New Landcruiser vs Lexus GX 550

14,856 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by El Chupacabra
LRHF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey there auto folks, need some help!

I drive a 2003 F-250 as a daily driver. I live in Durango, CO and work as a fly fishing guide. In the winters, I ski almost daily… year round I spend A lot of time off-road or in the snow. I would like to keep the F-250 for towing and get something better for towing my small drift boat and get better mileage and cheaper fuel (gas vs diesel).

Thinking about either a new Toyota LandCruiser or Lexus GX 550. Both seem to have some impressive HP/ torque numbers and would be amazing for driving in the high country (San Juan Mtns).

I'm just starting my search but know I'm definitely out of my element (I keep cars 20 Yrs and don't follow the latest and greatest).

You folks have any recommendations, comments or alternatives?

TIA for some help!

LRHF

TexAg2001
AG
I'm kind of in the same boat being torn between the 2 of them. I like the looks of the Landcruiser more, but I assume the GX will be much more comfortable. I've noticed a huge difference in comfort between Lexus and Toyota products, even in higher trim models. I've owned 4Runner (2), Tundra, Highlander and currently drive a GX. The GX is much more comfortable than any Toyota I've had. Smoother suspension, very little cabin noise, nicer feeling interior finishes, better tech (for a Toyota product), etc.

Either way, I'll likely wait and get one a year or 2 after the first release so they can work out any kinks.
Bigballin
AG
Same predicament but I'm leaning more toward the GX due to it not having the hybrid system.

However, will be curious to see the MPG figures on the Prado (having a hard time calling it a Land Cruiser) when they're released.
Jack Cheese
AG
LRHF said:

Hey there auto folks, need some help!

I drive a 2003 F-250 as a daily driver. I live in Durango, CO and work as a fly fishing guide. In the winters, I ski almost daily… year round I spend A lot of time off-road or in the snow. I would like to keep the F-250 for towing and get something better for towing my small drift boat and get better mileage and cheaper fuel (gas vs diesel).

Thinking about either a new Toyota LandCruiser or Lexus GX 550. Both seem to have some impressive HP/ torque numbers and would be amazing for driving in the high country (San Juan Mtns).

I'm just starting my search but know I'm definitely out of my element (I keep cars 20 Yrs and don't follow the latest and greatest).

You folks have any recommendations, comments or alternatives?

TIA for some help!

LRHF

I have no opinion on the question you asked, just here to express my profound jealousy at everything else you typed.
agnerd
AG
You mean NEW BODY STYLE on the landcruiser, right? They stopped making new landcruisers. You can only buy the lexus now new.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Didn't realize they're making a new one.
jh0400
AG
The new LC is a hybrid. From a performance specs standpoint the Jeep GC 4xe has better numbers and the benefit of a 25 mile electric range.
aggiepaintrain
AG
If I could pick between the 2 I would get the Lexus, the twin turbo V6 from the Tundra is a bad mfer.
chumpy
AG
Hey LFRH…been a while, hope you and Mrs LFRH are doing well. Was happy to see y'all make it back up to the San Juan area. I too have been looking into the new LC and GX with a bit longer purchase window. For the way you roll it may be worth researching the Ineos Grenadier also. Saw a couple up in the Broken Bow area last month and they seem to be super capable.
mrmill3218
AG
Does anyone know when the Land Cruiser comes out? I've heard Spring of 24 but that's coming up quickly and there doesn't seem to be an official date.
Streetfighter 02
AG
The only thing I can find confirmed is that the youtube car review guy coverage of these two vehicles is basically unwatchable.

The GX looks pretty awesome in the Overtrail + trim but that's probably a $75k-$85k vehicle.

Also - LHRF, I got your number from Centerpole90. Left a message on your cell. Thanks.
'03ag
Toyota has been doing hybrids for decades at this point, and they're using an older(more proven) battery technology in the Land Cruiser. I wouldn't consider this a reliability problem in comparison with the GX. And if you're outdoors a lot the 2400 watt inverter with hybrid battery might come in handy. Just something to think about.

Of course for the money you could also get a lightly used LX570 with a bulletproof V8 and know that you'll get 20 years out of it.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
The GX is baller. The LC is understated, IMO. I would choose the LC, but that is an extremely biased opinion. I think I've finally reached a point in my life where I'm not so impressed by every new bell and whistle. Everything I want in a vehicle is most likely in the lower to mid-level trims.
NoahAg
So much humble brag...

-Durango
-guide
-skis daily
-has a boat
-buying a Land Cruiser

I'll just finish my workday and look forward to the hour commute to the 'burbs.
LRHF
AG
NoahAg said:

So much humble brag...

-Durango
-guide
-skis daily
-has a boat
-buying a Land Cruiser

I'll just finish my workday and look forward to the hour commute to the 'burbs.

One day NoahAg, one day…. I put my time in before getting to the point where I can Work a minimum wage job
NoahAg
I'm actually happy for you. Livin the dream.
I am in the market for a new (used) suv or truck. The size of a pending bonus will determine just how used.
chris1515
AG
I've got my eye on the LC.
The GX looks very nice.
But I like the idea of a hybrid and better fuel economy, I also like the AWD.
And I think I'm leaning towards the LC with the cloth seats. I kind of like that more basic option. Actually wish that model had a rubber floor mat.

Both are very cool options that I suspect will hold their values insanely well.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
chris1515 said:

I also like the AWD.

GX is AWD
Centerpole90
AG
NoahAg said:

So much humble brag...
From someone who has stood in a creek with LRHF and watched him work his but off to help me outsmart a trout, had dinner at his dining table, and parked my Land Cruiser in his driveway...

You don't even know how jealous to be. He's got that CO vibe down and enjoys sharing it with fellow Ags! If you are ever in the area, treat yourselves to a day in a creek with him!

I look forward to your selection Amigo!

LRHF
AG
As i read more, the GX 6 cyclinder engine will require premium fuel. I think this is the same engine they put in Tundras. Is premium gas really required for these engines? What happens if you run the lower octane gas?
drumboy
AG
LRHF said:

As i read more, the GX 6 cyclinder engine will require premium fuel. I think this is the same engine they put in Tundras. Is premium gas really required for these engines? What happens if you run the lower octane gas?

Probably same sticker that magically requires premium in the LX 5.7 but not in the LandCruiser/Tundra 5.7.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
tk for tu juan
Lower octane gas would require some extreme right foot discipline to prevent the turbos from building enough boost to cause damaging pre-ignition detonation
MAROON
AG
LRHF said:

seems like the GX only comes with a V8

[url=https://www.lexus.com/models/GX?link[model_overlay_infolayer][SHOW_PAGE]=true&link[model_infolayer][setActiveTab]=1]https://www.lexus.com/models/GX?link[model_overlay_infolayer][SHOW_PAGE]=true&link[model_infolayer][setActiveTab]=1[/url]
LRHF
AG
MAROON said:

LRHF said:

seems like the GX only comes with a V8

[url=https://www.lexus.com/models/GX?link[model_overlay_infolayer][SHOW_PAGE]=true&link[model_infolayer][setActiveTab]=1]https://www.lexus.com/models/GX?link[model_overlay_infolayer][SHOW_PAGE]=true&link[model_infolayer][setActiveTab]=1[/url]

The 2024 Lexus GX 550 is only a turbocharged 6 cylinder
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
LRHF said:

That's how the GX460 is now too. Calls for premium in the 1UR-FE engine it uses, but the Tundra (which it shared an engine with before the Tundra moved to the current engine) did not. Those were tuned differently for sure as they had different power ratings. I'm sure if you googled/YouTubed a bit you'd find an explanation either for or against the difference in fuel demand in that previous engine generation of the vehicles that may apply to this new gen too.
TheDro
Get a Ineos Grenadier, anything else would look dumb in Colorado.
LRHF
AG
TheDro said:

The Grenadier is definitely cool! Wouldn't mind buying one in about 10 years (used) to be a dedicated off-road 4x4 for the San Juan's!
AustinCountyAg
TheDro said:

I've never heard of these but after a quick google search, dammmnnn those look cool.
TikkaShooter
Great thread here.

For curiosity, what other vehicles would you place in this FS road/BLM road/back county road capable that you can also daily drive.

So not technical crawling/climbing, but outlanding for fishing/hunting
'03ag
New? Used? Truck/no truck?
TikkaShooter
Not truck. Has to be able to daily a car seat. So needs a second row

New list and used list? Maybe top 5 of each.
'03ag
I mean really any SUV with a true low range transfer case will do. Required? No but I'd rather have it than not.

Toyota/Lexus really dominate this space, but don't discount the Grand Cherokee. Then you have the Land Rover Defender.

It's hard to find a better used value than a GX460.
mrmill3218
AG
They are also currently pretty much giving away the current soon-to-be older model of the GX (460). Crazy how low those prices have gotten.
TikkaShooter
Used 4Runners fit the bill here? Wondering what Gen/engine to look at.
LRHF
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Would definitely work. I don't like the interior layout but they are definitely good off-road and snow. Would like better gas mileage and appreciate that they don't require premium gas.

Sounds like they are putting out a new generation in a year.
'03ag
TikkaShooter said:

The biggest problem with the 4Runner is that the GX460 exists. I understand the 4Runner is better looking but that's really it and it's not worth it to me

GX has the V8. Nicer inside, most of them have cooled seats. Tons of them out there with KDSS. About as much aftermarket support out there if you need it.

If it was between those two for me I'd take whatever I was going to spend on a 4Runner and spend that on the best GX I could find instead.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.