Astros 2016 somewhat probable, kinda conceivable march to the World Series

1,704,418 Views | 19466 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mwm
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last years season, and thread for that matter, was a blast so let's get this rolling. Time to bring back TOFA, TuckerF$&@er, Springer dingers, Colby Jacks and whatever other clever analogies we come up with along the way. Can't wait for April 4!
astros4545
AG
Juan

Rangers suck
zgood10
AG
Go Stros #StrosB4Hoes #TOFA16
Ag_07
AG
Why the 6th??

Stros have a game against the Evil Empire April 4th
bigjag19
AG
Gregerson running his mouth about the closer role. 1 day of pitchers and catchers and he brings drama to the media.
Mr.Ackar07
Early Predictions:

AL ROY - A.J. Reed
AL Cy Young - D***** Keuchel
AL MVP - George Springer
zgood10
AG
Don't forget #shootit
Wabs
AG
JUAN! GO STROS!

mazag08
AG
In
Sea Gull
AG
Kind of early for this thread...
agdaddy04
AG
Let's ge it rolling... Go stros.
k20dub
AG
Uno
bigbass1170
AG
Let's goooooo
E
AG
#crushcity lets ride!
mAgnoliAg
AG
In on Juan
maca1028
quote:
Why the 6th??

Stros have a game against the Evil Empire April 4th

Fix 'd it
shano0603
AG
I didn't know the season started yet
TexAgs1992
Juan! Glad baseball is back after the Rockets have been incredibly depressing to watch. Looking forward to a Cubs/Astros World Series!
mazag08
AG
quote:
Juan! Glad baseball is back after the Rockets have been incredibly depressing to watch. Looking forward to a Cubs/Astros World Series!
I'm looking forward to every single player on the cubs regressing back to planet earth and having a very mediocre year where they dont come close to making the playoffs and have to ponder whether they should sell and rebuild or not.
AggieJ2002
AG
Finally here!
zgood10
AG
quote:
Technically no longer offseason either, so..
Deluxe
AG
One
iBrad
AG
quote:
quote:
Technically no longer offseason either, so..

Do we need a Spring Training thread?
texasaggie2015
AG
The thread title needs some asterisks
TREX01
Really concerned about the bottom of our lineup. Having Gattis Singleton and Castro as your potential 7-9 could give us so many no contact innings.

Altuve
Gomez
Correa
Springer
Rasmus
Valbuena
Gattis
Singleton
Castro

Good potential there but that could lead to so many empty innings.
jtamuk5
AG
This season will be special. Ags and Stros all the way.
The Lost
Just bought opening day tickets for the game at Yankee Stadium! Going to visit a friend that lives there and catch the game!
Ag_07
AG
We'll be there too visiting my SIL. Sec 420 Row 2

I can't wait!
pnsagdad
Ready to contract some gone-orrea
Forum Troll
AG
Astros and Dodgers 10-1 odds to win the WS only behind Cubs at 4-1.
mazag08
AG
I saw Dave Cameron of Fangraphs listed us as 26 out of 30 for best offseasons..

quote:
26. Houston Astros
Grade: C-
While I think they probably overpaid to land Ken Giles, I don't really hate any of the Astros moves in isolation, and getting Doug Fister for $7 million could prove to be a very nice addition if he's healthy. But given where the Astros sit on the win-curve, this felt like a potentially missed opportunity to add talent and dramatically improve their chances of getting back to the postseason. Going into 2016 with holes at first base and designated hitter might prove to be mistakes, especially if A.J. Reed doesn't turn into a rookie of the year candidate, and the team's second-tier position player group doesn't look strong enough to carry the team if they don't get production from those spots.
This isn't so much a grade on what the Astros did, but more on what they didn't do; for a team in their position, I think it could have been worthwhile to be a bit more aggressive in upgrading for the short-term.

First of all, Dave is an idiot.

Secondly, he fails to mention the resigning of Rasmus, trading Conger, and the fact that we didn't attempt to fix our problems by loading up on backloaded deals like other teams. He also fails to mention that AJ Reed isn't our only option at first.

Dave has always had a negative slant towards Houston. Last year, he predicted us last in the division, and refused to admit that we were more than a fluke until around September.
rosco511
AG
While I can see that reasonable people may disagree about whether our offseason was considered just average or above average (and this depends on how valuable people believe Giles is to us currently and in the future and whether one of the players in our system will fill at least one of our holes), there is no way any reasonable person can grade our offseason at 26th. We acquired a top notch closer talent and return all significant pieces from a team that was several outs away from beating the eventual World Series champs. There is no way we are 26th.
Ag_07
AG
Count me in on this boat.

I didn't think we had a very good offseason. I thought we missed on better addressing some needs, but no way we had the 26th worst.

I would probably have us in the middle of the pack as far as offseasons go.

With that said I also think we didn't have THAT many holes to fill so we weren't in need of a big offseason.
mazag08
AG
I agree with that Ag_07.

We filled by far our biggest need and didn't give up anything that can't be replenished in mid season trades or a good draft.

And my point was that even though we didn't directly address 1st and 3rd, we also didn't abandon the model that got us to where we are.

We are no worse than middle of the pack as far as offseasons go.
Ag_07
AG
And BTW this is the point of waiting until the season starts to start the season thread.

We now have a discussion about the offseason on the 2016 season thread.
Last Page
Page 1 of 557

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.