Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

New field coming before Ole Miss

20,008 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ProudAg16
GinaLinetti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
uncover&humpit
AG
Here is a link about the sod we will be using.
http://www.cgcfields.com/28-30.pdf
cevans_40
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
So, the grass would have been fine if we did not get the rain the night before the game. Instead of letting it grow for the next month we will spend an extra $300k to put new grass in one week before the Ole Miss game. If the current grass should have been good last week, shouldn't it be good after anot her month of growth?

The problem was the seams. The rain was a compounding issue.

False. The problem was that the sod had not had enough time to establish an adequate root system. It was essentially just laying on top of the sand and was able to come up in large chunks very easily.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Should have sodded with St Augustine hahaha.
lol

Bermuda for sports turf. Don't want the vines tripping people

It was a joke, but it wouldn't have seams. Ha

Where do you get this seem free St. Augustine sod?

I just meant that because it spreads so aggressively with above ground stolons the seams would be stronger than the seams on our current hybrid bermuda.
cevans_40
AG
All they are doing is putting down thicker cut sod and hoping that the weight of the sod itself is enough to keep it in place. It will probably work out just fine but is also probably completely unnecessary. I am almost certain that this was not the idea of Leo and the field crew guys. I may be wrong and will gladly admit if I am.
JustisWalkert
AG
Rain events like the one before the Rice game do not come about unexpectedly. Why not just roll out a tarp when you know it's going to happen an then unroll it either before the game or when the rain stops? I don't see why rolling out an entirely new surface in mid season and then playing on it after a single week trumps leaving the existing field and giving it another three weeks to take root.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So, the grass would have been fine if we did not get the rain the night before the game. Instead of letting it grow for the next month we will spend an extra $300k to put new grass in one week before the Ole Miss game. If the current grass should have been good last week, shouldn't it be good after anot her month of growth?

False. The problem was that the sod had not had enough time to establish an adequate root system. It was essentially just laying on top of the sand and was able to come up in large chunks very easily.

...at the seams. Had the grass had adequate time, the roots would have spread from sod piece to sod piece and would have created an adequate "floating floor", if you will, over the sand. Time is the main issue. Secondarily, the rain exposed the fact that the sod squares had not cleaved to one another by exasperating the negative qualities of sand. If the seams were solid, the rain wouldn't have mattered. If the roots were longer, the sand wouldn't be a problem. That's why I said the rain was a compounding issue rather than the main cause..
AgsMyDude
AG
Classes about growing grass.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
Rain events like the one before the Rice game do not come about unexpectedly. Why not just roll out a tarp when you know it's going to happen an then unroll it either before the game or when the rain stops? I don't see why rolling out an entirely new surface in mid season and then playing on it after a single week trumps leaving the existing field and giving it another three weeks to take root.

I am guessing we didn't have a tarp big enough to cover the entire field. And yes, this is totally unnecessary
JustisWalkert
AG
How about more than one tarp?
cevans_40
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

...at the seams. Had the grass had adequate time, the roots would have spread from sod piece to sod piece and would have created an adequate "floating floor", if you will, over the sand. Time is the main issue. Secondarily, the rain exposed the fact that the sod squares had not cleaved to one another by exasperating the negative qualities of sand. If the seams were solid, the rain wouldn't have mattered. If the roots were longer, the sand wouldn't be a problem. That's why I said the rain was a compounding issue rather than the main cause..

I am not arguing that the rain was not the main problem. The issue was that roots had not established. Roots don't grow from one price of sod to the next on top of the sand. They grow down into the sand. The grass blades themselves grow laterally and interlock on top of the sand closing the seems.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
How about more than one tarp?

From where? Lowes
TexasAggiesWin
S
^

Move to Home Improvement Board
JustisWalkert
AG
Covering baseball fields doesn't seem to be a problem.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
Covering baseball fields doesn't seem to be a problem.

Baseball infield = 10,000 ft^2
Football field = 45,000 ft^2

If only we had 4.5 baseball field tarps laying around
JustisWalkert
AG
Bet we could get 4.5 tarps for less than $300,000
Chickenhawk
quote:
quote:
I love bed sores but he doesn't know dick about grass.
Hey, maybe I'm wrong and if so please inform me with some facts. I've laid grass before. I do know this, laying grass before the Ole Miss game can't be a great idea... not enough time

Laying dudes named "Grass".
cevans_40
AG
Please see above where I believe replacing the playing surface is unnecessary. After the grass is established, a tarp is completely unnecessary. The only reason they are used in baseball, is for the clay or dirt areas. The grass areas have enough subsurface drainage to handle way more than a 4" rain.
Czechs Out 03
AG
Jeremiah, you set um straight!
Chickenhawk
quote:
Please see above where I believe replacing the playing surface is unnecessary. After the grass is established, a tarp is completely unnecessary. The only reason they are used in baseball, is for the clay or dirt areas. The grass areas have enough subsurface drainage to handle way more than a 4" rain.

Serious replies.
cevans_40
AG
quote:

Only my mother calls me that
JustisWalkert
AG
I agree, cevans. Just use tarps when necessary until the grass gets established.
CiboloAg
We're in agreement this is an actual black eye for administration, yeah?
Czechs Out 03
AG
quote:
quote:

Only my mother calls me that

I know.
cevans_40
AG
I am also not 100% sure that the rain hurt anything at all. I have a theory that things actually got too dry and thus the sand was loose. Wet sand is much firmer than dry and sand based sod has about the same tensile strength wether wet or dry. I didn't see much sod tearing, but I did see a lot being pushed up from lateral moves. I would guess that a scheduled irrigation the morning of the game was cancelled due to the rain the night before. May account for why things were worse than the Lamar game.
CrottyKid
AG
The roots absolutely grow from sod to sod. They also grow down.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
The roots absolutely grow from sod to sod. They also grow down.

So the roots grow on top of the sand?
CrottyKid
AG
So all roots grow vertically down? Some roots absolutely grow horizontally or diagonally. You know that.
CrottyKid
AG
This is a dumb argument. We both agree that time is key and that resodding is a waste of time and money.
AggieFactor
AG

Not to say that another month would have gotten the existing turf to work but after watching this company in action, I feel fairly confident in saying that I think we can put the field issues behind us.
cevans_40
AG
I guess its semantics, but yes I know roots don't just grow straight down. May I ask your turf background? Not trying to be a dik
Dr. Turkleton
More info on the new turf: This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 4 quarters on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.
Czechs Out 03
AG
I'll take rhizomes for $200, Alex!
KW02
AG
They will make up some of the costs selling squares of Kyle Field grass again.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
I'll take rhizomes for $200, Alex!

Those would be subsurface, correct?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.