Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who is considered our "Big" rival? Opinions?

17,262 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TexanJeff
CosmicMaskedAvenger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our biggest rival is ourselves.

or polls.
Old School Wrecking Crew
AG
If you have to ask who your rival is you don't have one at the moment.
Agsuffering@bulaw
You dont just "decide to be rivals." It happens over generations. The sips were our rivals. We have moved to greener pastures.

A "rivalry" means that your program can be 3-8 going into the game, but winning makes you feel like the season was partially salvaged.

Us and the sips were a real rivalry. There was political intrigue, back-stabbing, more politics....

The only real "Rivalries" between SEC programs:

-Bama/Auburn
-Bama/tUT
-Auburn/UGA
-tUT/KY
-Ole Miss/MSU
-maybe UGA/UF

Yes, L$U can be crappy, especially how they ran from competition 20 years ago. Arkansas was bush-league for not letting our band march on their field in 2013. But we have common ground with both programs. Recruiting battles, yes. Political knife fights, no.
nalex15
AG
NOT tu
Slyfox07
AG
It's the Longhorns. Always will be.

LSU, Bama, Arkansas are side rivals
West Point Aggie
AG
In 2032, 20 years after the move to the SEC, and after many years of not playing the nutless ones (sans the possible bowl here and there) it will be clear that we will be strong rivals with LSU and Arkansas...the pig game will eventually return to campus.

The tea sip game may return to week 1 or sometime in September...I prefer not to play them in the regular season, but if the # of bleeding Vs in this forum is any indication, it will return in a decade or so...let's hope the fan base has shed its collective "I can't live if living is without you" mentality by then (seriously, I swear some Aggies probably have votives lit up until we play them again...)

F*** tu, by the way...
BrayK15
AG
If LSU is ever going to feel like a rivalry, don't we need a name for the game? This site has tickets for all the classic games. Every one has a name except for the "A&M-LSU Game." What should it be? Battle of the Bayou? Sabine Showdown? The Southern Thanksgiving Day Festival?

https://www.ticketcity.com/college-football/college-football-rivalry-tickets.html
Reno Hightower
The BDF
oklacityag75
AG
Alabama
LSU
Craigy
We don't have a rival. On sad note we are not a rival of anyone else. It will come. You can't force a rivalry (So.Caro) . See Texas Rangers vs Houston Astros. NOBODY gives any ***s about the Silver Boot Winner. Things happen naturally in sports. See what happened to Kenny Hill when people tried to force a nickname. It got him transferred to another school. We really need to win some big games this year, especially the teams we haven't beat. Lsu is a perfect rival but we aren't there yet.
I already have a dog
AG
The Lamar Billboard People.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
quote:
If LSU is ever going to feel like a rivalry, don't we need a name for the game? This site has tickets for all the classic games. Every one has a name except for the "A&M-LSU Game." What should it be? Battle of the Bayou? Sabine Showdown? The Southern Thanksgiving Day Festival?

https://www.ticketcity.com/college-football/college-football-rivalry-tickets.html

The Gulf War
95_Aggie
AG
The Rivalries Board will give you the answer you are looking for.
NyAggie
AG
biggest rival we don't play = tu
biggest rival we play = LSU
SA68AG
AG
Right now we're a team without a rivalry
ABATTBQ11
AG
Staph
Tursiops93
AG
A rivalry is between two Universities, not just 2 football teams. And although we may not play a game on the field, I would argue that there is indeed a very large football game played everyday and year between Us and the sips and that is called recruiting.

I feel the rivalry is very much alive with the sips and always will be in the great state of Texas! And in my opinion, when this game does finally continue (AND IT WILL...JUST WAIT), what a great day that will be. The histories of the two schools are intertwined and THAT makes a rivalry!

Gig 'Em and BEAT THE HELL OUTTA t.u.!
Spicewood Ag
AG

Thor77
AG
IMO --- LSU

Since tu has always said that OU is its' rival and not A&M, then we can't be rivals because rivalries need to be equal from both sides.

FabricatorAg
I still despise that last home loss to Arkansas State...never forget!
Cosmo57
Based on this board it Texas and always real be. Might as well go back to playing them. Most SEC matchup are too new to have enough history to be a real rivalry yet. Best bet would be LSU but you need at least a decade of games that means something and at least one good scandal or screwing by the refs to fire up the fan base. Arkansas has potential too based on SWC history. Need to play for something other then 5th play in the SEC west however.
Post removed:
by user
texasaggie84
AG
You are not real bright.
texasaggie84
AG
Horsecrap
Cowboy1990
quote:
The Longhorns.

Sad thing is they have always viewed Oklahoma as their biggest rival.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
ESPN because they hate us and we shafted them hard on the LHN venture.
TexAgs91
AG
Who is the one team that some "ags" are so afraid of losing to that we won't play them? t.u.

Of course they're our rivals. I say bring it on.
beerad12man
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
t.u.

Bring back the game! It has defined A&M for over 100 years.

Can't wait until this mentality dies. It's already starting to fade away thankfully.
It is true though. Our identity was and should be on beating the hell outta t.u.

Now our identity is based on claiming the victories of others in our conference. "but, but, but SEC West!" That's our new identity.

Bring back the rivalry that made A&M what we know and love.

Our identity should be about A&M and winning championships.
DayAg!
S
Whats telling for me is that I didnt even think of tu when I read the topic. You clowns chirping tu are stupid. That is all.

Oh,and I really dont like Bama.
halfastros81
AG
Who cares? Just win.
West Point Aggie
AG
"Bring back the rivalry that made A&M what we know and love."

I hate to be the one to break it to you, captain sunshine, BUT A&M WAS NOT MADE BY ITS RIVALRY WITH tu...PERIOD, END OF ****ING STORY! How embarrassing that you would even think so!
Kentucky Mustangs
quote:
You dont just "decide to be rivals." It happens over generations. A "rivalry" means that your program can be 3-8 going into the game, but winning makes you feel like the season was partially salvaged.

The only real "Rivalries" between SEC programs:

-Bama/Auburn
-Bama/tUT
-Auburn/UGA
-tUT/KY
-Ole Miss/MSU
-maybe UGA/UF
Not on your list but certainly should be is Ole Miss vs Vanderbilt

The first game between the Commodores and the Flood - Old Miss name till after SEC admission when they became the Rebels - was a 40-0 beatdown by Vanderbilt in 1894. It is about 4 hours between the two schools and the series is fairly balanced. It is one of those rivalries known inside the SEC but not known outside the SEC.
TexanJeff
AG
quote:
1. LSU-long history and we stole The Chief and some recruits. And Miles is the Mad Hatter of play-calling.

2. Arkansas-another long history and it's in JerryWorld where more hog fans can attend the games.

3. South Carolina because we'll see them every year and Spur-dog is pissed at us after last year. He'll ratchet the verbiage up for us while he's still there. (You can't spell Birmingham Bowl without "A" and "M".)

4. Bama because Saban versus Sumlin and taking ten years off of Saban's life. (Yeah, 59-0 salved that wound a little. But Saban will never sleep on a Sumlin team.)

5. Auburn because Malzahn and Muschamp versus Sumlin and The Chief. Clash of coaching strengths.

This is my list but the top 3 May rotate depending on the year

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.