Astros 2016 somewhat probable, kinda conceivable march to the World Series

1,709,733 Views | 19466 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mwm
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great game
ClickClack
AG
Woo
iBrad
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:
We have won 4/5 series now. Man, that Rangers sweep really hurt his. The great thing is I believe 3 of the last 4 series wins have come against over .500 teams. That's a good sign. Maybe this train has gotten back on the rails a little bit. Just need Dallas to round back out into form.

We lost to Boston 1-3
Yep. That series hurt cause we were playing well for the most part. I think we go 7 games over .500 until the break though to be 2 under. I think that puts us squarely in the hunt. I refuse to quit on this team, especially with that giant homestand we have before the ASB.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
That Correa steal was an atrocious decision. These players need some direction. I don't wanna hear about green lights and "players decisions" and all that bs. If that's the case, coaches are pointless.

They are mostly young. They need direction.

With one out and up one run, it is not an atrocious decision to try to steal because that extra base would allow him to score on a sac fly, so it is not a red light type situation. This is the major leagues, players are given more leeway, and in a non-red light situation, the players with speed have the option to run if they feel like they can make it. If over time Correa shows he continually gets thrown out, then the green light in that situation becomes a red light but in no way is Correa's decision to steal in that situation on Hinch.

I didn't blame Hinch. While not a red light situation, it's not a green light situation either and that needs to be communicated from here on out. We have a young team and they have to realize they aren't superman. Getting thrown out at third with a red hot Gattis up is a big freakin deal.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG

Whoa.
iBrad
AG
In addition to Gomez's HR and 3 outfield assist, Bregman was 3 for 4 and Fischer hit his 9th HR. His average has been slowly climbing and is up to .265.

For Fresno, Tucker was 3 for 3 with a double and Worth was 3 for 5. Worth is now batting .350.
Sea Gull
AG
Dang Giles has been impressive as of late!
NotGibbs
quote:

Whoa.

9/10 this stat is about the Astros. Feels good to be on the other side for a change
Mr.Ackar07

If we pool our resources to come up with $125, we can order a #TOFA commemorative brick that will be added to the walkway around Minute Maid.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/fan_forum/commemorative_bricks.jsp
astros4545
AG
quote:

If we pool our resources to come up with $125, we can order a #TOFA commemorative brick that will be added to the walkway around Minute Maid.

Same price for a **** Gomez one?
Ag_07
AG
On the road this week so didn't get to watch but #TOFA

bigbass1170
AG
I'm down for this
Frok
AG
I'll be in the Corpus area this weekend so I'll be checking the Hooks out.

Maybe I can boo GoGo.

irish pete ag06
AG
I know I know... STAT GEEKY NUMBERS...

Fangraphs Baseruns still likes the Astros.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:

In for $20
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
I know I know... STAT GEEKY NUMBERS...

Fangraphs Baseruns still likes the Astros.

Do they do projections?
iBrad
AG
quote:
quote:

In for $20

Same!

Can we get another that says "Hinched"?
3B Paul 97
AG
http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/180319086/homers-ruled-the-day-among-top-prospects

The good news:
Astros No. 8 prospect Joe Musgrove didn't disappoint in his third Triple-A start as he scattered one run on five hits over a season-best seven innings to pace Fresno in a win against Oklahoma City. He struck out seven hitters without issuing a walk for a third time this season to improve his overall strikeout-to-walk ratio to 49/5 in 44 1/3 innings, while his ERA now sits at a miniscule 1.02.

Salt for the wound:
A's No. 14 prospect Daniel Mengden continued to roll with his third straight seven-inning gem for Triple-A Nashville, who went on to beat to Las Vegas in 12 innings. The right-hander allowed one run on four hits, walking one and striking out five. He's now allowed just five earned runs in 57 innings (0.79 ERA) this season between the Double- and Triple-A levels.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
need to bring Musgrove up and send Keuchel down
iBrad
AG
I decided to revisit the pitching talent we've lost in recent trades. Some of these sting a bit, particularly Tropeano, Mengden, and Hader because of the return we got for those guys. I really think Velasquez is all we'll miss from the Giles deal, but if Giles keeps pitching like he has been, it's a good swap.

Conger
Tropeano 3-2 2.86 ERA

Gattis
Mike Foltynewicz 1-2 3.95 ERA
Andrew Thurman 0-4 5.21 ERA (AA)

Kazmir
Daniel Mengden 4-0 0.79 ERA (AA/AAA)

Gomez/Fiers
Adrian Houser 2-4 6.38 ERA (AA)
Josh Hader 1-1 0.79 ERA (AA)

Giles
Vincent Velasquez 5-1 2.75 ERA
Brett Oberholtzer 2-0 7.29 ERA (in relief)
Thomas Eshelman 2-2 3.77 ERA (A+)
Mark Appel 3-3 4.46 ERA (AAA)
Harold Arauz 1-3 3.38 ERA (A)
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
I decided to revisit the pitching talent we've lost in recent trades. Some of these sting a bit, particularly Tropeano, Mengden, and Hader because of the return we got for those guys. I really think Velasquez is all we'll miss from the Giles deal, but if Giles keeps pitching like he has been, it's a good swap.

Conger
Tropeano 3-2 2.86 ERA

Gattis

Kazmir

Gomez/Fiers

Giles

At TCB we have a guy that is pretty well read on pitching mechanics, especially in regards to how they play into future injuries. He thinks that most of the guys they traded away (especially the more highly rated ones) were up the scale on risk for future injury.

Also, the Astros signed a few biomechanical scientists from NASA who have been studying pitching mechanics and injury prediction. They accidentally hinted that they believe they are ahead of the curve on this at a blogger night a couple of years ago.

By no means am I saying that Velasquez, Folty, Hader, etc. won't pan out. It's just selling an asset that has more risk from a position of depth.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
need to bring Musgrove up and send Keuchel down

Or DL stint.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Something is physically off with Keuchel, just like the way I believe something is physically wrong with Gomez.

In the case of Gomez, I truly believe that he physically can't see as good.

Both of the regressions are unprecedented.
rosco511
AG
Need to get Gomez some Ricky Vaughn glasses
Farmer1906
AG

quote:

These 3 hurt.
Basketball and Chain
AG
The whole Fiers/Gomez trade hurts. We got two scrubs and gave up some real talent.
astros4545
AG
Why do you think he has eye issues
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
To my untrained eye, he is just missing pitches badly. His timing seems to be okay, but he misses balls by several inches. This is probably more of a hunch than anything, but it makes sense to me.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

Conger
Tropeano 3-2 2.86 ERA

Gattis

Kazmir

Gomez/Fiers

Giles

But you've got to remember when reading this that there is only room for 5 pitchers in a rotation.

Retaining all that talent was impossible.
Ag_07
AG
Oh yeah...Jake playing over Tony.

Even I'll say it. #Hinched
E
AG
quote:

E
AG
Forgot emoji
rosco511
AG
What a dumb decision, especially given that a right-hander is on the mound. We need a sweep and momentum badly, no reason whatsoever for Jake to be starting tonight.
titanmaster_race
quote:

What. The. ****.

Not even a L/R thing. Man I fking hate so many of this club's gameday decisions.
First Page Last Page
Page 115 of 557

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.