Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ex-Texas A&M Head Coach Arrested for DUI, Accused of Smelling Like Booze

20,651 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sparkie
Sponge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As the cops mentioned, he was parked outside the lines and not pulled in all the way. So he was drunk when he pulled in. I appreciate his past. However, he was ****ed up and it is disgusting how lightly he is treated because of who he is. He could have killed someone.
OrygunAg
AG
He's a functioning alcoholic I don't think this'll be the end of it for him.
northeastag
AG
Lot of discussion here about Sumlin being an alcoholic. Sounds like his drinking was common knowledge, but I didn't know it. There are a lot of people that are not alcoholics that are taken by surprise when they drink too much with how impaired they become. I guess, though, that wasn't the case here.

He can still turn his life around. Just look at Sark. Get clean and sober for a while and someone will give him an opportunity.
Divining Rod
Phoenix- did you even bother to READ. the comments before posting your holier than thou sermon? i doubt it.

If you care to go back and take the 45 seconds to actually read the posts above yours, you'll see they were generally caring and in goid taste. I myself was surprised at that and pleased.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
northeastag said:

Lot of discussion here about Sumlin being an alcoholic. Sounds like his drinking was common knowledge, but I didn't know it. There are a lot of people that are not alcoholics that are taken by surprise when they drink too much with how impaired they become. I guess, though, that wasn't the case here.

He can still turn his life around. Just look at Sark. Get clean and sober for a while and someone will give him an opportunity.

Good that Sark cleaned up.

He's still an @$$#*/&, however.
Aston04
AG
Sponge said:

As the cops mentioned, he was parked outside the lines and not pulled in all the way. So he was drunk when he pulled in. I appreciate his past. However, he was ****ed up and it is disgusting how lightly he is treated because of who he is. He could have killed someone.
Oh bc you park bad, you must be drunk? Got it.

My only point was it wasn't an open and shut case...and that's reflected by it being pleaded down (and bc he has high priced lawyers, no doubt)...
Booma94
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

I'm no lawyer, but any lawyer I've ever known advises not to do roadside gymnastics.
My guess is that he did them thinking that he was going to get a warning since the cop recognized him. He figured play along, don't be a d**k, and it'll all be fine.
ccolley68
AG
Aston04 said:

Sponge said:

Oh bc you park bad, you must be drunk? Got it.

My only point was it wasn't an open and shut case...and that's reflected by it being pleaded down (and bc he has high priced lawyers, no doubt)...

No, the parking bad, along with a call from the clerk concerned about him, along with the smell of alcohol were the indicators the officer had. It being pled down is quite normal, especially if that is his first run in with the law in regards to his drinking. I know his drinking has been talked about on here going back to his time at A&M, but don't know if he's ever had any prior legal issues associated with his drinking. If not, totally normal to plea it down. I'm sure his high priced lawyers helped as well. I know people who had much stronger cases against them, and much cheaper lawyers than he has, getbfirst offense DUI's pled down to lesser charges like reckless driving or excessive acceleration. You still get arrested, vehicle impounded, spend the night in jail, all the embarrassment that comes with that, booking shows suspicion of DUI, etc, but what ultimately goes on your record is a lesser charge. Very standard for a first time offense of someone in otherwise good standing with the law. Don't think Sumlin got any preferential treatment because of who he is in this case.

It is open and shut though with regard to him being in control of the vehicle. If you are in the drivers seat of a vehicle that is on, even in park, you can get a DUI, as evidenced in this case. That's why they say if you are going to go sleep it off in your car, if you turn it on, at least sleep in the passenger seat or back seat. It's no guarantee, but gives you at least the chance they may let you call a friend or spouse to come get you, or spend the night in jail with a PI charge in lieu of a DUI charge.
ccolley68
AG
Booma94 said:

Heisenberg01 said:

I'm no lawyer, but any lawyer I've ever known advises not to do roadside gymnastics.
My guess is that he did them thinking that he was going to get a warning since the cop recognized him. He figured play along, don't be a d**k, and it'll all be fine.

Agreed. I don't think his eyes lit up when the cop recognized him of him reliving his past glory days like a prior poster said. I think his eyes lit up because he was hopeful the cop recognizing him might give him the slightest chance of getting off. He wasn't borderline though, he appeared to be quite drunk.
Krautag81
Poor guy, really feel bad for him.
alamogeorge
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

My lawyer advised me not to drink and drive.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
BenFiasco14
AG
infinity ag said:

It was really sad when Sumlin's eyes lit up when the cop recognized him as A&M's coach.

Quote:

Kevin Sumlin....? The ol' ball coach from A&M?

It's like a penniless person suddenly reliving the days when he was wealthy.

He can still turn his life around by just focusing on his work and staying away from booze.

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
infinity ag
A good family structure is very important. He was married when he was at A&M. I think something went wrong there though I don't find anything online about it. He may be single now which can get depressing and lonely. Especially when one gets older.
SuperAg09
AG
The question I have is, why the heck was he in Tampa, FL during the middle of the week during the season? He wasn't even in a good part of town. Seems pretty sketch to me...
VP at Pierce and Pierce
It is my understanding that he got sober after his dismissal from Arizona. Clearly he fell off the wagon. I hope he can get back on the wagon and it sticks this time. Say what you want about his tenure and the money he made, he got fried from his dream job, rough divorce, fired again all in about 30 months while battling serious addiction issues. Hopefully he has the support system in place to remain sober.
houstonbuilder
AG
SuperAg09 said:

The question I have is, why the heck was he in Tampa, FL during the middle of the week during the season? He wasn't even in a good part of town. Seems pretty sketch to me...
I remember a little bit about this from when it happened and I believe that Maryland had a bye week, at the time.
Aston04
AG
What a perfect storm that we likely had an addict coach at the same time we had JF.
ktownag08
AG
The video shows a respectful interaction with the police. It's fair to argue some circumstances of his arrest and condition, but that's ultimately what court is for given stated probable cause.

Sumlin handled himself well during the interaction although it's unfortunate he found himself in it to begin with.

Hopefully it serves as a wake up call, and he's able to get sober if he truly does have a problem.

The man didn't take us to where we all wanted here, but I wish him the best in life.

NoahAg
My bullet points:

1. Don't care. Beat Bama.
2. The main officer was very professional and did a great job of keeping the interaction chill.
3. Second officer looks like John Crist. Why were there 2 or 3 other cop cars? Seems overkill at that point.
4. I don't get why so many Ags hate on Sumlin. Dude brought some of the best years A&M has ever had. Maybe y'all will give him the Billy Gillispie treatment in a few more years.
Craigy
Maybe because he came off as arrogant and he didn't have control of his wife
WC94
AG
Are you even married Craigy?
NewEra2023
AG
NoahAg said:

My bullet points:

If that's all you care about you have seriously low standards. I bet you'll be happy to have a losing season as long as we beat Texas.
Aggie87
AG
NoahAg said:

My bullet points:

4. I don't get why so many Ags hate on Sumlin. Dude brought some of the best years A&M has ever had. Maybe y'all will give him the Billy Gillispie treatment in a few more years.

I'd counter that he actually underachieved, given the talent he had to work with. He screwed up the QB time after time, after Manziel. He didn't actually coach Manziel either for that matter, basically just let KK (and then Spavital) allow Johnny to freelance. That's sort of a credit to someone, I suppose, but it's not indicative of building or developing talent or even really in-game coaching. I'm not really sure how much credit Sumlin really deserves.

He's simply not in the same category of coach as BCG.
NoahAg
NewEra2023 said:

NoahAg said:

My bullet points:

If that's all you care about you have seriously low standards. I bet you'll be happy to have a losing season as long as we beat Texas.
Username checks out. I'm guessing you're not old enough to get the reference. Or the 2012 game.
Seamaster
AG
It makes me sad for him.
Stone44
AG
He was always a very likable person. He ran a very loose ship, and was not a very strong disciplinarian. he coached at a great time, and his teams were fun to watch. I wish him the best.
Phoenix1
BQ_90 said:

he got millions of support from us. He could have used that to hire an uber. And he was an employee

Following your "he was an employee" logic, RC isn't an Aggie either.
BQ_90
AG
Phoenix1 said:

BQ_90 said:

he got millions of support from us. He could have used that to hire an uber. And he was an employee

So by your logic Fran is an Aggie

And I,guess you where fine with your Aggie hero making false racist claims against A&M
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

And I,guess you where fine with your Aggie hero making false racist claims against A&M
I'd like to see a citation for that claim that is not from this board.
infinity ag
Phoenix1 said:

BQ_90 said:

Right.
An Aggie is one who has a Texas A&M degree. I am not sure about those who drop out after taking classes at A&M.

Fran, Sumlin, Slocum are NOT Aggies. Neither are Bowtie or Bjork. They are/were employees of Texas A&M.

I am an Aggie as I have an A&M degree. I will always be an Aggie and will die one.
Sumlin, Fran etc have no permanent Aggie connections.

It is really that simple.

Edit: Bowtie IS an Aggie. He got his degree from A&M. I struck out his name above.
ccolley68
AG
infinity ag said:

Phoenix1 said:

BQ_90 said:

Right.
An Aggie is one who has a Texas A&M degree. I am not sure about those who drop out after taking classes at A&M.

Fran, Sumlin, Slocum are NOT Aggies. Neither are Bowtie or Bjork. They are/were employees of Texas A&M.

I am an Aggie as I have an A&M degree. I will always be an Aggie and will die one.

Didn't Bow tie graduate from A&M? Or am I misremembering? A graduate degree or something along the line?

Edit: just looked it up, he got his Bachelors from A&M. He's an Aggie in my book.
fightinag
NEVER EVER EVER consent to a field sobriety test !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
jonb02
AG
Hard to feel sorry for a multi millionaire making bad decisions.
WC94
AG
Appelt Furtrapper & Walton Loads. Gotta live on campus to be a Redass Ag. I consider RC an Ag, Fran and Jimbo are a negative.
infinity ag
ccolley68 said:

infinity ag said:

Phoenix1 said:

BQ_90 said:

Right.

Didn't Bow tie graduate from A&M? Or am I misremembering? A graduate degree or something along the line?

Edit: just looked it up, he got his Bachelors from A&M. He's an Aggie in my book.

If Bowtie got his degree from A&M, then yes, he is an Aggie.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.