
dcAg
fixedincome:

Message sent.
supermanrv
AG
We had the best time.

We bought our Lederhosen and Dirndl online from Germany. We brought them in our luggage so that we could wear to Oktoberfest. We prayed a pretty penny for them though.
bmc13
AG
I'd like the list of tips as well, please!

thanks in advance

(username) at hotmail.com
dcAg
bmc13:

Message sent.
bmc13
AG
danke!
dcAg
Everyone getting ready that is going? Its getting close!!!
FriendlyAg
So I posted I believe last year, but I ended up taking my family to Paris in June instead. I just booked a trip to Japan in January, but the plan is to make Die Wisen happen in 2018. This thread always makes me happy.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
dcAg said:

Everyone getting ready that is going? Its getting close!!!
I'm in Munich, staying close to the train station. Any suggestions
Aggie87
AG
One alternative to the Oktoberfest is the Volksfest in Stuttgart (aka the Canstatter Volksfest).

It's the 2nd largest bier fest in the world after the Oktoberfest (Munich gets about 6m visitor annually to the Oktoberfest, and Stuttgart had 4.2m in 2016).

One difference though is that there are more tourists that go to the Oktoberfest, as it's so well known. The Stuttgart fest doesn't get the volume of Americans or other tourists, so (to me anyway) it's got a more German feel to it.

Either way, it's a blast. I lived in Stuttgart from '99 - '04, and went to both Fests each year I was there.

edit - if you do go to Stuttgart, you can can also visit the Porsche Museum and the Mercedes Museum, both are pretty cool!
dcAg
I also stay near the train station on the north side. There is a place to go grab a drink called The Shakespeare Cafe/Pub.

I will be there most evenings. Ask one of the bartenders or the older lady with blonde hair (Angie) for Pat.

Volksfest is pretty fun. Just not nearly as large as the Oktoberfest. Their stage productions for the bands are much more robust. Beer is great. Not as many "big" rides. Its different but still fun!
dcAg
For those that went to Oktoberfest...did you have a great time or what?

I know I did. Hit the tents 7 times in 9 days.

Now at the office and want a brat and kraut for lunch.
dcAg
Anyone have any good stories from the last Wiesn?
JT88
AG
Planning for this September now. I've been to Munich, but this is first fest.
Would be grateful for Your email, DC.

Thanks!
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
ChoppinDs40
AG
fixedincome said:

dcAg, my wife and I are starting a 10 day trip in Prague (3 days), Cesky Krumlov (1 day), Salzburg (1 day), Munich (2 days 9/27 and 9/28), Berlin (1 day), then Copenhagen (2 days). We are meeting our son who's doing a TAMUG study abroad in Munich for Oktoberfest. Any must see/do suggestions along with lodging/transportation dos/donts would be appreciated: mjanak87@gmail.com Do you know anything of Austria or the Czech Republic?

Eat at stiftskeller in Salzburg. Oldest restaurant in the world. It was delicious.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiftskeller_St._Peter
dcAg
Fanatic,
Ive been to Salzburg many times but never eaten there. I will have to check it out next time Im there. Thanks for the recommendation!
dcAg
JT88,
Post an email address and I will send you a message.
ChoppinDs40
AG
definitely pricey but the service was top notch.

Found my love of tafelspitz there,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.