Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Post here if Sumlin was your first choice candidate for HC

15,845 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggnHou
Verne Lundquist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

[/only typing this cause I have to]
ColoAg95
MD1993
AG
I had him as #1 when we hired Sherman.
dtiger44
I'll be honest and say I wanted a defensive minded coach. Didn't realize he could change the culture like this. And while I don't discredit KDS for this, JFF was lightening in a bottle. The two made the perfect storm. Biggest thing is keeping Sumlin now.
whytesox
Why would you even bring that up? Almost none of us wanted him. And we were wrong.

That doesn't mean there is a positive correlation between Strong and Summlin.

[This message has been edited by whytesox (edited 1/30/2014 8:59p).]
Farmers6
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
quote:

+1

He was the first (and only) coach with an offensive coordinator's background that I ever thought would be a great head coach.

#cashinoutmovement
slider676
AG
I did and I also wanted Art Briles when we hired Sherman
AGinHI
AG
Yeah...back when he was OC for Slocum.
stark_ag
AG
A lot of folks on here wanted Strong. Kinda awkward to think about that now.
Edit: for the record, I wasn't a fan of any of the candidates, including Sumlin. I did come around pretty quick after the hire, though. By SEC media days I was a believer.

[This message has been edited by stark_ag (edited 1/30/2014 9:10p).]
KilleenAg
AG
I have no problem eating crow and admitting that I had my doubts about Coach Sumlin and his ability to field a strong team in conference situation bigger than Houston and about how wrong my doubts were. By the second game of last season I was already convinced about how my doubts were dumb.

Sumlin is the greatest thing to happen to our football program in a long time. JFF and the SEC all coming together at the same time became the catalyst for the perfect storm we see today.
taz997
I wanted Strong. Funny how everything turned out.
ConfidentAg
AG
I wanted either strong or smart..
Babe Gock
Is the assumption still that those people, including me, were wrong?

People, recruiting is not winning on the field.

Call me when we finish better than middle of the road in the SEC.

DevilD77
AG
Count me as one who was ticked off when we didn't consider Sumlin before hiring sleepy.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
quote:

+ 2
SapperAg
AG
quote:
Is the assumption still that those people, including me, were wrong?

People, recruiting is not winning on the field.

Call me when we finish better than middle of the road in the SEC.

Oh look, we have an ass here to talk about how much higher his expectations are. Hello, ass.

[This message has been edited by SapperAg (edited 1/30/2014 9:14p).]
murphyag
AG
Yep! Also wanted to hire him instead of Sherman when Sherman was hired.
12thstuntman
Back then, Mark Richt was on the hot seat with Georgia and I was hoping for him to get the axe so we could land him when we got rid of Sherm which I saw coming following the Arkansas travesty that season. But he ended up righting the ship somewhat, kept his job, and I was ok with Sumlin just for the fact he was a great recruiter in the Houston area which is a must for a&m, and he does incredible work with quarterbacks. But I will admit, I didn't forsee the success we had the last couple seasons take hold so soon.
GhostRider76
I wanted Fedora or Strong
Outsider09
I actually did not have a preference for a specific coach. I wanted Chris Petersen, but I knew he probably wouldn't come. Aside from him, I didn't know enough about the other guys we were considering.

When Sumlin was hired, I wasn't upset, I just thought, ok, let's see what this guy can do. Once I watched his press conference, saw him at SEC media days, watched interviews, and saw our recruiting begin to improve, I was completely on board.

I remember I told my dad before the Florida game that he needed to start donating and supporting the football program, because thing were about to change big time. He said "yeah sure, we've all been saying that for 30 years." Now he can't believe how right I was and tells me all the time.

So I won't claim that Sumlin was my first choice, but I definitely climbed on board before we ever played a game in the SEC, so I will take credit for that.
VedderAg
AG
Sumlin was my #1. A bunch of people at the time wanted Fedora because he beat Sumlin in the C-USA championship that year. Glad Byrne (or whoever) made the right call.
Ag for Life
AG
He was my #1
alamoaggie 64
I had not thought of him. I was thinking Kirby Smart. But when they signed him, I was satisfied as I remembered him as a coach and recruiter under RC.
STX Ag
AG
I wanted to hire summy the year after I was born. 1977. I knew it.
dixichkn
AG
quote:
Yeah...back when he was OC for Slocum.

Yeah......me too

Actually I was kinda hoping against hope that we could land Chris Petersen. Was happy to have KDS as an alternate.
FTAggies
wanted muschamp a few years ago.... the sips got him as their DC. Wanted strong...the sips got him too, guess we'll see what happens
pencil
I had him at 1 when we hired Fran. And that ain't no lie.
RAB Ag
AG
#3 wanted him when we hired Sherman.
Remembered him from his half season as OC, his rep as a great recruiter, & living in Houston I could see he was leading that commuter school to higher than it had any reason going
DanTanna86
AG
I

THE BEST College Football Power Rankings..www.DanTanna.com
12thstuntman
I liked the idea of Kirby Smart, but I wanted the offense go in a different direction at the time... so Sumlin fit the bill....
Bottlehead90
AG
He was my #1.
Although I was a little concerned when UofH lost to southern miss in the championship game.
pinche gringo
AG
I hoped we would go after Mike Leach.

I didn't want Sumlin because I did not want anybody who had ever been on R.C.'s staff.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, and it looks like I was wrong about Coach Sumlin.

lifetimeredshirt
AG
I had Fedora, Smart, Strong and Sumlin on the short list. I am in Houston so I was familiar with what Sumlin had done there. He did a great job with marginal talent. It will be interesting to see Sumlin with the elite talent that he is accumulating. Very few coaches get to coach the kind of talent that he is amassing. The trouble is that 4 of them are in the SEC West. The SEC West is becoming an NFL minor league. I can't tell you how many times that I have read that Manziel, Evans and Mathews are 1st round picks bc they excelled against SEC competition. It is hard to argue.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.