Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Greg Mattison

12,512 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brewmaster
Knife_Party
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wasn't familiar with this dudes body of work so I just got done looking it up a bit. He has been the DC at Michigan for the last few years. Before that he was the DC for the Baltimore Ravens and has been a LB and DL coach at different levels of football. I was curious why we would want a DC from a school where the HC was fired. Well, here it is. Michigan did not suck this year because they had ****ty defense. In fact, during Mattison's tenure as DC at Michigan, they have been a top 20 defense most years, and some years a top 10 in total defense. He's a good DC, but he's old. Wouldn't be a bad hire from a scheme and technique perspective.
CrottyKid
AG
So what if Mattison is the supervising DC and Durkin is the assistant DC/DC in waiting. The agreement is for Mattison to stay on for 3 years max (probably 2 full time and 1 in a consultant role) and Durkin take over for the remainder of his contract. That would certainly be innovative.
SECTAMU#1
So the Bud Foster as DC is now off the table?
shano0603
AG
quote:
no
Knife_Party
quote:
Co-def coords - 1 to satisfy Old Army and 1 to satisfy New Army.

No idea. I'm just relaying information about Greg Mattison's career to the zoo for any naysayers.
Show me your TDs
Why would Durkin want to be an assistant DC? He was the DC at Florida. He's not going to a job that would be considered a demotion in title/responsibility.
amercer
AG
quote:

You assume it was on the table at some point?
B Team Captain
AG
The shared co-def coordinator dynamic worked when Mattison was coaching at FL. He shared it with Charlie and they had success. Charlie called the plays and Mattison pulled double duty as a position coach.
Btron
AG
quote:
Why would Durkin want to be an assistant DC? He was the DC at Florida. He's not going to a job that would be considered a demotion in title/responsibility.
That's what I've thought with all this innovative talk... But you never know. $$$ talks
BBQ4Me
AG
Mattison is a great coach. If he gets the job I'll post some details about him and what to expect
Show me your TDs
quote:
The shared co-def coordinator dynamic worked when Mattison was coaching at FL. He shared it with Charlie and they had success. Charlie called the plays and Mattison pulled double duty as a position coach.
If you're bringing in two coaches to replace the previous DC, what current position coach do you let go? What impact does that have on recruiting this late in the game?
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
#Hokies DC Bud Foster says he hasn't talked to any other schools about jobs or even discussed it with his agent.
xfactor91
GET HIM! HE was DL coach for the CREW at the height! 1989-1991!!!!

SIGN HIM NOW.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
quote:
If you're bringing in two coaches to replace the previous DC, what current position coach do you let go? What impact does that have on recruiting this late in the game?

You don't have to let anyone go.
AgBeliever
AG
quote:
GET HIM! HE was DL coach for the CREW at the height! 1989-1991!!!!

SIGN HIM NOW.
Great observation.
Btron
AG
quote:
Mattison is a great coach. If he gets the job I'll post some details about him and what to expect
why wait?
bwmammoth
AG
Yes, Mattison bringing the Wrecking Crew back. Durkin and Mattison are both excellent recruiters.
aginresearch
AG
It seems there are tweets that have a slightly different take of that teleconference you posted a tweet from:
quote:
Alex Koma @AlexKomaVT
42m42 minutes ago
On a #Hokies coordinator teleconference: Bud Foster staying tight lipped on other jobs, as expected. Says he hasn't spoken with other teams.
Not radically different but seems to leave the door open for other job possibilities. What was the question and what was Foster's response in the teleconference?
Show me your TDs
quote:
quote:
quote:

You don't have to let anyone go.
You do know that you have a limited number of coaches you can bring in (those damn NCAA guidelines). I'll go ahead and assume that if you're not letting anyone go on the defensive side of the ball to bring in co-DC's then Sumlin isn't planning on hiring in a WR coach.
CrottyKid
AG
Bingo.

Say hello to your new WR coach.

welborn
So is this thread an attempt to test the water? See how this is all gonna go over in the Zoo?
vander54
S
quote:
So what if Mattison is the supervising DC and Durkin is the assistant DC/DC in waiting. The agreement is for Mattison to stay on for 3 years max (probably 2 full time and 1 in a consultant role) and Durkin take over for the remainder of his contract. That would certainly be innovative.

That would be New way of doing things.
AgBank
AG
quote:
So is this thread an attempt to test the water? See how this is all gonna go over in the Zoo?
Hard to say if it is testing the waters or getting the Zoo approval.
Maroon Flash
AG
Our DL was badass when Mattison coached it. He was one Coach I really hated to see us lose. There is no doubt whatsoever about his football knowledge.

Sounds like this is a good deal because having Mattison around as a Co-DC for a couple of years derisks the hire of a very young DC.

I am good with this. Never have been a fan of ex-head Coach retreads as coordinators.
welborn
quote:
quote:
Hard to say if it is testing the waters or getting the Zoo approval.

It's definitely one of the two at least.
AgBank
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You do know that you have a limited number of coaches you can bring in (those damn NCAA guidelines). I'll go ahead and assume that if you're not letting anyone go on the defensive side of the ball to bring in co-DC's then Sumlin isn't planning on hiring in a WR coach.
CrottyKid may be correct, but I cannot see how this offense works without a WR coach. It is too important of a position.

Banks seems like a tireless worker, and has improved our ST, but I doubt he would be the best WR coach.
Show me your TDs
quote:
Bingo.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/PW/PWYTCCAPAWEVJVO.20130121170132.jpg
I'll give it to you. That's "innovative". Let's make a former punter our WR Coach.

I stand corrected. Sumlin does have everything under control.
B Team Captain
AG
Durkin coached ST at Bowling Green, Stanford, and FL to give Banks a rest
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:

Because a lolpoor poster started a topic about a different DC?

That's exactly what it means.

/TexAgs
DallasAg 94
quote:

quote:
Alex Koma @AlexKomaVT
42m42 minutes ago
On a #Hokies coordinator teleconference: Bud Foster staying tight lipped on other jobs, as expected. Says he hasn't spoken with other teams.

HE hasn't spoken to teams.

If he is waiting on $800K... the contract language may prohibit him from speaking to other teams before he collects. In which case his AGENT very well could be a relayer of information.

I don't know either way, but that could be the hair being split.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
Bingo.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/PW/PWYTCCAPAWEVJVO.20130121170132.jpg
I'll give it to you. That's "innovative". Let's make a former punter our WR Coach.

I stand corrected. Sumlin does have everything under control.
Dude all you have done all day is ***** about Sumlin. At least charge him rent for taking that much space in your head. You sound like one of the Sips.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Of course he's going to say he hasn't. Anyone that would say they had in this situation would be an idiot. It's all about having the upper hand in negotiations. This is not news.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:
Please do this if so. Thanks!
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
Let's make a former punter our WR Coach.

Because coaches can only coach the position they played, right?
Show me your TDs
Not saying he wouldn't be a good choice as a WR coach. Just pointing out that if Sumlin feels the need to bring in co-DC's that either someone else on the staff gets let go, or you don't bring in a position coach to fill the current void.

But I'm sure, most would agree that a former punter and special teams coach will fill the void that Beaty left (on and off the field).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.