Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Protecting Kyle at what cost?

3,409 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 21 yr ago by
Aggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First of all, I was there and for some reason everyone remembers it as only CTs on the field doing clean up duty. There were plenty of CTs there that day but there were just as many Non-Regs helping out. Why is it that no one remembers that part of the story? When the melee was said and done with, Aggies in Maroon t-shirts and Aggies in Khaki uniforms linked arm-in-arm around the field to keep others out.
DrippinAg
S
matador-

Try to picture this:
you, matador, are out in the back yard of your double-wide, and your sister walks out and says, "Honey, the neighbor is walking all over the grass you just planted in front of the trailer, by the plastic pool the sheep are drinking from." You are going to promptly get off of the old couch you have on the porch, and run around the dirt path bare-footed, and defend your 4'x 8' front yard...aren't you? It's yours. You've worked for 20 years as a hairdresser for that trailer. I think you get the point...

The gene pool here in Austin needs a little chlorine! Saw 'Em Off!

[This message has been edited by DrippinAg (edited 10/2/2002 5:47p).]
DrippinAg
S
matadork-
you might feel the urge to run out on Kyle Field and protect your QB, though, for most of the game!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by DrippinAg (edited 10/2/2002 5:38p).]

[This message has been edited by DrippinAg (edited 10/2/2002 5:41p).]
DrippinAg
S
...and beyond that...we will be in too good of a mood to notice you are there anyway!

[This message has been edited by DrippinAg (edited 10/2/2002 5:37p).]

[This message has been edited by DrippinAg (edited 10/2/2002 5:39p).]
pinedog
Not that it will happen. The WC will see to it that the sand fleas don't have the motivation or inclination to storm Kyle, but, if they did anyway.... IGNORE THEM!!

That's the best treatment for Classless Clowns.

The Janitor
Cost? Last time I checked, beating Raider ass on Kyle field was free (excluding cost of ticket for game).

Every Day's a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, and the Upper Classmen treat me like a brother.
TX AG 88
AG
The Corps is not trained nor qualified to be "security" around Kyle Field.

I was there in '95, too, and saw the fight brewing. The Corps was lined up around the field like it was a game of "Red Rover Come Over".

Our field is not a memorial nor is it sacred. I have walked across it after a game, just as I have walked across tu's field after a game. The brawl in '95 was unwarranted. Who says they were going for goalposts in the first place? OU fans started across the field after their win in 2000 just to celebrate with their team - no evil intent, just going from point A to point B.

If someone had gone for a goalpost, then I would recommend a severe beating, but only then. If the Corps had wanted to ring the goalpost in '95 I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But "defending our turf" (literally) was straight out of Compton or West Side Story.

The Corps should be told before our games that they are NOT a security detail.
C-ya @ the Chicken
AG
quote:
Thousands of fellow Aggies have died in battle to protect your freedom and Kyle field is dedicated to them.

WOW. I have really missed something. I'm pretty clear on the MSC, the flags that fly at Kyle, and the oak trees around the drill field. Now I hear that Kyle is actually "Kyle Memorial Field".

Just where could you direct me to read a little more about this dedication?

I always thought it was just because it was our field, by gawd.
Washburne
AG
I agree 100% with TX AG 88.

Oh, and Kyle Field - the stadium, the turf, the goalposts - has never been dedicated as a war memorial. Or so my buddies on Traditions Council told me a couple years back.

[This message has been edited by jared (edited 10/2/2002 5:59p).]
ags2002
DrippinAg, excellent analogy but double wide? Come on, your being a little nice. He would have to deliver pizzas at night to afford that.
C-2ag99
AG
I was also a fish in '95 and here is my post from another thread about why that day meant alot to me. I'm glad to see that not everybody reads into the media's bashing of the Corps on this issue. I think we did what was right, for the most part. NO SABRES WERE DRAWN, so put that rumor to rest. Also, the 55 flags flying around Kyle Field is what makes it a memorial. It doen't have to be "dedicated". The flags kind of make that obvious.

There were only a very small handfull of cadets who were physically fighting. The vast majority of the fish who ran out onto the field did nothing more than what the yell leaders do when a camara man steps onto the field at halftime. Get them off. This doesn't take "beating somebody up".
When we ran onto the field, most of the 'sips (the smart ones, anyway) ran right back off.

Now I can't say that every cadet did nothing classless that day, but I think the overwhelming majority of the cadets where doing only what they are supposed TO DO: KEEPERS OF THE SPIRIT. We don't want any freaking t-sips, raiders, or anybody else on our field.

When I said that I learned what it meant to be an Aggie that day, I was talking about these things.

1) Standing with arms linked with all my other fish buddies all the way around the field. (true to each other as Aggies can be)
2) Singing the Spirit and participating in post-game yell surrounding the field while hundreds of t-sips stood feet in front of us cussing, flipping us off, yelling that we suck and sleep with sheep. I realized that we were a family. I realized that we were there protecting not a football field, but tradition.

"I've seen 'em lose, I've seen 'em win, but I've never seen 'em quit."
ctag76
AG
Professional security personnel should handle it. The CTs and non-regs should not even have to think about doing it.

Note to Kyle Field security personnel: DO YOUR JOB! Please.

"But there’s a spirit can ne’er be told ...
It’s the spirit of Aggieland."
The Janitor
CT's beating up opposing fans that rush Kyle Field is ...Old Army.

Every Day's a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, and the Upper Classmen treat me like a brother.
kjb'91
Anyone bothered by the fact that Matador found a girl and actually reproduced? He sounds like he could not be more than fourteen.
Ags-R-Better
I hope after we beat the ever living crap out of those techies that they try to do somthing. I would love to take em down. Im only 10 rows from the action...BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!
oldoldag
If Tech does win.. aggies should watch what happens and they really get mad as to what caused them to lose.. then address that!!!!
Aggietom
I'll watch the post-game melee from the 3rd deck in the Zone.

walterjohnson
If you think losing the bonfire is painful...then line the corps up around the field and put them in a position they never should be put in and watch "army" go the way that the bonfire did. Institutional liability post-1995 is way too high for any intelligent person to put that organization in harms way.

I was at kyle field in 1995 and, while most of the melee occurred at the other end of the field I did proceed onto the field when two yell leaders jumped a UT cheerleade (male) from behind in an attempt to wrest a Longhorn flag from his grasp. The two yell leaders waited until Mike Adams returned the flag to the cheerleader before they jumped him. I walked on the field to assist the Horn cheerleader and just about the time I arrived on the scene...so did an armed security officer who jumped the yell leaders sh*t pretty good for the incident and basically told 'em to get the hell away from the guy. Neither of the two yell leaders was physically imposing...nor was any of the approximately 50 CTs who were milling around. I was wearing an orange shirt and not one person asked me to leave the field...of course I was a head taller and about 50 pounds heavier, at about 225, than any of the CTs I saw...and I wasn't drunk...and I wasn't unaware of the situation. Hardened target.

The CTs aren't licensed peace officers, not licensed for crowd control, and aren't employees of the university. The administration that put them in the position of acting as such in 1995 were liable as hell and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that more than one lawsuit was filed post-1995 incident. The university is on notice and it would be a significant screw up to put those weeners in harms way...the tech fans won't be going on the field unaware of the potential for conflict (can you say attractive nuisance?) and there won't be any women in the group. It will not be a nice incident and many of the CTs could end up with injuries that the university will be liable for and injuries that their parents will more than likely hold the university responsible for...and then there will be the lawsuits from the tech fans.

It is nice to talk tough on the internet...but it'd be really a stupid move to get involved in anything having to do with the tech fans.

If they want to break rules...let the cops haul their butts to jail...but stay above it.

[This message has been edited by walterjohnson (edited 10/2/2002 10:53p).]
aggie93
AG
walter,

The Corps has never had any official capacity to act as security on Kyle. Any actions that occurred in '95 or any other year were based solely on what those people reacted to at that time of their own choice.

BTW,I don't think you would have much of a lawsuit to say that someone kicked your ass on the opposing teams field after you ignored continued warnings not to go there and likely weren't acting innocent (oh, I know, you and every other tsip were completely rational and it was all those crazy CT's. Sure.) The only potential case would be that A&M was liable for not stopping you more quickly from breaking the law, kind of like a burglar that injures themselves while breaking into your house. I don't think you could convince 12 people of that though.

I was there in '95 and there was no doubt that a large number of tsips were going for the goalposts. There was a sizable group that moved very quickly straight for them and were cut off before they got there. Many a sip would have loved to be able to claim that they took down the goalposts on Kyle, kind of like the chicken sh$# that stole Reveille during Christmas break (that took real guts to break into a guy's parents house while school was out).

If for whatever reason I felt compelled to run onto DKR this year after the Ags beat the hell outta tu this year I would have no problem with a bunch of sips coming to kick my ass. If I was that stupid I deserve what I got, I have been close to railing on 3 different occasions when A&M beat tu in DKR and the thought of running on the field never occurred to me. Opposing fans should never go on another team's field and there are few circumstances that the home fans should go on their own field either. Quit trying to defend your own idiocy and that of your tsip bretheren.
BrandonHorn
Where to begin, where to begin…

quote:
It is really simple. You are at another school, and they have asked you to stay off the field. How hard is that?

I realize your own school ALSO asks you to stay off the field, and you ignore them...but just have a little respect when you are at someone else's place.

The problem is with why many Ags(including ones on this forum) believe that the field should be protected and who should be doing the protecting.

A)I have no problem with the request or the administrations right to enforce it with the proper authorities. The Corp is just a very large ROTC. They have no law enforcement training much less authority. Every Ag student on that field in ’95 was trespassing just as much as the Longhorns. And some assaulted UT students. They should have been arrested along with any Horns who did vacate when asked to by law enforcement.

B. Many Aggies have a delusional belief that their field is more sacred than any other field. And that by defending it they are not only helping the admin. keep the field nice but defending the honor of the fallen. Never mind that there are countless other sporting venues that are war memorials. In fact in some ways Kyle is less a memorial than others. As stated by others only the flags are actually a memorial, and it only honors fallen aggies.

I will not argue that the visitors should be allowed on the field, just the reason for keeping them off and who’s responsibility it is.

You can also can the “we are always respectful of others house” crap too. I seem to remembers ags vandalizing the turf(before we went back to grass) a few years back pre-game. And along with that kind of crap you guys have some sanctioned crap that is pretty disrespectful as well:

1. unique to UT there is t-sip, tu, horns down
2. Marching your pseudo military through town like a conquering army and then preceding hold yell at the most prominent place you can find in someone else’s town.
3. Holding Yell in someone else’s stadium. There home, not where you should be holding your pep rally.

That last one by the way is part of the reason there was a problem last year at Tech. Now before you guys crap your pants I in no way condone what they did. But if you hadn’t hung around to do your yells it wouldn’t have happened. Newsflash: people don’t like you having a pep rally in their stadium. Tech fans aren’t the only ones who feel this way they are just the only ones trashy enough to attack you for it.
BrandonHorn
quote:
kind of like the chicken sh$# that stole Reveille during Christmas break

Attacking when someones guard is down is a intelligent tactic.

Happened to us when Bevo got branded, happened to this clown when he had to much turkey. Get over it.
aggie93
AG
Brandon,

Our problem in '95 wasn't that we didn't have proper authorities there. Our problem was thinking that the tsips would have either half a brain or the basic respect of not having several hundred of themselves rush onto Kyle. Our security detachment simply wasn't big enough then for the game, a problem we have since corrected. It has been repeated several times that the Corps was not acting in an official capacity but that isn't the point, the point was if they didn't get involved the goalposts at Kyle would have gone down and there is no telling what the hundreds of tsips on the field might have done to desecrate it. They acted of their own accord. If 500 Aggies stormed DKR on T+1 they would overwhelm the security as well, I suppose it wouldn't bother you to see us tear down your goalposts and desecrate your field. I am certain that you would be furious at the thousands of tsips that would come out of the stands to stop those Aggies from doing so. Whatever.

Holding a brief Yell Practice on an opponents field after a loss is usually met with respect and not fury. This is also a tradition at some other schools. It simply shows we support our team still after a loss. Most opponents don't feel the desire to do personal injury to fans of a team that they have just beaten on the field. The melee at Tech had nothing to do with Yell Practice anyway. The Ags still there were simply watching in awe as Tech quickly pulled down their goalposts in a game they were favored in. It is also hardly uncommon for people to stay in the stands after a game to wait for the crowds to die off. My parents (both of which are in their mid 60's) were still in the stadium that day for that exact reason, they don't like to get caught in the big and rowdy crowds filing out immediately upon the end of the game.

Every time Bevo was stolen he was on University property. It was also always done before there was a law passed against it considering theft of mascots to be a crime.

Go back to hornfans and get a life.
MemorialHorn@Home
At the horshoe end, there was a lot of chasing, wrestling, etc. - what you guys referred to as "defending kyle field." At the other end of the field was basically a giant cocktail party for the UT football team and fans. Fans and players were all over the field, carrying flags, etc. It was pretty funny to watch the ct's trying their hardest to keep UT fans off the field when the other end was flooded.
BrandonHorn
>> nothing cogent added to this discussion by me <<

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 10/3/2002 1:45a).]
BrandonHorn
By the way I don't read Hornfans

>>Perhaps you should. www.hornfans.com <<

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 10/3/2002 1:46a).]
aggie93
AG
The Corps of Cadets is invited by the City of Austin to have a march in, lots of locals like parades. The march in occurs early in the morning anyway and almost always is without incident. I live in Austin and I like it, there are over 1 million people in the Austin area and the overwhelming majority of them didn't attend tu.

BTW, it may surprise you to know that A&M has just as much right to hold a rally on the Capital steps as Texas does. It is the State capital for crying out loud, not on your campus.

Arresting people for rushing the field on either side is fine with me. That still doesn't change what happened in '95 though when there were too many tsips rushing the field for security to stop them. The Aggies on the field simply were reacting to the situation that was imposed on them by fans of tu. We have since learned that anytime a school with thousands of classless fans with no manners that may choose to ignore the law is coming to Kyle that we need to hire extra security.

No matter how you slice it, there is no excuse for Tech fans shoving a goalpost into a group of opposing fans. It doesn't matter if they hung around for 15 minutes after the game or not. I don't like it when I leave DKR to chants of "Aggies suck" or being called a "sheep f$%$##%" but that doesn't give me any right other than to express my right of free speech back (my usual response is "Wow, thanks for reminding me why I didn't go to Texas!" or simply laughing at what idiots those people are making out of themselves). Trying to say that "The Tech fans were wrong, but the Aggie fans...." makes you look foolish.

If you don't wish to go to hornfans then go to the "Football Other" board then or one of the non football boards. Your presence here is annoying.
WaltonWontLoad03
Let's get the win and not worry about it.
davfren
Branded horn: As a history exercise, go to the Archives of the Daily Texan for 1968,69,70 and read about the tu student episodes of rampaging, drugged, barbaric hords vandalizing "the" university and state property while our military was in combat. There is simply no possibility of that occurring at our school because of the kinds of young people A&M attracts. Hence, the need for added vigilance against those who think of our university as "just another public institution" or our memorial as "just a another football field...". Frankly, I just pitty you for your unfortunate affiliation and the kinds of people your place attracts. The worst part is that you probably will never even know what it means to hold intense, never-ending values regardless of what any nihilist mob (Rice's or tu's)may think.
Texas97
this point is moot. why would tech charge the field if they lose??? why are you preparing for a loss???

as for the incident in 1995, first, kyle field is not a memorial. Texas Memorial Stadium is and that didn't prevent aggies from cutting the horns off in 1992. there are plaques along the north side of Memorial Stadium with the names of students from the SWC schools who lost their lives in WWI and WWII. including a&m. check it out sometime. that said, there are punks at both a&m and Texas. remember how immature you were at 18-22??? there are alot of things that i did that i regret.

second, i was a junior in 1995 and watched it on tv. we had not won since 1990 and although we were higher ranked, we still had that stigma that a&m was just better b/c back then a&m had all the talent and was sending players left and right to the draft. when we won for the 1st time in 5 years, when we won for the 1st time in college station since 1983, our fans and students wanted to celebrate. i have alot of friends who were at the game (back then both a&m and Texas gave each school more tickets to that game than today) and only a few saw violence. most was shoving. but most of my friends went on the other side of the corps and joined the team. they have some nice pics from that early evening too. but they were not trying to tear down the goalposts, just wanted to celebrate.

third, i have been to every Texas/Texas A&M game at Memorial Stadium since 1994 and to the 1999 and 2001 Texas/Texas A&M games. the reason why you didn't see the Texas fans try to rush the field in 2001 after the win wasn't because of extra security or the corps, it was because unlike in 1995, beating a&m wasn't as big as it was in 1995. in 1995 we hadn't won in 5 years. in 2001, the win was our 2nd straight and our 5th in the last 7. don't get me wrong, beating a&m is always big especially considering that we are huge rivals but it wasn't as big as in 1995.

Texas97
letters at random
There is nothing wrong with a little fisticuffs if another team tries to rush Kyle field. We need to quit castrating boys in our society by telling them how bad it is to be boys.

Tech wants to get on the field, then it will be on. If the horns want to get on the field, then it will be on. Period.

It's said up front. It's in the open. You don't want to get the crap beat out of you, don't get on the field. Pretty simple.
el matador
Most of you are more than welcome to visit Texas Tech University whenever you like. As for Drippin, Janitor, ags2002, etc., we repectfully request that you honor our wishs by not setting foot on our campus (the entire thing) ever again. Be aware that if you decide to ignore our request, we reserve the right to beat the ever-lovin' crap out you at our discretion. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

[This message has been edited by el matador (edited 10/3/2002 9:25a).]
bknetag
S
I didn't bother to read every post but....there is a very simple solution...Aggies roll ttu...sand gnats go home crying...end of story
cecil77
AG
Texas97 - It's called a "Shift" key.

Learn it. Love it. Use it.
Vanilla Warrior
We could always call in the Hells Angels for security..wait, oops, never mind.

Capn97
I agree with previous post. Albeit the Corps was there no sabers were drawn and non-regs were on the field as well. I wish we had the Corps block back then. I was on the second deck and could not get down there fast enough. But if the Ags take care of business on Sat. then we will not have to deal with the issue. I will standby the Corps to help protect Kyle Field.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.