2023 youth baseball/softball check-in

80,133 Views | 794 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by TarponChaser
JmacAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coaching in the 8U AAA division up in Conroe, probably going to get smoked, but hopefully its a wakeup call for our boys one what it takes to really compete at that level.
Bassmaster
AG
Here - 12u majors

8 a.m. Saturday at the RAC
8 a.m. Sunday in Rosenberg
redline248
AG
Dang, what's the price of admission for one player to play 2 games in this kind of tournament, which I assume includes at least 1 night in a hotel?
PhatMack19
AG
redline248 said:

Dang, what's the price of admission for one player to play 2 games in this kind of tournament, which I assume includes at least 1 night in a hotel?

$750 tourney fee + $300 for parent entry. Hotels are on the parents. It's 4 game guarantee
PhatMack19
AG
10u Majors. Our times aren't bad, but all our games are in Sealy. We did draw 4 Top 15 teams in the country, so that should be fun. (Yes they rank 10 yr olds)
redline248
AG
PhatMack19 said:

redline248 said:

$750 tourney fee + $300 for parent entry. Hotels are on the parents. It's 4 game guarantee
Is the tourney fee for the whole team or just for each player?
PhatMack19
AG
Whole team. Some of the coach pitch are less, some older are more.
redline248
AG
Ok, assuming something like 14 players, that's not as bad as I originally thought.
TarponChaser
PhatMack19 said:

redline248 said:

$300 for parent entry? That's a new one to me.

RC Elite Mizuno Red, 13AAA

Our major team, RC Elite Mizuno Blue, is playing 13 major in the 60/90 group. There's 64 teams in that and some studs playing.
mosdefn14
AG
Just got an email from our commissioner (Rec PeeWee 6u coach pitch) that we're now expected to submit duplicate lineups to the other coach before the game, and that batting out of order results in an out. Supposedly this is to help defensive strategy.

JR went 3-3 with 3 doubles and 4 RBI, caught a line drive and turned a double play in our season opener this weekend. Maybe I should take these rule changes as a compliment.

Is this how baseball is in 2023? I don't recall lineups really mattering until kid pitch when I was playing. Honestly I wouldn't put it past some coaches in our league to have their ringers bat a few extra times / out of order in clutch situations, but seriously?!
TarponChaser
That's pretty standard to swap lineups.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I guess I don't see the issue here. I've given a lineup to the other team every game for 6 seasons.
redline248
AG
In my son's few seasons of tball + coach pitch, we have definitely had some coaches try some shenanigans, as well as coaches who are watching for any rules violations like hawks.

It's very strange for 6-8 year old games
mosdefn14
AG
Maybe we're just behind the times. This is my 5th season coaching 3-6 year olds in this league, and it's never been a thing. Heck we bat all 15 kids, and half the team is in the bathroom any given inning so sometimes it's basically who's next (that's here)
PhatMack19
AG
TarponChaser said:

PhatMack19 said:

redline248 said:

$300 for parent entry? That's a new one to me.

RC Elite Mizuno Red, 13AAA

Our major team, RC Elite Mizuno Blue, is playing 13 major in the 60/90 group. There's 64 teams in that and some studs playing.

They are getting y'all for $10 each at the gate. For us instead of having people at the gate, they just charge a flat fee. They get their money either way
TarponChaser
Gotcha.
agsalaska
AG
Good luck to everyone this weekend.

We finished basketball tonight with our County championship. Academy beat Rogers by 11. Pretty sure I knew every boy on both teams and had coached about half of them in baseball at some point in the last five years. It was fun to watch. We had probably 400 people in the gym tonight.

Starting baseball Saturday in Waco in an open tournament that we should do well in. Then headed to Austin for PG the rest of the year.

11u AAA.
BurnetAggie99
agsalaska said:

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

We finished basketball tonight with our County championship. Academy beat Rogers by 11. Pretty sure I knew every boy on both teams and had coached about half of them in baseball at some point in the last five years. It was fun to watch. We had probably 400 people in the gym tonight.

Starting baseball Saturday in Waco in an open tournament that we should do well in. Then headed to Austin for PG the rest of the year.

11u AAA.

Sorry wrong emoji meant to do thumbs up. There's quite a few Little River Academy guys I know that play on some Bandito teams Ward brothers & Lawton
agsalaska
AG
I dont think I know them. They may be older. The boys I have coached are all 10-12 now.

They have this one kid on the basketball team that is just ridiculous. 10 year old reigning threes from college ranges.
BurnetAggie99
Yea they in High School play Varsity Football & Baseball
Jbob04
AG
We are playing our first tournament of the season this weekend in Waco. Usssa tournament at River Bend park.
BurnetAggie99
Hit up Squirrely's Tavern after the games for some food. Pretty cool little place. We played at River Bend few times and also go to Squirrely's after the games.
Jbob04
AG
Thanks for the recommendation
agsalaska
AG
Jbob04 said:

We are playing our first tournament of the season this weekend in Waco. Usssa tournament at River Bend park.
See ya there!

You are 9u now?

We are 11u
Jbob04
AG
Yep, 9u for us
agsalaska
AG
Agsalaska being a total dumbass story from this morning

Daughter plays Select soccer. Good team but has always struggled with commitment from parents. Kids missing practice, skipping games, all that jazz. Two games left in the season before the State tournaments and 6 of our 17 girls are not making the trip to San Antonio. We currently sit in first place and need a win and a tie to finish the season off. And for the record this team has never won a trophy in the four years we have been there.

So when I found out that we would only have 11 on Saturday I was pretty pissed and decided this morning to address the elephant in the room on our Group Me. I even warned the coach. I made what I thought was a fairly professional but direct statement about commitment from parents to which another parent who is missing this weekend gave a professional reply. All civil but just getting it all out there.

Neither of us, in fact none of us, had any idea that all of the girls were invited at some point to the groupme chatroom. So as the parents are having this civil yet somewhat confrontational conversation, the girls were reading it.

We all found out they read it when one of the girls who is missing this weekend decided to respond to me and she chewed my ass. 14 year old girl. Roasted me. Destroyed me. With excellent punctuation and very well constructed sentences. It was quite impressive.

Immediately her mother texted her and told her to STFU. I responded just saying that we love her and her family. Then her mother and I texted each other in total shock about the girls reading it. In the end, pretty funny.

The lesson here is do not let your players have access to your groupme. Make it private.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Good for her. But unless she had some great reason to be skipping I couldn't care less.

Edit, this was not well thought out nor professional. What was her rebuttal
agsalaska
AG
Church event.

What I said absolutely needed to be said. The parent that replied felt like she needed to explain herself. I replied saying I understand how these are hard decisions. It was all just fine. We are all adults and all know and respect each other and love all the kids.

Then the child throws a hand grenade. She didn't say anything that was completely out of line. It was one of those things where a 14 year old child inserted herself into an adult conversation not knowing how to act or understanding that we are not going to meet in the parking lot to fight.

In the end it was kind of funny and probably broke the ice on what had been a relatively tense exchange.
FrioAg 00
AG
For my oldest that plays travel soccer, we've been lucky to have some great coaches and a great club - including not putting up with a lack of commitment.

They recruit constantly, even when our team is full. They move kids down that get passed up, no matter how long you've been on the team or with the club, or how active your parents are. And within the team, playing time is a function of where you are playing at that time. And yes, missed practices or late arrivals will get you benched every time.

What's the result - this team has gotten better and more competitive every year. They've moved from the middle to the top of the city leagues, then up to the regional (multi-state) leagues and has a really chance to move to the national premier league competition this year. We just lost 2-1 in the last 5 minutes against one of the best teams in the entire country. We have everyone's attention.

The other result is parents and players never get too comfortable dropping focus or trying to play politics. There is no way any players can stay at this level without being locked in.

By U16 we are beyond the point that any player can survive purely on talent. Neither can they make it on purely a great attitude. You have to have both or you will get passed/dropped and no one is going to apologize for it.

His younger sister is following in his footsteps, and we are already seeing similar things on her side from the club. I couldn't be happier and trust the process. My daughter was lucky to see what it takes by watching her older brother.
redline248
AG
My son's 8U coach just pointed to part of the bat and literally said "this is what's called the barrel."

I knew I should have told him no when he asked us to be on the team again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I get that could be tiresome. I bet you a few kids though we're like oh, that's what you mean when you say barrel.

At practice last week I was working on soft toss with a player. He was swinging all upper body he had even just came from a tee station working on hip rotation….I tried everything to explain to twist his hips.

That's when the little boy bulb went off on my head. I told him our goal is to try and pee on the pitcher. Right now your just pissing on the plate and that doesn't help anyone, it just makes a mess. So when we start to swing your hips have to adjust so you can pee on the pitcher….wouldn't ya know
redline248
AG
That's actually kind of brilliant
agsalaska
AG
Im going to try that.
mosdefn14
AG
redline248 said:

My son's 8U coach just pointed to part of the bat and literally said "this is what's called the barrel."

I knew I should have told him no when he asked us to be on the team again.
My 6U kids are mostly in kindergarten at a school that teaches phonics. When a kid isn't watching the ball to the bat but keeping his eyes locked on me the whole swing, I have him cover the plate with his bat and tell me his favorite phonogram that he sees (for instance S in Easton), and then tell him to find that phonogram every swing. 60% of the time it works every time.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Fairly certain half my 9yr olds would stare at me more and say what. I think I'll stick with the pee jokes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.