Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Greg Mattison

12,534 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brewmaster
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Not saying he wouldn't be a good choice as a WR coach. Just pointing out that if Sumlin feels the need to bring in co-DC's that either someone else on the staff gets let go, or you don't bring in a position coach to fill the current void.

But I'm sure, most would agree that a former punter and special teams coach will fill the void that Beaty left (on and off the field).
I really can't tell if this is sarcasm at this point, but you do realize that Sumlin was a linebacker in college right? Just because you played one position in college doesn't confine you to that coaching bubble for the rest of your life.
dbro09
AG
quote:
Mattison is a great coach. If he gets the job I'll post some details about him and what to expect

I'm anxious to hear this info as well.

Food for thought, there are only 4 teams in the country this year with fewer defensive takeaways than A&M...Michigan is one of those 4.
Aero95
AG
quote:
quote:
Mattison is a great coach. If he gets the job I'll post some details about him and what to expect

Food for thought, there are only 4 teams in the country this year with fewer defensive takeaways than A&M...Michigan is one of those 4.

Spin it this way...if they fielded top 20 defenses consistently WITHOUT turnovers, then that is very impressive. We certainly didn't do that... I'd be happy with a defense that forces lots of punts instead of FG's.
dbro09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Spin it this way...if they fielded top 20 defenses consistently WITHOUT turnovers, then that is very impressive. We certainly didn't do that... I'd be happy with a defense that forces lots of punts instead of FG's.
I wish I had your optimism...

Michigan was 47th in the country in 3rd down conversion percentage at 38.2%. By comparison, we were 41.6%. Michigan was 8th in their own conference in 3rd down stops. They can't be forcing too many punts with numbers like that.

Go look at VT...their 3rd down conversion percentage is 27.3%.

If he comes here, I hope I'm wrong. But those are two key statistics that don't point to a top 20 defense.
Knife_Party
Except that is exactly what they had at Michigan. Michigan, in a horrible horrible year of football, still fielded the number 10 total defense in the nation.
Show me your TDs
Top ten defense after playing these offensive power houses:
Appalachian St
Miami of Ohio
Utah
Minnesota
Rutgers
PSU
MSU
Indiana
Northwestern
Maryland
OSU

and still went 5-7 with this top ten defense.
Worm01
AG
Let's phrase it this way. Mattison's WORST year at Michigan would be the the best defense we have put on the field in over a decade.

There's also this:

quote:
Under first-year defensive coordinator Greg Mattison, Michigan's defense went from being ranked 107th in scoring defense in 2010 (35.2 points per game) to being ranked sixth (17.38 points per game) in 2011.
Brewmaster
AG
moving BJ Anderson to WR coach would make more sense from a performance standpoint. Our OL play has sucked.

quote:

Why wait? this is only a forum for discussion
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Top ten defense after playing these offensive power houses:
Appalachian St
Miami of Ohio
Utah
Minnesota
Rutgers
PSU
MSU
Indiana
Northwestern
Maryland
OSU
28th ranked scoring D with that really tough schedule and only 5 interceptions on the whole year
but only 3.2 ypc against on Run D

allowed 31 to ND
30 to Minnesota
35 to Mich State
42 to Ohio State - who VT shut down, allowed just 21 and beat

only 5 int's on the whole year really stands out as does allowing 30 pts or more 4 times... but 2 or 3 posts above mine makes a good point (his 2011 defense)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.