Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is Trey Williams being under utilized, he kept his commitment to A&M

16,792 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TX scallywAG
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I tend to agree. Carson doesn't work well with our current line production. I'd rather get Trey more involved in swing passes, screens or try to get him matched up with a LB out wide. We seem to have forgotten this offense is a pass first offense. We need to utilize the RB's that are more dynamic in the passing game and commit to focusing on doing what we do well.
SwagObserver
quote:
Our use of RBs the last 2 1/2 seasons has been puzzling. This offense should have the RBs catch 60 passes a year. Also TW should get more time at slot receiver instead of Nedierhofer. Sumlin has flat out lied about the best players will play. A lot of the offense and defense is not the best players, in fact some of those guys need to be playing at Texas State, not Texas A&M.
SwagObserver
quote:
quote:
Our use of RBs the last 2 1/2 seasons has been puzzling. This offense should have the RBs catch 60 passes a year. Also TW should get more time at slot receiver instead of Nedierhofer. Sumlin has flat out lied about the best players will play. A lot of the offense and defense is not the best players, in fact some of those guys need to be playing at Texas State, not Texas A&M.

Agree!
aggieclay
quote:
College football is loaded with guys that are big or fast or strong, but how many teams have a guy that Is fast/quick/strong/elusive and has vision. Trey is a rare talent that not too many teams have. He is the only player on our team that has that rare skillset . Why did we recruit all these RB's if all they do is block or run behind pass blocking?

I agree 100%. Is this offense Sumlin's? He's not using the talent we have the right way but then again when the oline is as soft and scared as ours is, well, there's not much anyone can do. Fire Snyder, Hagen, Anderson and reassign Spav to, idk whatever. Hire someone who knows how to utilize the weapons you have.
SwagObserver
quote:
Right now for the RBs, Trey is the leading rusher, has the highest avg per carry, has the longest run, the leading RB on total offensive yards, the leading RB on All Purpose yards and has the most TD's of all RB's ,on just an average of 6.5 carries per game. On KR Trey has the highest avg per return and has the longest return. -- By the way, 75 yard kick returns are few and far between in the SEC. The angle of pursuit can catch up to anyone. Who else is doing this while pass blocking and sitting on the bench most of the game?
]RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Trey Williams 8 52 323 10 313 6.0 5 48 39.1
Tra Carson 7 59 290 11 279 4.7 4 24 39.9
Brandon Williams 8 41 214 5 209 5.1 2 27 26.1

]ALL PURPOSE GP Rush Rcv PR KR IR Total Avg/G
Speedy Noil 7 10 392 114 349 0 865 123.6
Trey Williams 8 313 60 0 289 0 662 82.8
Josh Reynolds 8 0 518 0 0 0 518 64.8
Edward Pope 8 0 421 0 0 0 421 52.6
Malcome Kennedy 6 -3 382 0 0 0 379 63.2
JJxvi
AG
Trey Williams probably has the lowest MEDIAN yards per carry of any of our backs. Meaning on his typical carry he gets less yards than either BWill or Carson, but his average is high because of a couple long runs.
SwagObserver
quote:
quote:
College football is loaded with guys that are big or fast or strong, but how many teams have a guy that Is fast/quick/strong/elusive and has vision. Trey is a rare talent that not too many teams have. He is the only player on our team that has that rare skillset . Why did we recruit all these RB's if all they do is block or run behind pass blocking?

I agree 100%. Is this offense Sumlin's? He's not using the talent we have the right way but then again when the oline is as soft and scared as ours is, well, there's not much anyone can do. Fire Snyder, Hagen, Anderson and reassign Spav to, idk whatever. Hire someone who knows how to utilize the weapons you have.
Why do we keep Sumlin? He seems to be a CEO! He's not like Saban or the rest of the head coaches in the SEC.
JJxvi - You should take a look at Trey's situational stats before you comment
http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/697/1049529/rushing/situational.html
94chem
Leland was caught from behind in the '94 Texas game in Austin. I guess he was too slow as well.
SwagObserver
Is it possible that Sumlin never really wanted Trey Williams and decided to pick up Brandon Williams and Tra Carson instead?
BowhunterAg83
AG
Trey may have problems learning plays. He has inconsistent work habits as well.
SwagObserver
The plays have been the same since he's been there. Heck they don't even need a playbook. He looks like he is in great shape. I hear his work ethic is great. This staff just doesn't get it. We speculate on the things that this staff does because things just don't make sense. Another coach is going to get demoted or lose his job because the root is weak.
BowhunterAg83
AG
i have known Trey since he was in jr high. Great talent. He does not like working on catching the ball.
He does not get many yards after contact.
If our offensive line had bigger splits and cold run block better, he could use his skills in open space.
He has a great burst and amazing lateral skills. Top speed gets a little slower every yr.
Spav knew how to get the ball to Tavon Austin at WV. If Trey were that good, he would be getting the ball.
SEC west is brutal!
Hope he finds his way.
ashley
Trey is small , especially from the waist down. He is mostly ineffective running between the tackles because he cannot break tackles. Arm tackles by the big strong D linemen and backers in the SEC can get him down.
SwagObserver
Is that why he is the leading rusher in so many of the team categories that I listed earlier? We are starting to see what Spav knows! I can't tell the difference between Spav and McKinney when it comes to play calling.
Ben Diamond
In this fancy spread offense Trey should be a star. Would be at Oregon or Mississippi State.
ashley
quote:
Is that why he is the leading rusher in so many of the team categories that I listed earlier?
There is a place for him but witch teams did he make most of his yards.
Ben Diamond
When you never touch the ball how would we have any idea what he can do?
1876er
AG
Darren Sproles, MJD, and Ray Rice are all about the same size as TW. They seem to do OK.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
quote:
Darren Sproles, MJD, and Ray Rice are all about the same size as TW. They seem to do OK.
HossAg
AG
I feel bad for Trey. Any other SEC school and he might be a heisman contender.
Asian Sensation
Love all three of our running backs, and they all have different skill sets. I think Slim is the best of them in terms of being a complete package. Really frustrating to see them all underutilized and wasted; they are all talented enough to play at the next level.
ashley
quote:
Do you really think Trey has the legs and strength of those guys. Check his legs out.
Brazos Born
Be Of Good Cheer
94chem
I'd love to see us go 5 wides, because the defense thinks it's a free run at the QB. Then bring Trey in motion, hand off on a sweep, have him stop motion and run between the tackles, stay in and block, flare into the flat for a swing pass, turn it into a wheel route, or even zone read just to keep the D honest. Michael scored on this formation on a swing pass in the 2007 t.u. game. You can run basically the entire offense out of this look. Imagine putting Clear in one slot and RSJ in the other with Trey. Noil and Kennedy on the outside. The big bodies can block down or lead block on the sweep, run the seam route, settle underneath, or stay in for max protection. I missed the last game, but I don't know that I've seen this much at all.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I have an idea.

We should only use walk ons at Running Back. No need to waste scholarships on positions we don't use. Then we could recruit 3 more defensive players.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
Trey Williams is a good player. He's not some kind of game breaker talent though.

Even though we have had good recruiting classes the past 2 seasons (if you judge recruiting classes by stars), we seem to lack getting young guys who are true game-breaking talents. I guess Speedy Noil and Myles Garrett are the exceptions to this rule.
claym711
AG
Trey is not an NFL back. He is not cut from the build of MJD, Rice, etc. He might be able to catch on with someone as a 3rd string and special teams guy.

Carson may be able to play in the NFL, but his lateral quickness is pretty poor.

BWill I would be surprised if he makes a team. He is a long strider and upright runner.
BowhunterAg83
AG
quote:
Trey is not an NFL back. He is not cut from the build of MJD, Rice, etc. He might be able to catch on with someone as a 3rd string and special teams guy.

Carson may be able to play in the NFL, but his lateral quickness is pretty poor.

BWill I would be surprised if he makes a team. He is a long strider and upright runner.
the only sensible thing I have read on this thread.

We do not have but two players on our team that could start/play for Alabama, Miss st, Ol Miss. ( they are freshman) .
Defense:
Our lb's and db's are beyond poor. Their is nothing we can do with defensive schemes to hide that many mis matches!
We can play cover 2 or 6 and protect the corners, stopping the pass- then they will run down the field on us.
or we can load the box stopping the run and play man and let the wr and te's torch us.
Offense:
Our stud offensive line is getting man handled. Cant run or pass.
Passes must be short routes because qb gets sacked on longer developing pass plays.
Safeties are playing very deep to stop deep passes and have more men in coverage because we can not run the ball.
Firing Spav is beyond stupid. The position coaches have not changed ( they do all the teaching)
Firing Snyder at yr end depends on how many recruits he has committed to 'him".
1876er
AG
Yeah, Trey Williams isn't good enough for Alabama Ole Miss or MSU. Thats why they offered him a scholarship to play there. The Mississippi schools offered almost every one of our recruits over the last 4 years. They even offered the Texags whipping boys, Mastrogiovanni and Hill.

I guess the Mississippi schools were just lucky they whiffed on so many A&M recruits.
BowhunterAg83
AG
quote:
Yeah, Trey Williams isn't good enough for Alabama Ole Miss or MSU. Thats why they offered him a scholarship to play there. The Mississippi schools offered almost every one of our recruits over the last 4 years. They even offered the Texags whipping boys, Mastrogiovanni and Hill.

I guess the Mississippi schools were just lucky they whiffed on so many A&M recruits.
not all 5 stars turn out to be great players! Many 3 stars turn into players ( Manziel, Evans).
Masto is too small and too slow today. Maybe he is a player when he is a sr? I think Hill can play and will get better but he better hurry up.
I have known Trey since jr high and like to watch him run. Being offered a scholarship does not make you a good player.

If the O line can not block the front 4, nobody is getting any yardage!
1876er
AG
So our coaches just get all the busts. Tough luck.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
He was even taken off the starting KR team

I don't have much thought on the RB situation, as thats been a huge question for two years now. But for kick returns, I assume the reason he isn't out there as much anymore is because he is probably the stupidest KR I've ever seen play the sport. Absolutely an idiot back there. He has the highest probability to take one for a TD on the team, and also the highest probability to do something completely stupid. It wouldn't shock me if being dumb hindered his usage in other phases of the game as well, fantastic physical talent and all.
SwagObserver
That comment is inappropriate and unacceptable. The kid doesn't even get that many returns, because so many kicks are into the end zone.
ashley
quote:
quote:

I don't have much thought on the RB situation, as thats been a huge question for two years now. But for kick returns, I assume the reason he isn't out there as much anymore is because he is probably the stupidest KR I've ever seen play the sport. Absolutely an idiot back there. He has the highest probability to take one for a TD on the team, and also the highest probability to do something completely stupid. It wouldn't shock me if being dumb hindered his usage in other phases of the game as well, fantastic physical talent and all.
Your comments are not true and certainly don't belong on here.
SwagObserver
quote:
quote:

WOW!!!! Can't believe this comment is still out here after being FLAGGED as Hateful. Sounds like Squirrel Master has Pen** Envy and cant get a nut!! HAhahahahahaha
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.