*****Official Texas Rangers 2016 Season Thread*****

1,756,380 Views | 19395 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mozart Paintings
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a note, as we celebrate our new talent...

Here are some guys we traded. The year (2011, 2011 & 2008) were the year Texas drafted them:
quote:
2011: Kyle Hendricks (26 now, 25 his 1st full season) is with the Cubbies: 15 GS \ 2.76 ERA \ 1.051 WHIP (Dempster)
2011: Jerad Eickoff (26 now in his 1st full season) is with Philly: 16 GS \ 3.38 ERA \ 1.240 WHIP (Hamels)
2008: Tanner Roark (29 now, 27 his 1st full season) is with Washington: 17 GS \ 2.93 ERA \ 1.230 WHIP (Cristian Guzman)
Jake Thompson was traded to Philly (Hamels) and there is mounting speculation he'll get the call.

I don't know how to collate International signings... but that right their... Roark, Eickoff & Hendricks is a pretty salty rotation.

Jerad Eickoff (26-Philly): 22 GS, 3.68 ERA, 1.212 WHIP, 132.0 IP, 112 SO. Traded in 2015 at the deadline for Hamels
Kyle Hendricks (26-Cubs): 20 GS, 2.22 ERA, 1.058 WHIP, 125.2 IP, 108 SO. Traded 2012 at the deadline for Dumpster
Tanner Roark (29-Wash): 21 GS, 2.96 ERA, 1.163 WHIP, 136.2 IP, 113 SO. Traded in 2010 at the deadline for Cristian Guzman

Jake Thompson (22-AAA) is expected to get the call soon. At AAA, 21 GS, 3.05 ERA, 1.095 WHIP, 129.2 IP, 87 SO
Luis Ortiz (20-AA) will likely join that crew in 2 years.
Dillon Tate (22-A) may or may not develop into a SP. Could end up being a RP.

Note, Eickoff, Hendricks, Roark and Ortiz are ALL in the NL, now.

The context of this post was centered around when some SPs finally make it regularly to the rotation.

Some patience still for the following:
Chi Chi is 24.
Nick Martinez is 25.
Martin Perez is 25.

cmiller00
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
let's be honest. This lineup is stacked from top to bottom. Everything after the 5-hole is fluid and should be. I put Elvis at 9 because he's the only person in the backend with some sort of speed on the bases (a typical 9 hole).

Texas is no longer playing small ball; we're about to be playing Mash ball - homers n' doubles. It's too bad we'll get mowed down by the Giants again in the WS.
Pitching wins in the post season. The Rangers filled some holes yesterday....but not the biggest one in my opinion. I wish they could have gotten a SP for Gallo. Outside of Cole, there are some question marks in the rotation.

Sounds like the teams with excellent starting pitching were wanting a selection of players we weren't willing to give up.

Yep I think JD thought there was more value trying to add runs to our team than trying to subtract from the other team.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
Tanner Roark (29-Wash): 21 GS, 2.96 ERA, 1.163 WHIP, 136.2 IP, 113 SO. Traded in 2010 at the deadline for Cristian Guzman
ouch
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
The thing about the trades is that everyone we traded for (outside of Beltran) is under contract next season. I assume we will try and get Desmond back, and Moreland may walk after this season. But other than those two guys (barring a trade or an injury) just about everyone in the lineup is coming back next season.

So we didn't need to go all in for a rental starting pitcher, because we will have an opportunity next season with just about everyone we had this year. What the trades allowed us to do is extend the bullpen more and not have to go crazy about needing another starter, or allow us to wait a bit.
Yea I'm betting Moreland walks and Gallo is our everyday 1st base next year.

Trading Brinson put a small amount of pressure to sign Desmond in the off season. It seems like he wants to be here and we want him here. But if he's looking for a huge payday post 30yrs old... we might not resign him.

The literal elephant in the room is Fielder. I'm sure the front office is hoping he retires so they don't have the headache of figuring out what to do with a 20+ million dollar jelly bean.

That Fielder salary would go a long way to signing Desmond and another SP.
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
let's be honest. This lineup is stacked from top to bottom. Everything after the 5-hole is fluid and should be. I put Elvis at 9 because he's the only person in the backend with some sort of speed on the bases (a typical 9 hole).

Texas is no longer playing small ball; we're about to be playing Mash ball - homers n' doubles. It's too bad we'll get mowed down by the Giants again in the WS.
Pitching wins in the post season. The Rangers filled some holes yesterday....but not the biggest one in my opinion. I wish they could have gotten a SP for Gallo. Outside of Cole, there are some question marks in the rotation.

Sounds like the teams with excellent starting pitching were wanting a selection of players we weren't willing to give up.
I understand that......and I'm glad JD didn't bend over for the soap to get a SP.

Question for DA94.....what would be the Ranger equivalent to what SF gave up for Moore?
DallasAg 94
I know we've all gotten excited about the RP, but I haven't seen anyone sum up what it looks like:

LH
Diekman: 45 GP, 2.37 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 38.0 IP, 20 H, 40 SO, 14 BB
Alvarez: 17 GP, 3.00 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 15.0 IP, 11 H, 28 SO, 5 BB
Claudio: 20 GP, 3.04 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 26.2 IP, 32 H, 18 SO, 6 BB

RH
Dyson: 51 GP, 2.42 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 48.1 IP, 41 H, 35 SO, 14 BB, 22 Saves
Bush: 33 GP, 2.94 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 33.2 IP, 29 H, 31 SO, 8 BB
Jeffress: 47 GP, 2.22 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 44.2 IP, 45 H, 35 SO, 11 BB, 27 Saves
Barnette: 41 GP, 2.08 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 47.2 IP, 41 H, 34 SO, 12 BB
Kela: 15 GP, 5.40 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 15.0 IP, 10 H, 23 SO, 5 BB

Love the BP.

Everyone of them can dial it up to get the SO. Jeffress is the only one who isn't giving up less than 1H/IP. I wonder how much the defense plays in that?! We will see.

Alvarez and Diekman can be brought in to shut down a LHB.

One thing I see, is a tremendous number of BB. 64 BB in 227.1 IP. That's 2.53 BB/9IP. 187 H is 0.82 H/IP.

That's a 1.10 WHIP.

I'd rather a BB than a H.

We need 6.0 IP from our SP. Only 5.0 IP would work, as well, as you could use Hamels and Darvish for some outs in non-start games.

<Mistakes fixed: Barnette to RHP. I added Kela, even though his 5.40 ERA had me leaving him off. Added Claudio>
KT 90
AG
Barnette = RHP, not LHP.
SbisaVictim95
AG
quote:
quote:

A rotation gets you to the playoffs, in the playoffs your rotation is only 3 deep. We have 2 aces and Perez is serviceable but hopefully the Cobra comes back and gets it together the last month of the season. Colby has been great in the past in the postseason.
Squirrel Master
AG
Also, you're forgetting Kela. And unless its game 7, you're not going to see Darvish or Hamels coming on in relief.
Squirrel Master
AG
I've seen multiple posts that keep saying in the playoffs you go to a 3 man rotation. That really isn't true. For all rounds of the playoffs, you'll be starting 4 guys.
Mozart Paintings
AG
quote:
I know we've all gotten excited about the RP, but I haven't seen anyone sum up what it looks like:

LH

RH

Love the BP.

Everyone of them can dial it up to get the SO. Jeffress is the only one who isn't giving up less than 1H/IP. I wonder how much the defense plays in that?! We will see.

One thing I see, is a tremendous number of BB. 64 BB in 227.1 IP. That's 2.53 BB/9IP. 187 H is 0.82 H/IP.

That's a 1.10 WHIP.

We need 6.0 IP from our SP. Only 5.0 IP would work, as well, as you could use Hamels and Darvish for some outs in non-start games.

Disappointed in your mistakes
DallasAg 94
quote:
Question for DA94.....what would be the Ranger equivalent to what SF gave up for Moore?

SF gave up:

Lucius Fox (19-SS-A.SALL): 75 G, 285 AB, .207, 2 HR, 25 SB. He is now Tampa's #7 prospect
Michael Santos (21-RHP-A.SALL): 20 GS, 3.68 ERA, 1.125 WHIP, 58.2 IP, 44 SO <6'4", 170lb>. He is Tampa's #30 prospect
Matt Duffy (25-3B-MLB): .253, 4 HR, 8 SB, .313 OBP

I looked at it when it was first announced, and did't have any equivalents come to mind, off hand.

Hickory is our A club and they, too, are in the SALL, so we can look there to see if there is anything.

For Lucius Fox... definitely Yeyson Yrizarri:
Yeyson Yrizarri (19-SS-A.SALL): 88 G, 338 AB, 5 HR, 17 SB. He is our #20 prospect

For Santos...
Pedro Payano (21-RHP-A.SALL) could be mentioned, but he is on the DL. He is the younger brother to Victor Payano (AA-Frisco).
13 GS, 2.08 ERA, 1.19 WHIP. He is 6'2", 170. He is our #21 prospect
Maybe Erick Swanson (whome we included in

Matt Duffy (25)?! His career numbers: .281 BA. In 2015: 149 G, .295, 12 HR, 12 SB

So, a regular 3B with mediocre power and some speed?!

I'm guessing maybe Gallo (22)?! Rua (26)? Alberto (23)? DeShields (23)? I joke with Alberto and Delino.

People are going to laugh at Rua, but in 72 GP, .273, 7 HR, 7 SB, .345 OBP.

So... maybe Gallo, Yrizarri & P.Payano would be similar.

I'm guessing JD just didn't feel it was the right move.

Lucas Harrell went 32 GS, 3.76 ERA, 1.358 WHIP for Houston in 2012.
AJG is 13 GS, 3.99 ERA, 1.26 WHIP
Perez is 22 GS, 4.22 ERA, 1.44 WHIP
Colby is 15 GS, 3.21 ERA, 1.02 WHIP
Moore is 21 GS, 4.08 ERA, 1.269 WHIP

With Perez, Darvish, Colby, Holland, and AJG all returning from injured past seasons, last thing on his mind may be to add another SP coming back from TJ.

MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
I've seen multiple posts that keep saying in the playoffs you go to a 3 man rotation. That really isn't true. For all rounds of the playoffs, you'll be starting 4 guys.
Yes...I was thinking the same thing. So if Yu is healthy, you are in good shape and go with the 2 hot hands between Griffin, Lewis, and Perez (I think Holland is done). If Yu goes down again......uh oh.
corleoneAg99
AG
On the Matt Moore trade, SF gave up Duffy and their #4 and #19 prospects.(according to BA)

With Duffy, the Rangers don't really have a comparable, right? A 5 win player coming off being runner up to rookie of the year.

So you could guess that when JD called Tampa, they were probably asking for Profar, Lulu or Brinson or Guzman, and then a depth prospect.

And rightfully so, JD said "pass".

Matt Moore is a high ball pitcher, whose home is a pitchers park, with a 4.67 xFIP. 7.5 k/9 and has been prone to the HR.

Could he get back to 2012 status? Maybe, although I'd much rather bet on that brining him to a pitchers park(like SF) versus the Ballpark, right?

I just think the price for starting pitching this year was either a top 20 overall prospect and/or guys at MLB already contributing.

JD didn't want to do that and I don't blame him unless I can get Sale or Archer. And for those guys, CWS and TBD wanted MLB guys AND premium prospects.

Again, pass. I think JD did the right thing there and then pivoted to upgrading other places.
Mr Gigem
AG
We should do a TexAgs season ticket group
DallasAg 94
quote:
Barnette = RHP, not LHP.
He will be throwing from the left side, the rest of the way...

J/K... I always get him and Claudio mixed.
DallasAg 94
quote:
Also, you're forgetting Kela. And unless its game 7, you're not going to see Darvish or Hamels coming on in relief.
I hadn't included Kela or Claudio because now you are up to 8 RP. You will have 5 SPs: Hamels, Darvish, Perez, Colby and Holland\Harrell.

8 position, DH, +C. No way you roll with 13 P and 2 bench players. Yes... you will see Darvish and Hamels in relief if necessary in a Game 3 and Game 4. If only for 1-2 hitters.

Additionally, in a WS, you are better off with an additional bench player over a pitcher.
corleoneAg99
AG
Two other names the Ticket was just covering:

- Pomeranz - would have cost a top 20 overall prospect and he's facing a massive increase in innings. Pass.

- Cashner - a rental with bad medicals who has a lower WAR than AJ Griffin. Pass.

It just wasn't a good year to look for short term rotation help.
DallasAg 94
quote:
quote:

LH

RH

Love the BP.

That's a 1.10 WHIP.

Disappointed in your mistakes
I'm far from perfect.

I left off Kela and Claudio because I don't think they make the roster. Aside from Barnette, what other mistakes do I need to fix?
Mr Gigem
AG
Make the roster for what? playoffs?
DallasAg 94
quote:
Make the roster for what? playoffs?
Correct. I don't think Kela and Claudio make the 25-Man playoff roster.
Mr Gigem
AG
Interesting.

It'll be tough to leave Kela off the roster, you would think.

Good problem to have though considering how many pieces the BP has now
ChoppinDs40
AG
Kela will be on the roster.
DallasAg 94
quote:
Interesting.

It'll be tough to leave Kela off the roster, you would think.

Good problem to have though considering how many pieces the BP has now
I agree. Things could change.

I just don't think JD went out and got Alvarez and Jeffress to leave them off the roster.

I don't think Holland makes the playoff roster, either. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Holland were picked up on waiver claims and traded.
DallasAg 94
quote:
Kela will be on the roster.
Who is your playoff BP, as of now?
duck79
AG
Holland threw 30 pitches in a simulated game today.

Alberto homered off of him. Lol
PacifistAg
AG
Today's lineup:

Profar LF
Desmond CF
Beltran DH
Beltre 3B
Odor 2B
Lucroy C
Mazara RF
Moreland 1B
Andrus SS

Darvish P
ChoppinDs40
AG
quick rundown:

9 players + Rua, Profar, Deshields, Cheerios = 13

Starters: Cole, Yu, Colbra, Martin, AJ = 5

BP: RHP - Jeffress, Dyson, Barnette, Kela, Bush LHP - Diekman, Claudio/Alvarez = 7

The decision to be made is what Lefty in BP stays? or is Holland in the BP?

Kela or Bush makes it and it looks like this... Jeffress, Dyson, Barnette, Kela/Bush, Diekman, Holland, Claudio/Alvarez.

I could see Holland being done and his stupid Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions can be reserved for his pick-up street hockey games in Ohio. If that's the case, then I think you roll with 2 LHP in BP and take the HEAT of Kela and Bush.

I like Kela over Bush though. Bush has been very suspect the last few times out. People are picking up on that curve and his fastball doesn't have much movement.

Also, Diekman's role is now changed in that he can be a situational guy now and isn't just your 8th inning set-up guy. Getting Jeffress was huge for the BP.
Cynical_Texan
AG

mhayden
quote:

My feeling on it is that we have a "#4 guy", comparable to what WS winners have thrown out there in the past. I don't mind seeing Colby, Perez or even Holland pitch 1 game in a series.

It's when you have to have a guy like that pitch 2 games in a series that you really have to lean on your #1 and #2 to win.

It's tough to doubt Colby based on what we've seen, but eventually time is going to catch up with him -- and going into a playoff series pitching Colby/Perez or Colby/Holland or Colby/Griffin back-to-back... Eeek, tough for me to feel confident about that.
adamhdonnell
AG
Couldn't we carry 4 starters and an 8th bullpen arm? Am I mistaken in thinking that's pretty typical in the post season. I'd rather have somebody that's used to coming out of the bullpen be out there rather than Holland.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I could see that - AJ could be a long-man if you don't want him to start.
Cynical_Texan
AG
I'm betting Claudio is sent down or packing and Holland is your SP/lefty bullpen.

Unfortunately.
Dock
quote:

Cynical_Texan
AG
Agree Dock.

Big lefty/righty mix with two? switch hitters.

Hard to find a weakness in that lineup.
First Page Last Page
Page 366 of 555

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.