Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

New OC on the way [edit-speculation]

375,121 Views | 1657 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by KilleenAg
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which part?? That Spav won't be the play-caller next year?? Or his replacement will be of a known quality??
NavyAg92
AG
New OC coming from the West Coast. Seems about right. KDS likes throwing the rock around.
Agsgirl
Word is his contract is up this year and A&M is interested...

Noel Mazzone

Noel Mazzone (pronounced Muh-ZONE-ee) joined the Bruin staff in January of 2012 after working as the offensive coordinator at Arizona State in the 2010 and 2011 seasons. His impressive coaching resume includes time as an assistant coach in the NFL and as an offensive coordinator in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big Ten Conference, the SEC and the Pac-12
The big numbers kept coming for Mazzone's offense in year two at UCLA in 2013. The unit set school records for total offense (692 yards) and first downs (39) in the New Mexico State contest. A school record 26 players caught a pass during the season. Quarterback Brett Hundley ranked among the nation's top 25 for completion % (14th-668), passing game (18th-16.8), and total offense (23rd-293.8). Shaq Evans, a fourth-round pick of the New York Jets, finished his career ranked tied for 10th on the all-time school receptions list and tied for ninth on the single-season touchdown reception list. Hundley also produced the third-most rushing yards by a quarterback in school history. Junior Jordon James posted career-best rushing totals and three 100-yard games.
Mazzone's first season on the field with the Bruins turned into a record-setting campaign. Senior running back Johnathan Franklin established new school marks for career rushing yards (4,403 yards), career all-purpose yards (4,925), single-season rushing yards (1,734), single-season 100-yard rushing games (9), and single-season all-purpose yards (2,062). He was selected in the 2013 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers.

Source: http://www.nzonesystem.com/coaches
not1cuckaroo
If they are considering someone. Maybe we shouldn't interfere by blowing this up too much.
Amarillo Slim
AG
quote:
From my friends in low places.

-Sumlin isn't going any place. He is the key to A&M's future. No one at any level is talking about Sumlin being on the hot seat.

-Things are still moving forward with the new OC. Two obstacles are now out of the way. Just a few other things to work through. There is one (and only one) candidate at this point in time, and things are looking HUGE.

Reminder: we are playing in the best division of the best conference in the country. It's not like we have been shut-out 24-0 by an Iowa State team from a weak conference or something. But, the recognition is that to WIN the SEC West and move on to the SEC Championship game and the playoffs -- something HUGE has to happen.

Got to be Mangino based on this and not sure how I feel about that!
OrygunAg
AG
Probably already been said in one of the other 1000 posts, but a new oc will inherit a team full of explosive offense talent. I think o line can be coached and schemed to be serviceable and skill positions have no excuse really. This is in contrast with chavis who has had to do alot of coaching up and scheming (except de). Asu ming we get a solid hire I am excited to see how this plays out next year.
PatriotAg02
AG
So have we figured out who it is? I'm thinking the individual must be a larger guy.

Only one I can think of is Mangino. I don't think he'd be a good hire.

Any other ideas?
peace
S
Mangino equals cartoon character!!! Embarrassingly obese!!!
Glitch
AG
HueJ ackson?
drcrinum
I don't understand people bad mouthing Mangino over his appearance or his run in with the political correct crowd. I could care less about what a coach looks like; I find his accomplishments more important:

Mangino was an assistant to Leach at Oklahoma in 1999, and when Leach left for TT in 2000, Mangino became OC at Oklahoma. In 2000, Oklahoma went undefeated (13-0) and won the National Championship. Mangino then became head coach at Kansas in 2002, and in 2007 Kansas went 13-1 and won a BCS bowl game -- yes, lowly Kansas -- that year Mangino was selected as National Coach of the Year by multiple organizations.

Rather impressive credentials. Are you going to find a better candidate who knows the Air Raid System, has proven himself to be a winner, and is available to be an OC? And don't forget that Sumlin followed in Mangino's footsteps at Oklahoma.
BMX Bandit
Are you an obese?
John_Galt
People used to make fun of blacks the same way. Make those kinds of jokes now and people act like (mostly fake outrage) you raped a baby.

A lot of people are born with or develop medical conditions that make them overweight. Yet, people continue to make fun of them.

Mangino accomplished more at Kansas than any coach at Texas A&M in the last 75 years. If you don't believe that, please direct me to our BCS bowl trophy because Kansas has one.
CorpsAg11
AG
If its Mangino then Rojo is an a-hole for getting us all excited for that crappy hire
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
People used to make fun of blacks the same way. Make those kinds of jokes now and people act like (mostly fake outrage) you raped a baby.

A lot of people are born with or develop medical conditions that make them overweight. Yet, people continue to make fun of them.
that may be true for a minority but more than not, it's an unhealthy lifestyle (not eating right, not working out). and that is something the person can change (unlike race).

regardless, I personally don't care what a person looks like as long as they can lead an offense to do their job and score.
dcowboy808
AG
Mark Mangino lost quite a bit of weight prior to his ISU gig. Still obese, but maybe committed to getting healthier...Just my 2 cents
wood2007
Hey, if he can make us exciting and proficient on the field again, and doesn't keel over just as things are looking up, he's welcome here in my book.
CrottyKid
AG
Well, there is a reason we started making 12 lb hotdogs at Kyle.
wood2007
Does ISU have a board? Anyone know how they felt about losing Mangino? Why did he leave KU for ISU?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Does ISU have a board? Anyone know how they felt about losing Mangino? Why did he leave KU for ISU?
He was fired at Kansas. Players claimed he was abusive.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
I believe he was a victim of the pc crowd because he was berating athletes like a Bobby Knight style deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4711389
CrottyKid
AG
Here is a good one on Mangino. Whoa he was a little TOO mean. I'm not sure how we could hire him unless eh was a model citizen at ISU. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621
wood2007
quote:
quote:
I believe he was a victim of the pc crowd because he was berating athletes like a Bobby Knight style deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4711389

Awesome. Him on Offense and Chavis on D. That's a strong, in your face combination. Probably what this team needs to toughen up and be more physical.
wood2007
quote:
Here is a good one on Mangino. Whoa he was a little TOO mean. I'm not sure how we could hire him unless eh was a model citizen at ISU. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4669621
Ha, oh wow. Maybe he isn't a good fit. If players left the team because of him, I can only imagine what it would do to recruiting when they got wind of who he really is.
Ag pride
AG
Are we really discussing mansion as a possible hire?

Man, that would be one heck of a let down
John_Galt
quote:
quote:

that may be true for a minority but more than not, it's an unhealthy lifestyle (not eating right, not working out). and that is something the person can change (unlike race).

regardless, I personally don't care what a person looks like as long as they can lead an offense to do their job and score.
If you make fun of someone's weight, and they have a medical condition, it is exactly like race. And I never see people ask for someone's medical records because they start cracking jokes. So, what is your point?
CrottyKid
AG
It will probably be Mazzone because he is a happy go lucky Sumlin buddy.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
Yup.
Crouching Jackass
quote:
If its Mangino then Rojo is an a-hole for getting us all excited for that crappy hire
Rojo is a poser. Your fault if you buy anything he's selling.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
Yup.
Damn, that dude has bounced around a lot.
Goodest Poster
AG
As a donor, i support Mangino hire. We can pay him in Tijuana fries.
cevans_40
AG
Could be Mazzone and Rojo thought his buddy said Mangino.
Russ11
AG
Can we still speculate Spurrier? It is Fun!
Can you imagine the Tuesday Pressers?

quote:
And, it is going to be much better to be an Aggie football fan once the "dream team" has its final member. Sumlin, Chavis, and [Touchdown!]. What a team. Seriously, if Sumlin and the AD pull this off -- give them both a raise, add some more statues around Kyle Field when it is all over.
Steve Spurrier first year at South Carolina 2005.
Eric Hyman first year at South Carolina 2005.

Spurrier not a Hyman hire but they did work together for seven years...

Two friends Sumlin/Hyman recruiting HBC to join DC Chavis for what would have to be the most experienced OC/DC combo in the SEC

Let the young guys recruit and the older guys make the decisions.

Motel California
S
quote:
quote:
Rojo is a poser. Your fault if you buy anything he's selling.

When you say "Poser" I think you mean "Captain Obvious"

All he's done is say a new OC is coming and its a big time name. "Big time" name is a very broad statement. Easy to wiggle your way out once this place goes into meltdown mode with a handful buying into the new guy being "big-time"

Brewmaster
AG
quote:

Noel Mazzone

His nickname used to be "No Red Zone"

He's been fired plenty of times and twice in the SEC. Now I will admit, his UCLA offense is a good one and he's doing it with a freshman at QB.

Lincoln Riley would be my first choice.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
quote:

Noel Mazzone

His nickname used to be "No Red Zone"

He's been fired plenty of times and twice in the SEC. Now I will admit, his UCLA offense is a good one and he's doing it with a freshman at QB.

Lincoln Riley would be my first choice.

Well we all know those PAC 12 defenses are awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.