*****Official 2014-2015 Memphis Grizzlies Thread*****

170,676 Views | 1179 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Zach Randolph's "punch" on Steven Adams was worthy of a 1 game suspension in last year's semi, then D Howard will get at least 1 game.

As a reminder, you can watch the play on you tube, but you actually have to be told it was a punch, and not a push, and watch in slow motion to see actual contact with the head.
Guitarsoup
AG
Link? I didn't see it. It's the fist clinched? Fist clinched is auto one game.
Iowaggie
AG
I was going to say that I remembered that last year, I wa agreeing with the decision, but then I checked last year's thread, and I think it is pretty safe to say I disagreed with it. However, Ganondorf had an outstanding reply then, and it is still funny.
Iowaggie
AG
I thought I would bury this here. I have a few extra passes to the FedEx St Jude Golf Classic, either Saturday or Sunday.

Let me know if interested.

Iowaggie
AG
The Orlando Magic on Wednesday traded guard Luke Ridnour to Memphis for the rights to Latvian forward Janis Timma, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Godspeed Janis Timma, and thanks for the memories, my favorite of which is googling to see who you were.

And, I guess that exhausts my memories of Janis Timma's time as a Memphis Grisslies.

Iowaggie
AG
Gigem Trevas
Houston Summit
AG
Barnes
aggie_2001_2005
I think you have to sell your soul to root for a team with Matt Barnes on it. My regards.
aggie_2001_2005
Oh, and I'm sure this makes Gasol just happy as a clam.
Iowaggie
AG
Only acquiring Kendrick Perkins could have been worse.
Guitarsoup
AG
Barnes is a perfect fit next to Tony Allen.
Iowaggie
AG
Justin Timberlake being called in for Marc Gasol duty.

Gasol is Memphis video by JT.
Iowaggie
AG
Clippers now may be interested in Kosta Koufos, possibly a S&T.

Koufos is a solid center, and while the chances of holding on to him are slim, I would prefer he goes east, not west.
Iowaggie
AG
From today's CA:

quote:
Gasol's big brother, Pau, added more intrigue Monday when asked why Marc had not yet signed a new contract with the Griz or another franchise since the NBA free agency period began July 1.

"He has not signed because the decision has to do a bit with the team," Pau told Spanish publication Marca during an appearance at his Popular Pau Gasol Academy.
Gigem Trevas
Iowaggie
AG
4stringAg
4stringAg
AG
Gigem Trevas
Iowaggie
AG
Grizz getting to hoist another championship banner....in the practice gym...for a summer league championship.

This time Orlando!!!

Didn't feel it actually meant enough to watch any of the games, but still a championship of any kind is worth celebrating!

Now onto the as important ... pre-season!!!

Gigem Trevas
quote:
Grizz getting to hoist another championship banner....in the practice gym...for a summer league championship.

This time Orlando!!!

Didn't feel it actually meant enough to watch any of the games, but still a championship of any kind is worth celebrating!

Now onto the as important ... pre-season!!!

Guitarsoup
AG
Tony Allen impersonation:

https://instagr.am/p/5Xg6boBzsb
Iowaggie
AG
For lack of news, the 2015 Preseason schedule:

Oct. 6: vs Houston, 7 p.m.
Oct. 8: vs. Maccabi Haifa (Israel), 7 p.m.
Oct. 12: vs. Cleveland at Columbus, Ohio, 6 p.m.
Oct. 16: vs. Oklahoma City, 7 p.m.
Oct. 18: vs. Minnesota, 5 p.m.
Oct. 21: at Atlanta, 6:30 p.m.
Oct. 23: at Orlando, 6 p.m.
Iowaggie
AG
Grizzlies open at home with LeBron and the Cavs. Cavs open with Bulls the previous night.

Interesting that the league opened with quite a few teams on B2B.

No 4 games in 5 nights, which was a way overdue emphasis this year.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
I know this isn't the "right" place for this, but at all the Grizzlies games, they do a salute to military where they honor some local serviceman/woman from the area who serves (and I'm sure most teams do).

However at the Lakers game, they did an WW2/Iwo Jima vet instead named Jimmy Keep (who happens to be returning to Iwo Jima pretty soon, although I'm not sure he's all that excited about it). He's 88. I looked up a story on him in the paper, and like many other WW2 guys, he sounds pretty amazingly brave.

Here he is helping an officer out, and he said he remembers it because he remembers giving the officer an earful: "Because he was crying like a baby, saying he was scarred for life. I said, 'You're getting off this rock. I'll trade places with you.'"

Some other nuggets from a story in Commercial Appeal

"It was a slaughter ...," Keep said of the legendary five-week World War II battle that began Feb. 19, 1945, and claimed the lives of nearly 7,000 Marines. "It was a twenty-four-seven situation of kill or be killed."
It was on Saipan that Keep manned a 50-caliber machine gun during one of the infamous banzai charges in which Japanese soldiers threw themselves at Marine lines in human-wave assaults. "It was the bloodiest thing you ever saw," he said. "The damn fools wouldn't quit coming."Afterward, a "spit-and-polish" lieutenant walked by and congratulated Keep because his "pile of bodies was bigger" than those of the other Marine defenders. The compliment enraged Keep."I was going to kill that son of a *****. I could still hear them (the Japanese) scream. I could hear myself scream. Something in me snapped."As the assault on Iwo Jima began, Keep and Cirulla were ordered to drive an amphibious tank across the narrow neck of the island below Mount Suribachi to scout the beach on the opposite shore. But an enemy shell disabled the vehicle, forcing the two to dash across the island on foot."Every Japanese soldier ever born was shooting at us," Keep said.Somehow, neither man was hit. From that point on, other Marines called them "rain-walkers" a name suggesting that if they could run through intense enemy fire without getting hit, surely they could walk through rain without getting wet.
"What was so bad about Iwo is that, early on, Marines would fall dead from gunshot wounds, and no one knew where it was coming from," Keep said."Turns out, there were tunnels under there huge tunnels, you could drive a car through them."As recon men, Keep and Cirulla were among those charged with the task of clearing the tunnels. Every other day for about two weeks, they descended into the darkness to flush out the enemy.

The close-quarter fighting was beyond terrifying. Once, when Keep and Cirulla neared a corner in a tunnel, they knew there were many Japanese troops on the other side they could smell them. "I imagine they could smell us, too," Keep said.The two Marines lobbed grenades, ricocheting them off the tunnel walls. The Japanese entire squad of 15 or so men responded by charging at Keep and Cirulla, only to be mowed down.

He's a Zach Randolph fan..."They're not afraid to bust your ass to get to the basket, especially (Zach) Randolph. Randolph's my man."

And Zach calls him Mr. Keep.

----now back to your regularly scheduled Grizzlies thread----

Year old thread bump in honor of the WWII Vet who was used to search tunnels in Iwo Jima and recently passed away. A Somewhat amazing story on him.

Fought all 36 days at Iwo Jima.

"You complete your mission, or you die. There's nothing more to it"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.