Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

LSU

23,572 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ag2003
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they don't have a school, do we finally get a win against them in football?

Gov Edwards: LSU main campus in Baton Rouge could run out of money after April 30th #louisianagov

NavyAg92
AG
Meh, they'll just take over SE Louisiana Univ. and their football program. Their mascot is the Lion, so it's close enough. Expect flyers for corn dog fundraisers on campus by no later than next Monday.
AGinHI
AG
quote:

No.
phatbeast
AG
University may close. Football program will keep going.
PhatMack19
AG
Should help us compete in sports with lesser scholarships like baseball

#BREAKING TOPS payments suspended in Louisiana as state faces major budget crisis. @WBRZ
Pepe SiIvia
AG
How does a university just run out of money?
PhatMack19
AG
quote:
How does a university just run out of money?

Half of the university is on TOPS and the state is broke. Tops hasn't paid tuition yet for the Spring semester and the students are left hanging.
Frank Grimes
AG
They just detected gravity waves from two billion year old black holes colliding.
FtBendTxAg
AG
tons of people dont even have to pay tuition.

la is poor and dumb

lots of reasons.
pudge
quote:
tons of people dont even have to pay tuition.

la is poor and dumb

lots of reasons.

Since we both live in Ft Bend county, I would love to visit with you and discuss this comment.
pudge
quote:

Gov Edwards: LSU main campus in Baton Rouge could run out of money after April 30th #louisianagov

It's all a scare tactic by a new governor who is pissed that he inherited a mess from the former Indian governor. Special session starts in a couple of days and he's trying to scare the Legislature and citizens into reversing the past 8 years of Piyush Jindal who was born of parents in grad school at LSU, is definitely no friend of LSU.

It will all work out.
pudge
quote:

It's all a scare tactic by a new governor who is pissed that he inherited a mess from the former Indian governor. Special session starts in a couple of days and he's trying to scare the Legislature and citizens into reversing the past 8 years of Piyush Jindal who was born of parents in grad school at LSU, is definitely no friend of LSU.

It will all work out. We just got lucky that Perry didn't do the same to us here since both of them had only one goal-- run for President and screw the regular people.
Rusty GCS
AG
John Bel Edwards sucks
pudge
quote:
John Bel Edwards sucks

Yep and wonder why he didn't call out Southern, Grambling, SUNO, UNO? Also he needs to cut money for all of the directional schools athletic programs. State paid for expansion of USL stadium that they couldn't fill before except to watch SU band march
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
John Bel Edwards sucks
I thought he has only been governor for a month??
Rusty GCS
AG
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2016/02/11/text-john-bel-edwards-address/80261490/

He gave speech tonight. Said no football next year if something isn't done now.

Let it burn! Even though I'm not that lucky.
Agit8r
AG
MAN!!!...they must be paying those recruits more than we thought!!!
LSU Baseball Fan
Honestly, LSU needs to be far more selective in admissions, but we won't because $$$ talks. LSU doesn't have enough resources to handle 30K students. We just don't.

The amount of 4-year schools in LA is way over the number needed to serve the needs of the population. Probably half of the kids at LSU would do just as well or better at some of the other 4-year schools, which are suffering from under-enrollment, while LSU is suffering from over-enrollment. When like half of your student body or more is using state money to go to college, you're in deep s**t. When your state is broke like LA, you're f***ed.

Even if Edwards is bluffing to try and gain political support, which, being a dirty politician, he probably is, eventually the TOPS program will have to be shut down completely, and most of the LSU student body will have to drop or enter massive loan debt.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
quote:
John Bel Edwards sucks
I thought he has only been governor for a month??
He still sucks, though.

Shows how bad Louisiana politics is when our gubernatorial candidates were an adulterer and a lying snake that took literally 2 days to break several campaign promises. Full disclosure: I refused to vote because both appalled me.

Yay.

Hope Drew Brees runs for governor one day. He'd be unanimously elected and could probably do a better job than any of the clowns we've had in my lifetime.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Honestly, LSU needs to be far more selective in admissions, but we won't because $$$ talks. LSU doesn't have enough resources to handle 30K students. We just don't.

The amount of 4-year schools in LA is way over the number needed to serve the needs of the population. Probably half of the kids at LSU would do just as well or better at some of the other 4-year schools, which are suffering from under-enrollment, while LSU is suffering from over-enrollment. When like half of your student body or more is using state money to go to college, you're in deep s**t. When your state is broke like LA, you're f***ed.

Even if Edwards is bluffing to try and gain political support, which, being a dirty politician, he probably is, eventually the TOPS program will have to be shut down completely, and most of the LSU student body will have to drop or enter massive loan debt.
Sounds like a tailor made situation for a Bernie Sanders campaign pitch. He wants free college for everyone, after all.

But seriously, I thought state monies didn't comprise the majority of the LSU budgeted revenue, but now the state paid tuition fees will cause it to close??
Rusty GCS
AG
LSU athletics don't use state money.

And LSU has always had 30,000. Back in the late 70s they had 30,000. Always fluctuated between 27,000-33,000 to my understanding.
LSU Baseball Fan
LSU is in the weird situation of being held back by the broke state, but simultaneously being supported by very rich donations from wealthy alumni (oil magnates, Penningtons, Longs, Manships, etc). My alma mater, the Honors College, received a hefty $12 million donation just last year. Many other departments are also supported by hefty grants and donations.

I don't think LSU will ever close, but I can definitely see us becoming a much smaller university if TOPS continues to get slashed to bits. It's just a sad situation for LA kids to have to deal with. Tuition is rising and scholarships are dwindling.
Traveler
AG
quote:

.... he inherited a mess from the former Indian governor. ....past 8 years of Piyush Jindal who was born of parents in grad school at LSU

What is the point of the Indian references?
I'm not Indian but this seems unnecessary.

Also, way to conveniently avoid admitting that this was a Republican governor.

I would have voted for the dude, but this is not a good look.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

And LSU has always had 30,000. Back in the late 70s they had 30,000. Always fluctuated between 27,000-33,000 to my understanding.
The problem is the money for the athletic scholarships. And not all sports offer full rides, do they?

The threat here is the players will be ineligible academically if their scholarship money isn't paid. Are all football players' full tuition paid solely by the athletic department? Or are some of them using TOPS money??
jon gruden is intelligent
They've said similar things before.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
Meh, they'll just take over SE Louisiana Univ. and their football program. Their mascot is the Lion, so it's close enough. Expect flyers for corn dog fundraisers on campus by no later than next Monday.
Funny enough, Southeastern probably has a better team than the bottom half of the SEC East. They make pretty consistent runs in the FCS playoffs.

I would throw McNeese and ULL in there, too. All 3 are solid in football, and get a lot of the LA talent that isn't good enough to go to LSU.
DifferenceMaker Ag
quote:
LSU is in the weird situation of being held back by the broke state, but simultaneously being supported by very rich donations from wealthy alumni (oil magnates, Penningtons, Longs, Manships, etc). My alma mater, the Honors College, received a hefty $12 million donation just last year. Many other departments are also supported by hefty grants and donations.

I don't think LSU will ever close, but I can definitely see us becoming a much smaller university if TOPS continues to get slashed to bits. It's just a sad situation for LA kids to have to deal with. Tuition is rising and scholarships are dwindling.
Then f'ing grow a pair and get your sh*t together.

You're welcome
Lungblood
Or get a job, or maybe a scholarship, or 2 jobs.
redjalapeno-87
To support my SEC brethren, bayou bengals, I purchased a 30-pack of corn dogs, and 2 six packs of Abita.
Geaux swamp kitties!
Rusty GCS
AG
Scholarship athletes are not allowed to also have TOPS
Maroon Flash
AG
Foster Campbell and John Bel Edwards may be preparing to push through the oil and gas processing fee they have wanted for years. Think in terms of Obama and Biden level of stupid.

Without TOPS, may be a lot of students dropping out of LSU.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
quote:

The problem is the money for the athletic scholarships. And not all sports offer full rides, do they?

The threat here is the players will be ineligible academically if their scholarship money isn't paid. Are all football players' full tuition paid solely by the athletic department? Or are some of them using TOPS money??
A good TOPS scholarship covers almost all the tuition cost for a LA student.

I don't think an athlete can have TOPS and an athletic scholarship, could be wrong though.
Red Skye
AG
Lol. Jindal was such an abject ****ing failure.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Scholarship athletes are not allowed to also have TOPS
Thanks. I was confused by the Governor implying that they did.

Just wasn't sure how much he was lying, lulz.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
quote:

Then f'ing grow a pair and get your sh*t together.

You're welcome
Wow. Such helpful advice.

I'll be sure to pass that along to the state legislature.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.