Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

BZ with a good column

16,633 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Chicken Ranch
Bankeraggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:

1. We lost to number 1,3&4 teams in the country. Two on the road. I would venture to guess every team in the Big 12 would have lost those games as well.

What does this have to do with anything? Grasping at moral victories does nothing to counter BZ's arguments

and most small schools would have lost those games too. So what? Is that our measuring stick now?

How many teams would lose 59-0? Not that many. Embrace the suck
millertyme
AG
quote:
Hey Brent the article isn't bad but there are a couple of things you left out.

1. We lost to number 1,3&4 teams in the country. Two on the road. I would venture to guess every team in the Big 12 would have lost those games as well.
2. You failed to point out that Sumlin lost his two best players after their soph years. That is hard for anyone to overcome at this point in our rebuilding mode. LSU is a good example of that. If Johnny and Mike return we are not having this conversation.

Kabish!!!
Point #1 is a huge copout! Yes, we lost to some highly ranked team but if you objectively watched the last 3 weeks, the amount of effort put forth by this team drastically diminished with each passing week. I'll agree most Big 12 teams would have lost those games but I guarantee you many of those teams would have went down swinging. The A&M team I saw on the field in the second half of the Ole Miss game and all of the Bama game showed very little fight or heart to play those games (minus a few exceptions).
AgDotCom
quote:
Hey choir boy, your way was tried and this gee-golly good ol boy method has failed already. Aggie beliefs be damned. Winning is all that matters to everyone. This isn't the 1950s where every player says "Yes Mam, No Sir," and has a crew cut haircut.

Tell that to Jackie.

Or Saban. Or any other accomplished coach whose players **** their pants when they see him.
Jimtim1216
S
Good article.

I think Sumlin bought into the SC game too much as well. He DID/HAS not sone a very good job of righting the ship after the signs that this team was regressing badly each game after the opener. I get the feeling from the looks on his face during the game Saturday that it finally sunk in that this team really is as bad as it seemed on Saturday.

Can he right this ship quickly, I believe he can. He is not like Mack and not the brightest bulb in the world as far as coaching goes. I think he will modify what he can during the next week or so, but I think the real re-tooling will be in the off-season. I will not be surprised to see this team change to a multiple offensive look, keeping elements of the air raid and bringing in some pro-style offense as well. He has the QB in Allen and to an extent Hill to run this now. Kyler will be a fit in it as well.
Defensively, I think Snyder is a very good defensive coach, but I think he needs to be gone, if for no other reason, to get the fan base and BMA's back on board.

Overall, I am a little surprised at the implosion on Saturday. I expected a loss like the previous 2 games with us gaining yards in garbage time. This is the type of game that will truly see how smart Sumlin truly is. I believe that he is a very smart coach.
APHIS AG
And Sumlin did parlay a big increase in salary off of JFF. Very clever indeed.

Now it is time to earn it.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Does Sumlin deserve any credit for Johnny's play the last two years ?
bogustrumper
AG
Good article but this has nothing to do with the fans getting too excited. That is what most fans do!

This is all on Sumlin.

He has to make decisions that will remedy the situation. If he doesn't will lose his job.

I don't think any coaches will be fired in season but changes will be made unless there is complete turnaround and they win out. That will not happen with the current mindset of the team.

A lot of players quit or didn't mentally show up Saturday. The film will show it.

Sumlin has to bench them, meet with them, and consider kicking them off the team. If he doesn't take action A&M will not win another game and his job will be in jeopardy as it should be.
Frok
AG
That article is dead on. This program got arrogant and cocky really fast before winning any kind of championship. I think the team worked really hard prior to South Carolina and then took a month off afterwards due to the ridiculously easy schedule.

Sumlin has been humbled. I hope he is able to right the ship before this season ends. We still have 3 conference games left to redeem ourselves.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Chickens
Roost

And intentionally dropped passes.
Trill that.
oldjohnny
quote:
quote:
Hey choir boy, your way was tried and this gee-golly good ol boy method has failed already. Aggie beliefs be damned. Winning is all that matters to everyone. This isn't the 1950s where every player says "Yes Mam, No Sir," and has a crew cut haircut.

Tell that to Jackie.

Or Saban. Or any other accomplished coach whose players **** their pants when they see him.

Yet they still have run ins with the law now and then. It hasn't even been a week since Alabama's Tight End was busted with weed.

The whole notion that we need boy scouts and only boy scouts is stupid. Does this team need discipline? Yes, but to hold every player to the Aggie Code of honor is dumb when many of us don't do it in our daily lives. All that matters is winning.
AG
Article is dead on
millertyme
AG
My concern is the benching of those who don't show the heart and effort to play. I have not seen much evidence that this mantra is the case with this team. Sure, players like Neiderhofer get in the game because they play with heart and desire. But for the most part, terrible play and lack of effort have rarely pushed anyone to the bench in the past 3 years.
94chem
Kenny Hill gave himself a nickname after his first game. I was embarrassed at the time, and now I think we are seeing that it was symptomatic of a program that was getting full of itself. Honestly, my biggest concern is the offensive line. We've got 3 backs who are all better than Ben Malena, but we can't run the ball for more than 2 yards. I can't even fairly evaluate the defense. Sure, they've been bad, but every defense is bad when it has to play 100 snaps. We knew they needed help, and the offense has given them NONE.
TMF
AG
I bet there are several b12 schools that wouldn't have lost all 3 games before halftime. Folks. It's not that we lost, we didn't show up or look like we even cared to play! Sumlin has a serious problem and he needs to buck up and make the difficult decisions.
phillyag92
AG
Good column. Let's just hope this program wakes up. Otherwise it will be business as usual for Aggie football- not doing much of anything since 1998. Embarrassing.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Kenny Hill gave himself a nickname after his first game. I was embarrassed at the time, and now I think we are seeing that it was symptomatic of a program that was getting full of itself. Honestly, my biggest concern is the offensive line. We've got 3 backs who are all better than Ben Malena, but we can't run the ball for more than 2 yards. I can't even fairly evaluate the defense. Sure, they've been bad, but every defense is bad when it has to play 100 snaps. We knew they needed help, and the offense has given them NONE.

Agree. It all starts with the offensive line. It has been...well...offensive.

As for Kenny. I think he definitely loved the limelight, but he did not give himself a nickname. The dbag fanboys and the local dick-sucking media gave him the nickname.

As soon as he got back and had his first PC, half the questions were asking if he heard about the internet fodder with nicknames, and asking him to pick one. He didn't bring any of that up.

Media ****ed that one up.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
An extremely astute observer of A&M football told me a year ago to keep an eye on the progress or lack of of the offensive line as the players get further and further away from the Sherman/Jim Turner tutelage, two men who are passionate and technically sound regarding the line. The current (and veteran) offensive line, thought to be the team's biggest strength entering the season, is one of its biggest weaknesses. Why is that?

quote:
It's evident A&M's lack of discipline off the field around 20 arrests in the past 20 months or so carries over to on the field, and that's squarely on Sumlin. He's reiterated the program is taking steps to remedy the discipline issues, and a good gauge of that will be the next nine months (leading to 2015 training camp).

Dead on.

But but but recruiting

But but but young

But but but the cupboard was bare

But but but BZ is just mean

But but but best player in history

I could go on.

Sumlin is 100% responsible for the product on the field. Based on the last three weeks, he has questions to answer.
He has questions to answer only if people start asking the damn questions
zmurda
This article...spot effing on.
RAB91
A good read........ the ones who have issues with it are the delusional part of our fan base. They're probably the same ones who are asking for premiums for the remaining games over on the Ticket Exchange.
Hms300
AG
Dead On! Regress in three years. Perhaps Sumlin is not what we thought.

Stop with all the tricked up uniforms, stupid ass fireworks and WFF entrance. How about we just wear the traditional uniform, enter the field and freaking play some damn football.
zmurda
quote:
A good read........ the ones who have issues with it are the delusional part of our fan base. They're probably the same ones who are asking for premiums for the remaining games over on the Ticket Exchange.
The ones who take issue are more likely just women. Women can enjoy the social aspects of a 59-0 sodomy session as long as they can be with the people they love. Men well, men can't.
Teslag
AG
Seems like the "men" here are pissed because they were okay with losing as long as we kept it close. 59-58 is the same as 59-0 to me. At the end of the day you're still a loser.
Upperdeck Critic
quote:
Humility...gotta keep things in perspective
Especially the 100 Year Decision.
agforlife97
AG
quote:
Perhaps Sumlin is not what we thought.

Before the season, most people, including BZ, picked us to go 7-5 or 8-4. Well guess what, we'll probably go 7-5. Sure, it sucks to get hammered by top 5 teams, but that's what happens to teams that lose players like Manziel, Evans, Joeckel, etc. Wait until you see Miss State play next year.

Now, that's not to say there aren't things to criticize. I've been disturbed by some of the arrests and attrition too. But some of our best recruits from 11-12-13 have been injured, and that's hard to control.

It seems to me that one thing we can control is who coaches our defense. It is high time for some changes there. The scheme is just terrible. Some of the conversions to A. Cooper on third down early in the game were so easy it made me want to throw up.

OL regressing is also a major issue, and seems to raise some coaching concerns.

But let's not get too carried away. Under Fran we had issues like this, but we also couldn't recruit then, which left basically no hope at all. Sumlin has clearly elevated the talent of the program, and continues to do so. The team quite simply is not nearly as bad as it has played the last few weeks.
AGGIE03
AG
Depressing article, but spot on.
oldjohnny
quote:
Dead On! Regress in three years. Perhaps Sumlin is not what we thought.

Stop with all the tricked up uniforms, stupid ass fireworks and WFF entrance. How about we just wear the traditional uniform, enter the field and freaking play some damn football.

If your first gripe is uniforms, fireworks, and entrances, then you're a ****ing dumbass.
Artorias
AG
quote:
Hey Brent the article isn't bad but there are a couple of things you left out.

It's less about losing. I think anyone here would not necessarily be up in arms with just losing to those teams. It is HOW we lost - getting embarrassed on national TV all 3 times, including at home in front of the biggest crowd ever in Texas.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Aggie beliefs be damned. Winning is all that matters to everyone.

As putrid as your comment is, sadly many do feel that way.

Texas A&M University, the education it provides, the values being an Aggie instills, and the lifetime of achievement it makes possible, don't need a football team. Comments like this make me wish we'd do away with the entire thing, if this sort of sentiment comes from it. Hope you were joking, if not - poor form.
AG
quote:
Seems like the "men" here are pissed because they were okay with losing as long as we kept it close. 59-58 is the same as 59-0 to me. At the end of the day you're still a loser.

I feel ya, but there is a HUGE difference between losing and not even being competitive.

Looks the same on the w-l record, but it ain't the same.
Artorias
AG
quote:

It is not at all the same. Not even close. Losing 59-58 means you are competitive. Losing 59-0 means you don't even belong in the same stadium
Upperdeck Critic
quote:
The majority of people who post on Texags are, in all honesty, very stupid individuals. Stupidity and anonymity is a very dangerous combination.
Everyone is a dog on the internet....
texag_89
quote:
An extremely astute observer of A&M football told me a year ago to keep an eye on the progress or lack of of the offensive line as the players get further and further away from the Sherman/Jim Turner tutelage, two men who are passionate and technically sound regarding the line. The current (and veteran) offensive line, thought to be the team's biggest strength entering the season, is one of its biggest weaknesses. Why is that?

You think BZ knows the Big Truth? Sure sounds like what he has been referring to with O-Line technique as of late....

Whatever the reasons, all the issues start up front.
Texam90
AG
I have no problems with the uniforms or any of the flash. That in and of itself does not win or lose games.

The fact that there is 20 arrests is a problem. I was around during the late eighties and there were issues abound - it was not always widely known, but they existed. I don't expect that there will not be issues but there needs to be real consequences if they arise. In today's social media world, everything is out there on display so we have to address the issues.

I have a problem with a lack of effort and anyone looking at the last few games could see it clearly. Ole Miss and MSU do not have better talent than we do. MSU is more experienced, but not more talented. If our offense is not ON from the beginnning we lose against quality opponents. We had more depth than Arky and we managed to survive our sorry 3 quarters of offense.

Our last two opponents took the ball at the toss and did not defer because they know if we get behind our defense can not hold up and our offense does not have the will to win. At some point our defense needs to step up and our offense needs a leader. I haven't seen any of our players on offense act like - we are not going to lose if you follow me. Give me the ball. Our defense is not agressive and we need that. It has been argued that the spread or the air raid makes you soft on defense. I don't see Ole Miss getting blown off the ball or missing multiple tackles on most plays.

BZ may have personal issues with Sumlin, but that does not make his article wrong. He needs an editor (as I do) but he is not wrong. Until we decide #WRTS on the field, we will be middle of the pack. I hope for the sake of A&M that Sumlin figures it out soon.
agforlife97
AG
quote:
You think BZ knows the Big Truth? Sure sounds like what he has been referring to with O-Line technique as of late....

Whatever the reasons, all the issues start up front.

I think criticism of the OL is fair at this point, though there does seem to be an element of Sherman butthurt in BZ's articles. I think it's fairly obvious who his sources are.

Sumlin seems to have made a couple of not so great hires. It's up to him to fix that. The talent in the program is fine at least, and the facilities are top notch, so I firmly believe that the parts are in place to turn this back around pretty soon (1-2 more years).
bevokilla
AG
Can we rehire Jim Turner?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.