***** Baltimore Orioles 2023 Season Thread *****

33,054 Views | 333 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Explosivo12
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OriolePete said:

Meltdown over there in Houston. They are turning on each other. They really seem to have a problem with the stadium too. The same people who have (or had) a ****ing flag pole in CF
We realize how ridiculous it was. Same with a 430+ foot CF & hill.

OriolePete
Gotta do something about this entrance. Yikes.

The idea of Omar's whistle is great, but not like this. Not like this.

Power is available...
Farmer1906
AG
Good series, Os. I would not be shocked if we meet up again in Oct.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure why they don't go with the whistle to start then back it up with the Season 1 intro song.

That would be pretty sick

But yeah...Good series. See ya in Oct
OriolePete
With our current bullpen, we have no chance in a 7 game series against the Astros. But, as long as we get October, it's a start.
OriolePete
Cute
OriolePete
Enrique Bradfield Jr. Is already in A ball after 3 games. Maybe that's normal. I dunno.

This kid is yet another slam dunk I think. The future is BRIGHT.
Tibbers
What a fun series. Reminded me of the Braves series earlier this year. Two teams poised to make the playoffs. Here's to seeing y'all again in October, but not before September. I'll be there to see the O's take on the Stros in person. Ain't the beer cold!
tcow715
AG
OriolePete said:

Enrique Bradfield Jr. Is already in A ball after 3 games. Maybe that's normal. I dunno.

This kid is yet another slam dunk I think. The future is BRIGHT.
Pretty normal, but the kid is super talented and should be able to move through the system quick on defensive skill and speed alone.
OriolePete
It's a lot of fun going thru our top 30 prospects and seeing their stats. So much talent
Tibbers
I keep thinking of how good Sig and Elias have been at drafting. Getting Jackson Holliday over Jones was huge and now it's even showing up with our international signings too with Basallo. Getting Kjerstad and Mayo in the same draft was incredible. Their ability to see high school talent and how it projects over time is astonishing. Gives me hope for the future. We have so much talent it's difficult to put them all on the field at once. But after this year, Frazier will be gone. That's fine, replace him with Ortiz. Holliday ready? That's fine, move Gunnar to third. Keep the window for success open for the next ten years and let's win multiple championships. 4 in 10 years would be nice, but maybe if we spend, we can do better.
OriolePete
Ya know, I'm perfectly fine with letting Seattle sweep us just so they can get right on the heels of the rangers and astros. Just to watch them whine about it.
Tibbers
Ha, no no, we've got to keep our streak alive. This is the classic "score all your runs in the first game of the series" game.
Tibbers
These games are so nerve wracking.
tcow715
AG
Was at the game tonight. Felix is dominant.
Tibbers
tcow715 said:

Was at the game tonight. Felix is dominant.
Amazing. What an atmosphere! Tell us more! One down, one more to go to take the series.
OriolePete
Only 9 of our 45 losses have come from teams below .500.

And being 46-36 overall against teams over .500 is as impressive.

Atlanta has 19 losses to teams below .500.

Super encouraging numbers. This team definitely has it's head on straight.
Tibbers
Mullins had a day. Robs a home run, hits a game winning home run. He was special.
OriolePete
When I first saw the lineup, I thought "this is a great lineup, but it needs Mullins." And it certainly did. To be able to go from Adam Jones immediately to Cedric Mullins helped heal the wound of letting him go. Adam Jones should have been an Oriole forever.
Tibbers
Remember that time we took two out of three from Seattle in Seattle?

That. Was. Awesome.
Tibbers
O's continue their West Coast wins with beating the Padres 4-1. Good to see Machado again and Rodriguez is getting stronger each outing. He completes 7 frames, his longest stint in his professional career. Shades of vintage Verlander at an age of 23, he was throwing 100 mph gas well into the 7th. The O's are now 29 games over .500 and you just wonder how far this team can go. Ain't the beer cold!
OriolePete
He looked dominant last night!

Our starting pitching is really coming together. Wells should be great when he returns and Means is on the way.

Buckle up, these next couple of months should be fun to watch
OriolePete
The one drawback of having so few fans on here, nobody buries my terrible takes.

"The Orioles are great!"
"The Orioles suck!"
"The Orioles are great!"
"Bryan Baker pitches great!"
"Bryan Baker sucks!"
"Bryan Baker sucks!"
"Bryan Baker sucks!"
"Fuji is great!"
"Fuji is Bryan Baker!"

Just kidding. Let's sweep these A's holes.
Tibbers
Nothing wrong with that Pete! It's been a magical season so far. For fun, what do you think our end of the year record will be? I think we break 100 wins.
OriolePete
If we hover around .615 we will be right at 100. I think we still have one really big win streak in the tank. I think all our bats are heating up at the right time. Maybe early? I dunno. But I optimistically thought we could get to 105 earlier this season so I'll stick with it.
Tibbers
This sure has been fun Pete. Can't wait for October but keep on winning every series and we are good!
OriolePete
I don't gamble often. I love fantasy, but I don't do much real gambling. Last night I started doing props on Orioles for 25 and 50 cents trying exact plate appearance home runs. I got a couple. I made a $1 bet in 4th inning (game was 2-2) that the Orioles would win 7-5. It was the highest odds of all the options they had, so I thought why not. Webb comes in, loads the bases, then just blows thru the rest. It almost happened! Would have been a whopping $61. Good times.
Tibbers
Haha, sometimes I'm glad I don't live in a state that allows that.

I always say, when you bet with your heart on your sleeve, you lose your shirt.
OriolePete
I'm so glad the A's took out Rooker yesterday.
Tibbers
Yeah that was quite interesting. I doubt it would have mattered overall but, can we just talk about Gunnar for a second.

Have you ever seen a player leg out a double in a complete blowout when if he just singled he would have hit for the cycle?

What an absolute bad ass. I love this team and Gunnar looks to be the rookie of the year. Thankfully, because he started the year on the opening day roster, that'll reward us with another first round draft pick. Next year we have a good shot at it as well and the year after. Just amazing and what a way to extend our window of success.

Gunnar is special man. He doesn't care about accolades, he plays the game a million miles an hour all the time regardless of stats.
OriolePete
That was a beat down. Gunnar is special. That's for sure. There are some absolutely insanely gifted young baseball players out there today. I'm glad the O's have so many of them.

Mountcastle is locked in too. When Cowser comes back, I hope it's for good. And Holliday will just be the icing on the cake. Honestly if Holliday can play 2nd base, I say bring him up this season. 2nd base has been killing us in our lineup lately. Maybe a week in triple A and if he continues to tear thru it, why not?
tcow715
AG
OriolePete said:

That was a beat down. Gunnar is special. That's for sure. There are some absolutely insanely gifted young baseball players out there today. I'm glad the O's have so many of them.

Mountcastle is locked in too. When Cowser comes back, I hope it's for good. And Holliday will just be the icing on the cake. Honestly if Holliday can play 2nd base, I say bring him up this season. 2nd base has been killing us in our lineup lately. Maybe a week in triple A and if he continues to tear thru it, why not?
Holliday may touch AAA, but I don't think there is a chance for the Majors. They would give Joey Ortiz an extended shot this season before Holiday. I believe you September call up will be one of Cowser/Ortiz and one of Means/Hall. Really have no clue though, just taking a shot.
Tibbers
I have to agree with that although there are a couple of folks on the 40 man that I think we could get away with a DFA. Gillaspie and Voth at this point are dead weight. Heston and Jackson could make sense. As long as they do not incur more than 45 days or 130 at bats, they retain their rookie status. Same thing we saw last year with Gunnar.

With both having outside shots at being rookies of the year and attaining spots on opening day rosters (whichever year they actually do appear) the reward of an additional first round draft pick is too enticing to waste. They also must be on the 40 man by September 1st to be eligible for postseason play.

With Santander having lingering back pain, I would rather like to see Cowser called back up and for Gillaspie to make way for Heston to be added to the 40 man as the season grows to an end. It's best to rest our starters and rely on depth to carry us through the finish line if they are hurt. We will need their bats and experience as we approach the postseason.

Another really interesting problem we have is what to do with all of our pitching. Means is coming back, Hall is looking good in AAA, Coulombe will be back soon most likely, Wells could still come back…tough decisions to be made especially in light of Gibson looking like he's run out of gas.

Anyway, good problem to have, having so much talent you don't know who to pick at times.
tcow715
AG
Tibbers said:

I have to agree with that although there are a couple of folks on the 40 man that I think we could get away with a DFA. Gillaspie and Voth at this point are dead weight. Heston and Jackson could make sense. As long as they do not incur more than 45 days or 130 at bats, they retain their rookie status. Same thing we saw last year with Gunnar.

With both having outside shots at being rookies of the year and attaining spots on opening day rosters (whichever year they actually do appear) the reward of an additional first round draft pick is too enticing to waste. They also must be on the 40 man by September 1st to be eligible for postseason play.

With Santander having lingering back pain, I would rather like to see Cowser called back up and for Gillaspie to make way for Heston to be added to the 40 man as the season grows to an end. It's best to rest our starters and rely on depth to carry us through the finish line if they are hurt. We will need their bats and experience as we approach the postseason.

Another really interesting problem we have is what to do with all of our pitching. Means is coming back, Hall is looking good in AAA, Coulombe will be back soon most likely, Wells could still come back…tough decisions to be made especially in light of Gibson looking like he's run out of gas.

Anyway, good problem to have, having so much talent you don't know who to pick at times.
I agree that there is room on the 40 to DFA a couple guys, but I am not sure they will.

If Heston was still raking, there was potential there, but his batting average has dropped 40 points in August. Teams are starting to pound the outside part of the plate and he is getting a little exposed. They won't make that move for an already crowded OF and 1B position. They will let him work through that this year in AAA, I am guessing.

Also, the Orioles don't rush guys, so I don't see them doing that with Holliday. I am guessing he starts in AAA next season and is a mid season call up if he is pounding on the door. He only has 25 games in AA, and their minimum threshold seems to be about 50 games. With the success at the big league level as well as a cohesive dugout I just don't think they rush him up. Would also be a waste to his development if he is playing twice a week.

They are getting Cowser his confidence back while also tinkering with some of his swing. If he has success over the next couple weeks he could be called up.

With the pitchers we are all guessing at this point haha. You could argue endless possibilities there and would have a good point on all of them.

VERY curious who breaks camp next year as well as the off season moves. You have a ton of talent sitting in AAA who are pretty much blocked by young players at the Major League level.
OriolePete
Drew Rom is starting for the Cardinals tonight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.