Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is Trey Williams being under utilized, he kept his commitment to A&M

16,791 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TX scallywAG
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If TW is in the doghouse, its because he has said the same thing we have. Basically, the coaches suck at play calling and he knows it.
Bunny Ag
We're so good at squandering away 5 stars
SwagObserver
Truth is - A lot of guys are being underutilized! I should have asked - Why are so many players being underutilized? Why are the other guys being used the wrong way?
weeza
AG
WTFRU?
turboboost
AG
**** that! Make Trey QB!
Brakeman
Fire the coaching staff every 3 years, when you dont like everything they're doing. This way, we never build a program at all.
fwag04
AG
I'm surprised he didn't transfer. He never redshirted, so he still could. If I were him, i would
Ben Diamond
Would've been a star at Oregon, Auburn or Mississippi State. Five star that should be getting handoffs, running jet sweeps getting screens. Instead this tired and boring offense just keeps sucking. Without johnny it's really boring.
realag14
aeon-ag
Why are our player being under utilized?!
aeon-ag

So correct about some players need to be at TS!!!
jim 78
AG
quote:
I was wondering this too...hope it isn't another cmike situation.
yep the screwed cmike over
SwagObserver
Why do we have coaches that screw over our players? This is going to hurt us in the long run at recruiting. The word is getting around! This was never a problem under Sherman.
SwagObserver
Here are the stats as of Oct 2, 2014 ESPN report
Trey Williams is ranked 2nd is SEC in rushing yards per carry before contact in SEC. A measurement of speed and quickness.

Here are the leaders in rushing yards per carry after contact.
Player Average National rank in SEC 1. Todd Gurley, Georgia 4.339 2. Josh Robinson, Mississippi State 4.014 3. I'Tavius Mathers, Ole Miss 3.8115 4. Darrel Williams, LSU 3.6420 5. Jonathan Williams, Arkansas 3.3928 6. Alex Collins, Arkansas 3.331 7. Russell Hansbrough, Missouri 3.2733 8. Terrence Magee, LSU 3.1835 9. Nick Marshall, Auburn 3.0242 10. Derrick Henry, Alabama 2.7758
Here are the leaders in rushing yards per carry before contact. A measurement of speed and quickness.
1. Braylon Heard, Kentucky 5.95 * 2. Trey Williams, Texas A&M 4.6616 * 3. Todd Gurley, Georgia 4.5121 * 4. Jaylen Walton, Ole Miss 4.3125 * 5. Corey Grant, Auburn 4.2927 * 6. Jonathan Williams, Arkansas 3.9738 * 7. Alex Collins, Arkansas 3.9241 * 8. Kelvin Taylor, Florida 3.8544 * 9. Josh Robinson, Mississippi State 3.8247 * 10. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 3.5258
ashley
quote:
Trey Williams is ranked 2nd is SEC in rushing yards per carry before contact in SEC. A measurement of speed and quickness.

Player Average National rank in SEC 1. Todd Gurley, Georgia 4.339 2. Josh Robinson, Mississippi State 4.014 3. I'Tavius Mathers, Ole Miss 3.8115 4. Darrel Williams, LSU 3.6420 5. Jonathan Williams, Arkansas 3.3928 6. Alex Collins, Arkansas 3.331 7. Russell Hansbrough, Missouri 3.2733 8. Terrence Magee, LSU 3.1835 9. Nick Marshall, Auburn 3.0242 10. Derrick Henry, Alabama 2.7758
Here are the leaders in rushing yards per carry before contact. A measurement of speed and quickness.
1. Braylon Heard, Kentucky 5.95 * 2. Trey Williams, Texas A&M 4.6616 * 3. Todd Gurley, Georgia 4.5121 * 4. Jaylen Walton, Ole Miss 4.3125 * 5. Corey Grant, Auburn 4.2927 * 6. Jonathan Williams, Arkansas 3.9738 * 7. Alex Collins, Arkansas 3.9241 * 8. Kelvin Taylor, Florida 3.8544 * 9. Josh Robinson, Mississippi State 3.8247 * 10. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 3.5258
This is what I have been trying to say. He is an in space runner, not a between the tackles guy. Too light in the butt and legs.
that poster
Smurf back syndrome - an Aggie tradition.

Did we offer Chubb, Gurley, Yeldon or Fournette?
txag64
I have been waiting three years for him to have a breakout game, maybe one of the next four?
fireinthehole
News flash, our whole damn offense is being under utilized.
SwagObserver
The objective of the smart RB is to gain efficient yardage. The chances of doing that increase when you AVOID contact. Anyone can run into someone. It takes a special skill set of vision/quickness/speed/lateral movement/elusiveness/experience to be efficient, that is why he is the leading RB. Barry Sanders is an excellent example. If having big legs was the objective, then lineman and body builders would be Running Backs. Also, to run successfully between the tackles requires good blocking. No one can just run into a pile of defenders and just push everyone back. But I have seen Trey surrounded by 5 defenders against Ole Miss, made all of them Miss and then scored a TD, skinny legs and all.
ashley
quote:
The objective of the smart RB is to gain efficient yardage. The chances of doing that increase when you AVOID contact. Anyone can run into someone. It takes a special skill set of vision/quickness/speed/lateral movement/elusiveness/experience to be efficient, that is why he is the leading RB. Barry Sanders is an excellent example. If having big legs was the objective, then lineman and body builders would be Running Backs. Also, to run successfully between the tackles requires good blocking. No one can just run into a pile of defenders and just push everyone back. But I have seen Trey surrounded by 5 defenders against Ole Miss, made all of them Miss and then scored a TD, skinny legs and all.
OK, I'll try to help you one more time. Lets try powerful legs for power running.
SwagObserver
quote:
quote:
OK, I'll try to help you one more time. Lets try powerful legs for power running.
Oh! I'm sorry. You must be talking about a Fullback. Well, that position has become Extinct!!! The modern Football game has evolved into a game of Speed and Quickness at the skill positions and Power at the Line of Scrimmage positions. 60 years ago Football was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those days are gone. Chances are if you tried to play the game that you would probably want to run more like Trey, instead of running into people with power, risking your health.
ashley
quote:
quote:
quote:
Oh! I'm sorry. You must be talking about a Fullback. Well, that position has become Extinct!!! The modern Football game has evolved into a game of Speed and Quickness at the skill positions and Power at the Line of Scrimmage positions. 60 years ago Football was 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those days are gone. Chances are if you tried to play the game that you would probably want to run more like Trey, instead of running into people with power, risking your health.
No, I am talking about being able to run thru tackles some time. Read the stats, there is a reason he is not listed among the best in YAC. Their is a place for Trey but he has not been consistently effective between the tackles.
SwagObserver
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
No, I am talking about being able to run thru tackles some time. Read the stats, there is a reason he is not listed among the best in YAC. Their is a place for Trey but he has not been consistently effective between the tackles.
So I guess you feel that he should not be playing, well that's your opinion. Running Backs usually try to gain yardage the best way that they can. It is not mandatory that you run thru people. Trey has been the most successful RB on the team. The other RB's that are running thru tackles have fewer yards and less TD's. No one can do everything. We are fortunate to have a guy like Trey with his skill set. I was just questioning why he is under utilized. To speculate that it's because he doesn't run thru tackles is ridiculous. Numbers Don't Lie! Trey is productive and needs to get the ball more. By the way - Who has better stats and runs thru tackles, on this team?
Slyfox07
AG
Every time I watch Trey carry the rock I get the feeling he could break off a long one at any second. He should be our feature back.

I hate RB committees.
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
quote:

This is what I have been trying to say. He is an in space runner, not a between the tackles guy. Too light in the butt and legs.

.... weird comment, even by zoo terms. We're now bringing butt size into the conversation as to why our offense sucks. Why not, I'm open to all theories!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.