******BTHO Vanderbilt******

4,683 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mullokmotx
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we don't change something right now we're going to lose this game. We're just helping them waste time right now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Our team isn't hustling as a whole either unfortunately.

Bad combo.
redd38
AG
quote:
Our team isn't hustling as a whole either unfortunately.

Bad combo.

Little motivation to hustle off the ball when it's unlikely that your teammate will get the ball to you.
redd38
AG
Looks like Aggies have shut it down. And just like that another goal for Vandy.
Hand Of God
AG
This season could get ugly if our injured players don't make it back quickly. One of the worst offensive performances ever from A&M.
redd38
AG
We can't win with this personnel.
Penaltykick
Hajdu out for the season (ACL). Bates out for at least a few weeks. Watt redshirt. Malherbe unknown when she will return. Harryman? Did not play tonight. That's 5 starters we are missing. A lot to overcome, but still should have had a much better showing. 3 shots on goal is not going to win any SEC games.
Rambotx
Lack of offense indicator: No really good corner kicks.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
Lack of offense indicator: No corner kicks.
we had 3 in about a minute span. Didn't threaten with any of them though
Hand Of God
AG
Yikes. Could this be the year we miss the tourney? Without Bates, this team won't score many goals.
redd38
AG
Welp, that was an all-around s***ty game. At least no one else got hurt.

I expect we'll see more of the same unless we can get some Mr. Miyagi-esque healing on our injured players.
mullokmotx
AG
Credit the Vandy coach for finding a way to stop us. Only 1 goal in 180 minutes against his team.
If you count Mikaela out in the first half, we were missing 6 of our expected starters. I'll be interested to see a better replay on the takedowns of Callyn and Mikaela. Our first road SEC game last year we were dominated by USC in the second half, giving up 2 goals, and that was right after Emily got hurt. Then we lost to GA for the first time, and now we go to Bama who we have not lost to.
Aggie Futbol
Going forward Harvey, Pounds, Mahlerbe, Paulson, Wright, Shaw, Rice, Harryman will have their leadership and soccer skills challenged. As the upper class women let's see if they can act in a mature fashion and buckle down.

Harvey is a real talent but looses control of her temper. She is clearly our best player but always seem to look so unhappy. That does not help in our current situation. Harryman has a history of being far too fragile. Let's see if she sucks it up a bit to help the team. Pounds needs to raise her level on the ball and use her brain a bit more. Wright and Shaw are both struggling now. Poor possession. Paulson has been solid but needs to show a bit more leadership. Not much more Rice can do. Mahlerbe is needed back in the field. Hopefully the injury recovery is nearly behind her.

Underclass women aren't going to be much help for a while. Being without Hajdu and Bates is semi devastating, particularly Bates. Schmidt is solid but inexperienced. The freshmen don't bring much to the table yet. Arrieta works hard but is lacking some of the skill tools. The other freshmen need to keep it simple, play hard, make accurate passes and remain poised.

This will be a grind it out year that will only be successful if they play remarkable team defense. The two goals given up today trouble me, especially the second one.
CDub06
AG
Not good, guys. Not good.
HiddenAg2
A really poor performance tonight from A&M. Vandy is a below average team and giving up 2 goals to them is borderline criminal. I thought the team looked lost tonight and the concentration level wasn't there at all. The playing surface was very slow and our girls had a tough time dealing with the slow speed on the game because of it and therefore didn't time their passes correctly. I don't remember many 3 pass or more combinations all night and we couldn't get settled on the ball to do anything useful with it most of the time. Right now A&M has absolutely no offensive rhythm or attack and simply cannot create enough chances to score goals with this current lineup. Tonight was a complete failure across the board from the coaching to all three levels of the field. It was embarrassing.

Obviously we are playing with about half a roster right now and we're now down about 6 starters from the beginning of the season, which included Harvey missing the first half. That's just not something you can recover from realistically, but I do expect the team to give great effort and hustle and want it more than the other team. That didn't happen tonight. Vandy outhustled and outplayed A&M for enough stretches of the game to put itself in position to win the game. It really is mind boggling to see how many players are now out with injury or redshirt. As most predicted, the loss of Bates just devastated the offense and with Pounds our only real weapon, A&M is pretty easy to defend. We got a nice preview of what life might be like in the midfield without Harvey when she is gone in '18 unless we develop some more midfielders as we had absolutely no possession to speak of in the first half. It was ugly. Also, I've hesitated to mention this before, but it's now clear to me that something is going on with Harvey either mentally or off the field because she cannot control her temper this season and has had a few shouting matches with teammates and coaches on the sideline at times. That can't be good for team chemistry. She's obviously frustrated with having so many inexperienced players around her, but she needs to lead by example and battle through this tough stretch until she gets some help with returning players. And I actually thought the defense had their worst outing of the year with many blown assignments, continually getting beaten on the edges, and poor marking on set pieces. Rice did have a solid game and made a few great saves or it could have been much worse. Schmidt and Wright really struggled out there and even the usually reliable Piper was not in good form tonight.

I was worried about the road games this year because we have looked bad in every game so far away from home. And with a depleted roster it just magnifies the glaring weaknesses of the team. The good news is that even a good team like Florida has struggled mightily lately and had a terrible loss tonight at home to Auburn. It looks like South Carolina and Arkansas might be the best teams right now, but let's see how it plays out. A&M will get its shot against SC next week at home. But A&M needs to get better at the fundamentals of the game and complete more passes to feet instead of just kicking long every time we have the ball. That's not a winning strategy.
Perplexed Ag
Even Redd and Penalty have gone negative. Is that a sign that change might be needed?
redd38
AG
quote:
Even Redd and Penalty have gone negative. Is that a sign that change might be needed?
And what change would that be?
Penaltykick
quote:
quote:
And what change would that be?

This.

The team is without numerous players due to injury and another via redshirt. What is left is what there is to work with. The biggest change I hope for on Sunday at Alabama (other than a win, of course) is a much better effort and work rate.
mullokmotx
AG
Through 9 games, now 10, we have scored 15 goals. The previous low was 18 goals in 9 games in 2013 and 2009.
That was the 8th time we have been shut out in regulation in SEC play. We won 2 of those 8 games in OT.
I think Mikaela has kept her control pretty good so far. That was her first yellow and players defending her have drawn about 6. Last night she saw Callyn taken down and then she was taken down herself.
Is the answer here just to connect more passes? Seems that would lead to more possessions in the offensive third which lead to more opportunities.
sharpdressedman
Injuries and inexperience are a fateful combination and the negative result could be foreseen. However, the lack of effort was very surprising and equally disappointing.

The comment regarding Harvey's confrontations with coaches and teammates is also troubling. I wonder if her absence during the first half was a disciplinary action.

There is much to be concerned about.
redd38
AG
quote:
I wonder if her absence during the first half was a disciplinary action.

My thinking as well, nothing else really makes sense.
Expert Analysis
AG
The first half of the game we were playing at about half strength and it clearly showed.
Our midfield is just not good at connecting passes and moving the ball forward. Our back line has played pretty sound D, but they are probably the worst group we have had from an offensive standpoint in a long while. Neither of the outside backs is a reliable passer. Pretty much everyone on the back line is left booming the ball over the top which works sometimes but is not consistent and is even less likely to work once we get behind. Our forwards have generally done an ok job, but they have not had a lot of help. When we boom it over the top they are left hoping the other team screws up or fouls them because they are typically outnumbered and the midfield is slow to support. G has messed with the formation some by playing 3 backs to help in the midfield, but we just don't have any dynamic players outside of Harvey at that position.
Even if Steph were healthy she is more of a holding mid than play maker or scorer. Same with Hajdu and Piper. Thats where losing bates hurts because she is a dynamic player much like pounds. Arrieta may become this one day but she is in a freshman funk right now after looking pretty impressive early in the season.

I would like to know what the deal with Crabtree is. Seems she should be getting more minutes and helping us on the attack. I'd look to play her and Hill more up top and move pounds back to the attacking mid with harvey. We are just getting dominated in the midfield and need to do something. Having Pounds up top and booming it to her is an option but it isn't pretty to watch, the success rate is low, and it doesn't develop anything to better the team in the future.
mullokmotx
AG
Mikaela left the Riverside game with 7 minutes left and I thought she was favoring a leg. Dave Ellis said on the pregame that she had a hip injury, which I don't doubt seeing how many times she has been hammered this year.
Penaltykick
This is why I thought Harvey was not playing in the first half. She was hurt near the end of the Riverside game. When she came into the game last night, her leg had a big wrap on it. I didn't think it was wrapped during warm ups, so I guessed she aggravated it in warm ups and that's why she didn't start. Hadn't thought about a disciplinary aspect.
redd38
AG
I suppose it could be an injury, but I figured if it was a last minute injury that she'd be out the whole game. If it's something that just needed to be wrapped at halftime couldn't they work on it right as the game started and get her back out to the field in a few minutes? In the end it doesn't really matter, all just speculation.
HiddenAg2
quote:
This is why I thought Harvey was not playing in the first half. She was hurt near the end of the Riverside game. When she came into the game last night, her leg had a big wrap on it. I didn't think it was wrapped during warm ups, so I guessed she aggravated it in warm ups and that's why she didn't start. Hadn't thought about a disciplinary aspect.
It may be true that she is nursing an injury, but she seemed close to full speed in the 2nd half when she played, so I'm still thinking she was kept on the sideline in the 1st half due to discipline.
HiddenAg2
quote:
The first half of the game we were playing at about half strength and it clearly showed.
Our midfield is just not good at connecting passes and moving the ball forward. Our back line has played pretty sound D, but they are probably the worst group we have had from an offensive standpoint in a long while. Neither of the outside backs is a reliable passer. Pretty much everyone on the back line is left booming the ball over the top which works sometimes but is not consistent and is even less likely to work once we get behind. Our forwards have generally done an ok job, but they have not had a lot of help. When we boom it over the top they are left hoping the other team screws up or fouls them because they are typically outnumbered and the midfield is slow to support. G has messed with the formation some by playing 3 backs to help in the midfield, but we just don't have any dynamic players outside of Harvey at that position.
Even if Steph were healthy she is more of a holding mid than play maker or scorer. Same with Hajdu and Piper. Thats where losing bates hurts because she is a dynamic player much like pounds. Arrieta may become this one day but she is in a freshman funk right now after looking pretty impressive early in the season.

I would like to know what the deal with Crabtree is. Seems she should be getting more minutes and helping us on the attack. I'd look to play her and Hill more up top and move pounds back to the attacking mid with harvey. We are just getting dominated in the midfield and need to do something. Having Pounds up top and booming it to her is an option but it isn't pretty to watch, the success rate is low, and it doesn't develop anything to better the team in the future.
Excellent analysis. I agree that it's time to do something radical to help the midfield. Moving Pounds back and making Crabtree the lone forward might be a good idea. Maybe try a 3-1-5-1 type formation with the outside mids (Pounds being one of them) helping out the outside backs so they can complete shorter passes into the midfield instead of giving up and just kicking the long ball to no one in particular.

Next year A&M adds some more talent in the midfield in Addy McCain and getting Jenna Byers back from injury. Quinn Murphy will also be available, and I think possibly Rheagan Smith could play some midfield if needed. If everyone comes back healthy next year we will be very deep at all three levels.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
quote:
I wonder if her absence during the first half was a disciplinary action.

My thinking as well, nothing else really makes sense.
Loked like she had her hamstring wrapped. I wonder if they luthier in because we looked so bad in the first half
mullokmotx
AG
Aggie Soccer Twitter had a short video of the team training this morning. Only saw 18 players training and Mikaela had tight coverings on her thighs like what you see a lot of basketball players wearing. The SEC title is still there to win.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.