Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kenny Hill

17,496 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ags06Win
SociallyConditionedAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be rooting for Kyle and Kenny. Can't say that for Kyler.
mcag83
AG
quote:
I'll be rooting for Kyle and Kenny. Can't say that for Kyler.

Agree
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thanks. Don't tell anyone.

Ag4coal
I think he tears it up this year (as he was here) if the coaches keep him on the straight and narrow. The reason he failed here is because the team gave up on him, although he definitely earned it. If he does what he needs to off the field, he hs plenty of talent to tear up that craptastic conference
ClassOf17
quote:
If Allen and Hill go on to be successful it just makes Sumlin look terrible.

Or it makes the big 12 look really easy.. You know since both sucked against SEC defenses...
TXAggie2011
AG
It's not that Sumlin had a quarterback transfer, it's that he's had multiple transfer, including guys who looked to have a real chance of starting games, in a short period of time.

If the transfers don't play well, then that's one thing, but if these guys go on to be productive, then yeah, I don't think that looks very good.

Although even he doesn't play well, you have to wonder why we apparently suck at evaluating quarterback recruits.

I hope Trevor Knight is the answer, we win games, and it'll be less of a concern.

At some point, though, Sumlin has to be able to recruit high school guys and have them stick around. We most likely won't have long term program success always relying on transfers at the QB position.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Or it makes the big 12 look really easy.. You know since both sucked against SEC defenses...

Well, that sure doesn't bode well for us and our Big 12 transfer Trevor Knight, does it?
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Named starting QB at TCU.
I'll drink to that.
Deputy Travis Junior
Seriously though, good for him. We all do dumbass stuff or maintain bad habits. It takes a big person to recognize that, get the bad habits under control, and turn things around. Sounds like he's done that, and I wish him the best in the future.
who?mikejones
AG
Best of luck to him. Always good to see a person pick themselves up from the bottom.

There was a common theme between the transfers...spav.
Dobre casy
AG
quote:
We most likely won't have long term program success always relying on transfers at the QB position.

Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to? Tell me more about this program success we've been relying on with transfer QBs. Then tell me what kind of long-term success we can have with any QBs, considering they're on campus for 2-3 years.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
We most likely won't have long term program success always relying on transfers at the QB position.

Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to? Tell me more about this program success we've been relying on with transfer QBs. Then tell me what kind of long-term success we can have with any QBs, considering they're on campus for 2-3 years.

I'm afraid the newsletter would go over your head, as well.
Agsgirl
quote:
quote:
You mean if senior QB's looks better than underclassmen QB's, the coach is terrible?

You mean the same Kenny Hill who has barely played a snap since he transferred. Yes if you have talented QBs and can't keep and develop them you are doing something very wrong. Even Mike and Mike took a crack at A&M this morning how every transfer QB seems to be from A&M.
I wish KH well, but he and KA (I will not mention the "little" prima donna that skipped across the red river) had huge shoes to fill in Johnny's shadow. Mechanics are one thing, but struggling with mental toughness in pressure moments on AND off the field can make or break a qb. To their credit, In their formative years all they had was Spav that taught them nothing and didn't do much to develop them.
Dobre casy
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm afraid the newsletter would go over your head, as well.

You're afraid of a lot of things it seems.
ClassOf17
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, that sure doesn't bode well for us and our Big 12 transfer Trevor Knight, does it?

It doesn't matter to me. I just don't see how it was sumlins fault (as stated in the post I replied to)
Post removed:
by user
RDV-1992
Of the 3 that we lost, I think Kenny was the best. I think he is going to crush it at TCU.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Of the 3 that we lost, I think Kenny was the best. I think he is going to crush it at TCU.

Agree.
Dobre casy
AG
Kenny had a hard time living in JFF's shadow. Which would be hard for any young QB. Allen and Murray didn't have the maturity to handle a QB battle, plus had Spav as their mentor. Sure, Sumlin deserves some of the blame, but it's not as dramatic as y'all are making it out to be.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
You guys really don't think the head coach is somewhat at fault when 3 highly recruited QBs transfer in a span of 2 years. If it is proven that those QBs are really successful and it says a lot. Trevor Knight transferring as a graduate senior in totally different than 2 fish and a sophomore transferring. Knight lost his job and would never have started at OU again.
one was a drunk here, one was a ***** who didn't want to compete, one was a scrawny primma donna who thought he was way better than he actually was. So, no.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
You guys really don't think the head coach is somewhat at fault when 3 highly recruited QBs transfer in a span of 2 years. If it is proven that those QBs are really successful and it says a lot. Trevor Knight transferring as a graduate senior in totally different than 2 fish and a sophomore transferring. Knight lost his job and would never have started at OU again.
one was a drunk here, one was a ***** who didn't want to compete, one was a scrawny primma donna who thought he was way better than he actually was. So, no.

It's not mutually exclusive though. This is all true, and Sumlin fostered an environment that was not conducive to helping those quarterbacks. We know that with all the pathetic coaching drama that has taken place as well. Sumlin definitely deserves blame for how poorly he handled multiple situations.
Dobre casy
AG
quote:
It's not mutually exclusive though. This is all true, and Sumlin fostered an environment that was not conducive to helping those quarterbacks. We know that with all the pathetic coaching drama that has taken place as well. Sumlin definitely deserves blame for how poorly he handled multiple situations.

True. I guess there are 2 camps...those who think Sumlin will repeat the same mistakes over and over. And those that think Sumlin has learned from his past mistakes and can adjust.

I'm in the 2nd camp. His hiring of Chavis showed me that he wanted to win. The Mazzone hire will tell the other half. But I think he learned some things with the way he's handled the QBs, and how to handle the success that comes with a Heisman QB. Time will tell.
AgEngr12
AG
#*****OurForTrillambe

JimbloFisher
AG
One of the most interesting non-A&M players to watch in my opinion
easy94
AG
Former student. Hope he is successful whatever he does.
easy94
AG
Is that a ferret?
bluecouchstudios
AG
quote:
Kenny had a hard time living in JFF's shadow. Which would be hard for any young QB.
Kenny's problem was not living in JFF's shadow but attempting to follow in his footsteps. Unfortunately, he got burned up by the Fireball.

jim 78
AG
quote:
I always thought Hill was better than Allen. We get to see who excels now...well next year?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Brandon Williams is a potential NFL starter in his rookie year - that Bob Stoops sure looks like a dumbass.

Amirite, guys?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Definitely agree with this, but think it is worth really considering how many programs have to deal with a situation like JFF where a true fish comes in, dominates, essentially clears out your upperclass roster at the position, then leaves the next year.

Sumlin definitely allowed a culture where Hill thought he could behave the way he did, but he also benched him in favor of Allen which at least seems to be an effort to tighten the reigns.

Hill is both the one that was most due to Sumlin's "culture", but also the one that most deserved to be sat.

The whole Allen/Murray drama were so wheels off that I don't see how anyone can let any of Sumlin, Allen or Murray off the hook for being partially responsible. I think Allen didn't like that Sumlin made him wait so long behind Hill while he (Hill) imploded, only to turn around the next year and let the new guy challenge from day 1. I think Murray felt he should have been handed the job and acted like a prima donna when he wasn't.

I think in both cases the relationships had soured to the point where they had to move on.

No doubt Sumlin has a major part in all of that - he is the HC after all, but I don't really get the idea that any of these guys were sent packing, and certainly don't think that any of these guys stayed at A&M long enough to where you can legitimately compare their careers here with where they end up.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with everything you said. Well put.

Fwiw I have no actual hate for any of the 3 qb's. They all had flaws, they were all here for limited times, and all suffered from a disfunctional environment where the HC apparently did not demand accountability, or was not honest and straight forward enough that any of those kids deserved. All 3 contributed to their issues, and Sumlin was irresponsible or negligent in dealing with them.

Since the only common denominator still here is Sumlin, I hope like hell he has either learned from his mistakes, or put more responsible people in positions to handle that **** for him.
trm94
AG
KA will never play a down for Herman, so his future is uncertain. Kenny will have a good year in that craptastic conference.
Agro1999
You don't know anything about this situation. You cite transfers that would have happenned anyways due to the players own action, but you try to string together some pattern to fit your anti Sumlin agenda. Shut up, it's old. I don't think McNeal, Keenum, Bradford, brees, manziel, or any other qb he ever coached thought he had a "problem" handling them. He had two *****es and one drunk. **** off
scapps
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
You mean if senior QB's looks better than underclassmen QB's, the coach is terrible?

You mean the same Kenny Hill who has barely played a snap since he transferred. Yes if you have talented QBs and can't keep and develop them you are doing something very wrong. Even Mike and Mike took a crack at A&M this morning how every transfer QB seems to be from A&M.

Oh you are right. So by that logic, if Trevor Knight plays well this year, Bob Stoops must be a ****ty coach. Jimbo Fisher must be a ****ty coach, because Coker went to Bama and won a Championship! Urban Meyer must also suck, since Cam Newton ended up at Auburn.

People transfer for a myriad of reasons. And guess what, most of them are better QB's their senior years than their freshman. Blaming the coach for a freshman QB playing like a freshman Qb is idiotic. But please, continue on with you agenda.
I want to buy you a beer if you're in College Station Labor Day weekend.
Mort Rainey
quote:
Even Mike and Mike took a crack at A&M this morning how every transfer QB seems to be from A&M.
Is this a joke? Who the hell even listens to that garbage?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.