Cutting Boards/Gifts

19,909 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agrams
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you do any aTm engraved and/or maroon colored items?
DallasAggie2012
AG
Just recently received the muddlers I bought from Agrams, and they are absolutely beautiful. Incredible work and craftsmanship. There is nothing out there on the market like what he is making with these muddlers, and I would highly recommend them if you use a muddler at all, or even if you just want one to look cool in your kitchen. They are more than worth it!
coastalaggie
AG
Anything like the top of block you would find in an old butcher shop?
agrams
AG
matsui, shoot me an email. I have had several requests about doing that, but I've tried to avoid doing it unless there is enough interest for me to buy a local/crafters license from the university. The last thing I want is to get a letter from A&M for selling unlicensed items.

coastal, do you have a picture? I think I know what you are talking about, and I probably could, I would just have to confirm what you are looking for. You can post on here or shoot me an email.

my email is gramswoodworks at gee mail dot com.
coastalaggie
AG
Email sent
powerbiscuit
beautiful work

and what is a muddler?
TatteredShoeLace
AG
Common bar tool for crushing (muddling) herbs. Used for mojitos and such
beb06
AG
Got a custom-made 20x23x2 cutting board (mix of walnut, cherry, and maple) from agrams this weekend. It's awesome and puts my old cutting board to shame. I'll take some pictures this weekend (smoking a brisket) and post them.

I'd highly recommend the cutting boards!
FriscoKid
AG
Stryke_Too
Are you still making cutting boards? I just ran across the post from a while back and would be very interested in purchasing one and possibly one of your bowls.
Tried to send pm but it wouldn't go through for some reason.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I would contact him using the info he provided in his original post. It will probably be the best way to get a hold of him. His work is fantastic and comes highly recommended!

quote:
Feel free to contact me at aggieww05 at geemail dot com, or look me up on facebook under 'grams woodworks'.
Stryke_Too
Thanks DA12.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
agrams, could you do a cigar ash tray? If so how much would something like this cost?

Something like this

That is nice. How about one in the shape of Texas with the block aTm in the middle? I'd be down for that.
agrams
AG
just saw this thread get bumped again. I revised the original post with more up-to-date information, so check through that some.

Thanks all for the consideration and for the positive comments on those who have bought stuff from me. I love woodworking and enjoy it the most when I can make something that other people get joy and value from.

Junk, I could do a cigar tray in that shape. The block A&M logo is another issue due to trademarks/etc, but I have had people send me emblems/medallions/etc with A&M logo's and I have inset those into items. I can incorporate anything you want, I just can't make it A&M and offer it up for sell without having issues with the university.

Know Your Enemy
AG
I figured as much. I'm not a native Texan so I'd only want that shape with the A&M logo. But I'd definitely be interested in another one of your ashtrays. Those are beautiful.
sawedoff woodman
quote:
just saw this thread get bumped again. I revised the original post with more up-to-date information, so check through that some.

Thanks all for the consideration and for the positive comments on those who have bought stuff from me. I love woodworking and enjoy it the most when I can make something that other people get joy and value from.

Junk, I could do a cigar tray in that shape. The block A&M logo is another issue due to trademarks/etc, but I have had people send me emblems/medallions/etc with A&M logo's and I have inset those into items. I can incorporate anything you want, I just can't make it A&M and offer it up for sell without having issues with the university.

http://i.imgur.com/iJa3m5l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aLhmz2Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KqgySga.jpg

Your stuff looks great. Very nice job.
sawedoff woodman
OP, kuddos to you for being legal on the a&m trademark. It ticks me off when I see people selling on etsy or at markets with the a&m logo and I know they are doing it illegally.
schmendeler
AG
how do you folks maintain those wooden cutting boards? they look beautiful but I worry about bacterial infestation with meat juices.
sawedoff woodman
Please contact Texags Staff for advertising if you want to promote your commercial site. -- Texags Staff
sawedoff woodman
agrams does great work and it's not my intent to take any business from him. He has gotten a ton of great reviews from everyone on this thread.
tamu2009
AG
quote:
how do you folks maintain those wooden cutting boards? they look beautiful but I worry about bacterial infestation with meat juices.

They're actually safer than plastic in that regard. Studies have shown that the wood inhibits bacteria growth. I use mineral oil on me twice a year.
sawedoff woodman
quote:
quote:

They're actually safer than plastic in that regard. Studies have shown that the wood inhibits bacteria growth. I use mineral oil on me twice a year.

There is so much more information than I ever would have imagined before I started making and selling these boards. There is good wood to use for boards (maple) and really bad wood (oak or pine). Mineral oil is great, but it doesn't have the same staying power as an oil / wax cream does. The wax stays on the board a lot longer than oil alone.

Plastic vs wood... Bacteria loves to grow on and in plastic. Knife marks on plastic boards can't be effectively cleaned by hand washing with soap and water. But, you can put them in the dishwasher. Bacteria doesn't grow in wood very well and gets sucked into the wood pores where it quickly dies. Wood is not "anti-bacterial" as some have claimed, but bacteria dies in wood rather quickly making it very safe to use.

End grain vs edge grain is a whole other topic. The end grain boards that agrams sells are easier on your knives...
1986_Aggie
AG
I just ordered a cutting board, can't wait to get it.
JB
AG
Wanted to bump this. I ordered and received a beautiful cutting board from Agrams last month. Quality is exceptional. Getting much use. Thanks!
Reload8098
AG
I bought two for home and have given out 8 as gifts. My wife puts 7-8 mineral oil coats on them, letting the oil soak in and then she coats them with organic beeswax. Darkens the wood and they are easier to clean. She loves hers and my friends and customers do as well. Getting ready to order a few more.
agrams
AG
Thanks for the compliments to those who have purchased any. I've been dang busy lately trying to get a lot of bowls finished for the holidays also.

I have started putting an angled edge on the boards, as I find it looks a little sharper than the roundover. I have also been using some more pecan in boards. It is a nice hard wood with good heartwood/sapwood color variation with a good grain structure for boards. This one is pure pecan, but has a nice variety of color.

For those interested in any, you can see most of what I have in stock on My etsy page but please don't order through there, just email me at gramswoodworks at gmail.com and I can knock the prices down a little for Ag's.
redass1876
AG
Could you arrange 2 colors of blocks to make the block ATM?
evan_aggie
AG
Google cutting board comparisons and bacteria growth. For everyone 1 article you find that talks about plastic/composites allowing bacteria growth, you'll find 10 that say wood is worse.

From the 10-15 minutes of reading I've done, it seems like most people endorse wood for everything except raw meat.

agrams
AG
evan, that is my stance to. For trimming raw meat I have a large plastic board I use that gets hit with a heavier cleaning after use. I actually have 3 wood boards in my kitchen, two full size ones, one each for cooked meat and one for vegetables (wife is a vegetarian, and i like to kill and eat anything I can, go figure) and then I have a smaller one (8x11) that I use for quick stuff like apples/fruits/etc, which actually gets used more than any of the 3.

Redass, I could, but there are two challenges. 1) It takes a lot of work to make any type of pattern (unless I am going to do a LOT of boards of that particular pattern. And at lower volumes, it becomes cost prohibitive and 2) I would need to gets a crafters license to do that and not get a nastygram from the university. If there was enough interest in them, I could probably make a batch of 20-25 and sell them. This keeps me under the limit on the crafter's license. More than the 20-25, I would need to apply for a more expensive license from the university.
sawedoff woodman

XpressAg09
AG
agrams, I emailed you a couple days ago. Did I send it to the right email address?

Subject did include the phrase "I'm Interested In Your Wood." NOT SPAM, and totally safe for work.
agrams
AG
xpress, I don't see anything in my inbox or spam folder. Try gramswoodworks at gmail.com again and I will check it.
agrams
AG
Tagguy
schmendeler
AG
does he really not get it?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.