************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

94,438 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Max Power
HotardRat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please.

Just leave.
CFTXAG10
AG
Miller to Charlotte! Scoot or Amen coming to Houston
CFTXAG10
AG
Portland taking Scoot. Looks like Amen is our guy

Harry Dunne
Amen is going to be a star.
Woods Ag
AG
Dude... **** off! Seriously. **** off.
dbryanc87
Long time lurker here. GS is a dirty spurs fan, but I would take 10 more of him on this thread if it meant you and your garbage takes would leave. Seriously, post less.
Woods Ag
AG
And you can get ****ed too.. idk what I said to ge this kind of criticism. Meh, don't care either.

True little wusses here.
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Whitmore?
Guitarsoup
AG
Prob
Woods Ag
AG
Guessing so if he sticks on the board.
CFTXAG10
AG

CFTXAG10
AG
LFG

HotardRat
AG
Holy **** we won the draft
rausr
AG
Love it! Great get - "a steal"
CFTXAG10
AG
It was him apparently

Woods Ag
AG
Great get. Wasn't expecting him to fall anywhere near us at 20
coastalAg
AG
Thompson + Whitmore without giving up any assets is a nice day at the office.

Time to trade KJ and Tate now and clear some roster space.
coastalAg
AG
Also, shoutout to MJ for saving us from Brandon Miller!
Max Power
AG
I was bummed we didn't get the chance to take Henderson. But getting Whitmore, who was mocked to us previously at 4 in some drafts, at 20 is a really nice consolation. I went to bed expecting no one of real consequence, happy surprise to wake up to.
coastalAg
AG
Happy with how last night went, but still not quite sure how this will all come together. I will repeat my concern with Stone that he has been good at finding value, but it remains to be seen if he can put together a competent roster.

Tons of athleticism and raw talent, not a lot of polished skill or shooting ability. Whitmore is also another guy who has shown inconsistent intensity and has a tendency to be lazy on defense.

Udoka can for sure get more out of these guys, but if you have too many guys with the wrong makeup, there is only so much a coach can do. Im fine overpaying for a couple of veterans just for the presence in the locker room.

Comparatively, I really like what the Jazz have done to build a pretty competitive looking roster in short order. Its easy to see how those pieces can fit together and be successful. Same for OKC. Wallace is a great fit for their current team. Indiana and Orlando are two other rosters that I felt really started to come together last night.

Excited for next season, but will remain skeptical until we start to see progress.

M.C. Swag
AG
Congrats to Houston. Getting the 2 best athletes in the draft is insane. I have no idea why Whitmore fell to 20, but Houston has the resources and time to address whatever physical red flag caused him to slide.

Amen is probably my favorite player in this draft (along with his brother).
Woods Ag
AG
I agree..

We have talent in leaps and bounds. Udoka is the key to unlock all of it. I hope he can... He had some great assistants on that Celtics staff to help him out.

I like the roster especially if Udoka can get them to play defense. We're still 2 years away from knowing what we got I think. Both the guys we drafted are talented but development guys. Should be exciting to see them come together.
CFTXAG10
AG
Stone stayed true to his word always taking "best available" and not drafting based on fit. Getting a lotto ticket in Whitmore was fantastic. Will he bust and prove those who passed on him right? Maybe, but its certainly 100% worth the risk. Tons of media/analysts are calling him a steal at 20 for a reason.

Which brings me to my next point. Nothing in the draft is certain, but Stone is building quite the track record through all these young picks the last few years. He's like the anti-Morey.
Guitarsoup
AG
I wasn't high on Whitmore before the draft when people had him in the top 5 or top 10, but he is definitely worth the risk at 20.
superaggie73
AG
Woods Ag said:

I agree..

We have talent in leaps and bounds. Udoka is the key to unlock all of it. I hope he can... He had some great assistants on that Celtics staff to help him out.

And 3 of those assistants have already come on staff with him here
3 Toed Pete
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Stone stayed true to his word always taking "best available" and not drafting based on fit. Getting a lotto ticket in Whitmore was fantastic. Will he bust and prove those who passed on him right? Maybe, but its certainly 100% worth the risk. Tons of media/analysts are calling him a steal at 20 for a reason.

Which brings me to my next point. Nothing in the draft is certain, but Stone is building quite the track record through all these young picks the last few years. He's like the anti-Morey.
I was at most home games during that last rebuild and the only good draft pick I remember Morey making was Parsons in the 2nd round. I liked a lot of what Morey did but none of those first round picks (usually in the 11th-19th spot) he made ever really did anything.
Guitarsoup
AG
The good:

Aaron Brooks

Parsons

Carl Landry

Buddinger

Capela

The awful:

Morey traded Aaron Brooks for Goran Dragic and a 1st and then Morey let Dragic walk and Dragic was an All-NBA player two years later.

Selected Nic Batum and traded him for Donte Green.

Patrick Patterson

Traded the 2011 1st, 2013 1st and filler for Jonny Flynn and DMo.

Marcus Morris over Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, Vuvecic, and Tobias.

3 picks in 2012: Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, Terrence Jones.

Sam Dekker

CFTXAG10
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Marcus Morris over Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, Vuvecic, and Tobias.
CFTXAG10
AG
Guitarsoup said:

3 picks in 2012: Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, Terrence Jones.
When Jordan Hawkins came off the board at 14 one of the ESPN analysts made the comparison to Lamb and made it sound like it was a good thing.
Woods Ag
AG
Gosh they were brutal...

Remember they drafted Royce White and then it seemed immediate that they announced "oh yea, he doesn't fly on planes"

FML he's a head case.
NoahAg
Woods Ag said:

Gosh they were brutal...

Remember they drafted Royce White and then it seemed immediate that they announced "oh yea, he doesn't fly on planes"

FML he's a head case.

As a Mavs fan I was dumbfounded by that whole ordeal. Did Rockets mgmt think they were gonna fix him?
Guitarsoup
AG
NoahAg said:

Woods Ag said:

Gosh they were brutal...

FML he's a head case.

As a Mavs fan I was dumbfounded by that whole ordeal. Did Rockets mgmt think they were gonna fix him?
I worked one of the two games he played in pre-season, and he really did have fantastic passing and handles. For as crazy as he was, he had pretty solid BBIQ. But he was way too ****ing gone to use that high a pick.

I want to say Morey said something along the lines of "we had 3 picks, so we can gamble some and he has talent."

Evan Fornier, Jae Crowder, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, Will Barton, etc were all on the board. Plus the ****ty Plumlee.
Harry Dunne
3 Toed Pete said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I was at most home games during that last rebuild and the only good draft pick I remember Morey making was Parsons in the 2nd round. I liked a lot of what Morey did but none of those first round picks (usually in the 11th-19th spot) he made ever really did anything.
That's because at the end of the day he's still a fat nerd who never played at any level and therefore doesn't know much about the intangible aspects of basketball.

He's obviously a brilliant dude and has done a ton for the game of basketball and the way we think about it. There is certainly a prominent place for analytics in all sports and Morey is leading the charge on that. But the nerds who think they are smarter than the game are just as bad (on the other end of the spectrum) as "good face, good jaw" mouth breathing scouts in Moneyball that think that because they have played and watched a ton of baseball they just "know".
HotardRat
AG
I raise Joey Dorsey as the 2nd worst all-time bad Morey pick, behind Royce White of course

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.