Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Richardson dismissed from program

18,491 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
rocky the dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good riddance. Didn't he learn anything from the targeting rule?
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:
quote:
No, this was the correct route.

As somebody who supervises 30 twenty somethings, this didn't actually have to be done. Specifically, D1 isn't real life. Move him to the back, get him to the sideline . By accounts, he is a good guy with potential.

But no, the zoo wouldn't have that, no.
Maybe your 20 something's need to take a lesson in life from this. Actions have consequences! Stupidity is expensive!!!
I'd add "be aware of your surrounding" to the list. When you're on national friggin TV, your actions are going to be more closely scrutinized and the judgment will be harsher.
Tursiops93
AG
With this happening on national TV, being all over the media and reflecting so poorly on A&M, does anyone think that Sumlin had a choice? There is no way the administration would let Richardson stay with the program. If for no other reason than to repair the damage this incident caused to A&M's reputation.
VanZandt92
I'd bet Deputy Junior is a 22 year old who works in a cubicle.
EVA3
AG
quote:
Sometimes life lessons are learned the hard way.

Best of luck to him.

Absolutely agree. This was the right thing to do.
austinrb10
AG
It's the right thing to do, and hopefully, he learns from it. This instance can define who he becomes. I bet this motivates him to prove to people and himself he is worthy. As one of the earlier posts stated "you aren't a real man until you've been fired" (or something to that affect)
cecil77
AG
We have insufficient information to have an opinion on Sumlin's decision.

Was this a completely out of character, heat of the moment action than friends and coworkers just couldn't believe he was capable of? Or was this sort of thing typical for the guy and he's already had a couple of warnings?

We have no way of knowing.
bnago
AG
What Richardson did yesterday is NO WHERE CLOSE, not even in the same galaxy, as what Woody Hayes did. And for anyone thinking it is, you are an absolute moron...
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Just ignore him. Sumlin could rescue wesag's mother from Eastern European slave trade and he would have a problem with it.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
I'd bet Deputy Junior is a 22 year old who works in a cubicle.
Why? Because I don't think a major football program is f***ing daycare where these young men get as many chances as they want? Because I support Sumlin taking a tough action in light of a wave of bad publicity? Because I'm willing to put A&M's image ahead of Richardson's feelings after he acted like a complete idiot on the sidelines?

Is it "fair" that a fight and an arrest will get you a suspension whereas a couple of half-push-half-punches get you thrown off? Perhaps not. But life isn't fair. So he should have realized the situation (he's a coach on national TV) and adjusted his behavior. He didn't, and now he's suffering the consequences.

He's only 20, so he's got plenty of time to learn from this mistake and turn it around. Hopefully he will.
rhrabal
As an AG...... this is the right move.. and I don't particularly wish Mr. Richardson well.... he has a lot of growing up to do.
EVA3
AG
I wish him well but he has to go. Hopefully this will be a wake up call. If this had happened off the field, it's likely that he goes to jail.
JonSnow
I wish him well but he had to go. Bush league, classless move. There is no excuse for his behavior. He embarrassed himself and our program. It was the right move.
victory
AG
Anything less than a dismissal would not have been enough. Good for Sumlin, hopefully Richardson will learn from this.
Psych
AG
quote:
As an AG...... this is the right move.. and I don't particularly wish Mr. Richardson well.... he has a lot of growing up to do.

I recognize your writing style. I Freedom of information act requested emails to and from the AD and office of the president about the SEC move.

If you are who I think you are, you have a lot of growing up to do as well. Some of the letters you emailed to officials at our University were way over the line. I'm talking about things you said that were so terrible that they couldn't be explained by passion or emotions. The only way you could say the things you said were because you are a legitmetly a bad person. Shame on you.

Of course, if you aren't that person, I apologize for my rude comments as I'm sure you're actually a solid dude.
Deputy Travis Junior
That's a lot of deduction for such a short post.
WestlakeAg96
AG
Sumlin growing some balls! I like it.
MallalieuAg
AG
Since when do Aggies care what others say about us? They can all esad. The punishment did not fit the crime. I guess Aggies don't take care of each other. There should have been a consequence but not try to
ruin someone's life.
Burnsey
AG
Coach made the tough, but right decision. Mike did right by his apology. I hope he learns from this and uses this event as a motivator to finish his degree and go on to better his character.
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
Unfortunate for him, but it had to be done. Anybody know how much school he has left? Hopefully he will stick around and finish his degree. I'm not going to pile on - he made a mistake - 2 big mistakes - apologized and hopefully can get on with his life. It must be horrible to be ostracized for a dumb, spur of the moment mistake. Ex: Listeater or Sword guy.
Windy City Ag
AG
quote:
I recognize your writing style. I Freedom of information act requested emails to and from the AD and office of the president about the SEC move.

If you are who I think you are, you have a lot of growing up to do as well. Some of the letters you emailed to officials at our University were way over the line. I'm talking about things you said that were so terrible that they couldn't be explained by passion or emotions. The only way you could say the things you said were because you are a legitmetly a bad person. Shame on you.

Awkward moment if I have ever seen one.
Windy City Ag
AG
quote:
Since when do Aggies care what others say about us? They can all esad.

Probably when the campus admitted women or the Corps became a very small percentage of the student population.

If Texags was around back in the Cadet Sabre/SMU incident, I am betting half these guys would be defending the cadet.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Since when do Aggies care what others say about us? They can all esad. The punishment did not fit the crime. I guess Aggies don't take care of each other. There should have been a consequence but not try to
ruin someone's life.

1) It absolutely fit the crime. If you act like an idiot on the sidelines, being removed from the sidelines is a commensurate punishment.
2) his life isn't ruined. This is just a setback
Slyfox07
AG
Hope he learned that acting like an idiot has consequences. Good luck.
Rebbasser
AG
quote:
quote:
Since when do Aggies care what others say about us? They can all esad.

Probably when the campus admitted women or the Corps became a very small percentage of the student population.

If Texags was around back in the Cadet Sabre/SMU incident, I am betting half these guys would be defending the cadet.
I did and still do defend him. Old Army Fight!

And yes, I was there when it happened. In uniform.
mattvswild
AG
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Loyalty
AG
My son is a sophomore at A&M. Has met Mike R. A couple of times at the rec. Sounds like a real good guy but made a couple of bad choices. Hope he is allowed to continue his education.
72jag
AG
The right call. Good bye.
Z Team
AG
The whole thing bothers me. First off both hits were cheap and cowardly. But everyone freaking out over this tiny bump on the sidelines that would have been laughed at as a pansy hit if it occurred three feet in bounds, makes no sense to me.

It wasn't long ago you had to be careful when you ran onto the other teams sideline and nobody freaked out over a little bump.

I think what he did was wrong but rank it up there with spitting your gum out on the sidewalk. Why are we even talking about a football player getting pushed while playing football in full pads. My kids push each other harder wrestling in the living room at night and they don't even get in trouble.

Richardson was dumb, but all the pansy reactions are even dumber to me. The whole thing reveals our whole society is full of pansies. /Rant
Windy City Ag
AG
quote:
The whole thing reveals our whole society is full of pansies.

Or maybe the few that think this is excusable are just out of touch meat-heads.
Houstonag
AG
He needs to stay in school and finish. He also needs to fly to WV and meet these two players and apologize in person if he can. If not, go forward to let bad times be replaced with good deeds.
Pro Sandy
AG
Good move by Coach
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Had to be done. His actions overshadowed our win yesterday.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
quote:
quote:
You just have to wonder what the hell was going through his head because his actions were beyond stupid.
You ever been around football coaches? They're a fiery group. See Woody Hayes. It isn't part of the game, but some of the greats get out of control.
And what happened to Woody Hayes? He got fired.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.