Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Trey Williams Redskins camp footage

14,234 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ex-liberalag12
tbirdspur2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:
He went undrafted. If he was the amazing and under utilized weapon some of you guys believe he was, somebody would have used at least a late round pick on him.
Yeah, talented players never go undrafted. Just ask Arian Foster, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Priest Holmes, Wes Welker, Antonio Gates...

It's still pretty rare, statistically speaking. Especially when you're coming from a major school in a major conference.

I'm not saying we utilized him correctly - I'm just saying some of you guys act like he was Reggie Bush while he was at USC and that wasn't really the case.
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
He went undrafted. If he was the amazing and under utilized weapon some of you guys believe he was, somebody would have used at least a late round pick on him.

Agree, I have to laugh every time I see someone post how "talented" or "under utilized" a certain player is, as if they know more than the coaching staff of a D1 program.
So you're saying a coaching staff/OC that gave him 4 carries against LSU when he was the only back gaining big chunks of yards didn't under utilize him?

No, what I am saying is that I'm gonna trust the coaching staff to do their job and know what talent they have over the Monday morning QB's out there that base talent utilization on 4 runs.
Or you could be a so called "monday morning QB" and base the talent evaluation on 3 years of pulling Trey when he was hot. Have you ever thought that a coach has too much invested in "his guys" and doesn't want to go away from them no matter what happens? Call it being the doghouse but Trey should have started over EVERY other back besides Cmike. Nobody rushed, caught, cut or had the speed that Trey does. I could do a stat analysis if you want and against SEC opponents.
I agree with this. Folks that think coaches don't make mistakes make me laugh. Why would a coach not want the ball in the hands of the guy that had the most (6+) yards per carry over a three-year period? Because he couldn't block? Well, guess what, the other backs were not as dangerous with the ball in their hand. Trey was the most likely guy in the backfield to break off a 20- 30 yard gain. Let the guy freelance. As a freshman, had 1.1 yards per carry more than CMike and .1 less than Malena. In that case, Malena should have been #1. He was a better blocker and just as good at getting yards.

What does it say about the scheme and coaching when the coaches are not happy with their most productive back? You have two 5-star backs and yet your run game sucks. Sure, given more attempts, the defences would start to key on Trey, but his statistical history shows that he is a hard guy to get a hold of. Also, defences were keying on WRs running 5-10 yards routes anyway. Did you see Spav doing anything to change that? No, he kept doing the same **** over and over again. Every defence knew a run play was coming and knew most of the passes early in the season were going to be short. Bama knew exactly what to expect on every play. But by all means don't question a young OCs knowledge or coaching ability.

If anyone thinks the running game was handled well last year, I'd love to hear how you come to that conclusion. There were things the staff f'd up last year for sure. The biggest being not having an effective run game in place to take pressure off of Kenny Hill. We had three quality backs that all had nice YPC averages. Running a two back set should have been considered. Is it smart to go four and five wide with one back when you have two fish QBs facing the toughest division? What would have been so difficult about using Carson and TWill together? Last year should have seen a closer to equal run to pass ratio just to help out the young QBs. Then start moving back to Sumlin's optimal scheme when your OC and QBs are more comfortable and experienced.

I stated this several times last year and most had the canned "I think the coaches know more than you." Well, they do but that doesn't mean they get it all right. This year, they're making the change a year late.
Kramer
AG
To me, that 11v11 clip highlights his issue.

The play is blocked. There's a seam there, and Trey has a choice: a) push that seam and get 4-5 more yards, but no more than 7. B) cut inside for an unknown number of yards. He chose and has always chosen b.

In that clip, he jump cuts but the safety is right there and would have tackled him immediately: meaning a gain of nothing.

NFL guys, outside a Barry Sanders, are physical and push seams. That's why I think teams passed on him.

I do wish him the best.
Bunk Moreland
Y'all remember when Shermdog wouldn't put in the JTrain vs. Arkansas State? Tried to prove a point.

Lol, then we lost. I knew we made the wrong hire right then and there.
Kramer
AG
Also, last year's oline play didn't exactly credit TW's strengths. He would be best when he can get a defense running and then break into the second level.

Last year's line struggle to block the front 4, and were down right awful on stretch runs. The thing they did best was straight ahead positional blocking against nickel. That wasn't good for TW has he was trying to run right at defense that was basically standing still.
aTmDave
AG
From Redskins.com first practice notes

"-- As expected, Alfred Morris and Matt Jones appeared to be getting the first-team reps at running back, with Chris Thompson, Silas Redd Jr. and Trey Williams sharing reps below them. Williams' speed and quickness up close certainly is impressive; how he will hold up when the pads come on remains to be seen, however."
Motel California
bigboykin
AG
quote:
Y'all remember when they announced that we hired Shermdog?

Lol. I knew we made the wrong hire right then and there.
FIFY
borski99
AG
Reminds me of that Cleveland Brown receiver from the '90s who could make tremendous cuts... forget his name.
borski99
AG
Webster Slaughter!
Ex-liberalag12
Nice !!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.