The Publican

21,229 Views | 286 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Canyon99
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked this bad boy up last night/morning

And the reasoning behind the name

So this morning I gave it a quick wash to really see the condition the body was in, it's fairly straight considering how old it is. Added a few personal touches including but not limited to, RACETRUCK'S old HU and Plasti-Dipped bowtie.

Picked it up so I can have a cheap beater for now but later on I can have something I can play with. First off I'm just going to make it comfortable to drive so I'm just going to clean up the interior by painting all the faded pieces, covering the seat with a serape, and then I have some new Kicker 4x6 speakers laying around I can install along with one of my old 12" Kicker SVT subs, all I'll need is an amp and wiring.

Later on I'll probably do a 3/3 drop on it, and maybe some staggered 15's so I can stuff a 275/60-15 in the back. If the motor or transmission ever craps out on me I'll likely just do a 350 swap (do as I say, not as I do) to keep it simple/cheap and have it back on the road quickly.

At first I had planned on using this truck as practice for painting before I do RACETRUCK but I'm starting to admire the lovely brown spots on the body. If I do paint it I'll use a single stage non-metallic shade of grey that matches close to the current color.

[This message has been edited by silverado_lover (edited 6/15/2013 2:55p).]
IntensivePurposes
AG
LS9 swap or GTFO
Centerpole90
AG
Numbero Dos.
Centerpole90
AG
Oh..

Bags or GTFO
Silvy
AG
I'd like to make it the stereotypical 80's/90's S10 hotrod if it gets a V8 so rake, 5 spoke wheels, and skinnies/fat meats.
Silvy
AG
Started to get a grinding/clicking noise from behind the cab, hoping it's just a u-joint.

Freaking shame I don't have a floor jack here in Galveston, scissor jacks suck lol
sts7049
AG
looks like it fits right in galveston
Silvy
AG
That's what my buddy said, your everyday Galveston beach bum vehicle lol
CEPhD
AG
Ladies of Galvezton: look out and cling tightly to your underpants.
Silvy
AG
They will be flaunting their bosoms and desire my attention.
555-PINF
quote:
I'd like to make it the stereotypical 80's/90's S10 hotrod if it gets a V8 so rake, 5 spoke wheels, and skinnies/fat meats.

I f'n *heart* you, man.
Silvy
AG
Much props brah
BigRobSA
That is a fine specimen. Not much rot/rust. Easy to find parts. Easy to slam, rake, and make into No,Really,RaceTruck!!!!!

If you paint it, it needs a big eagle on the back and " 'Merica! " on a banner over it, in red/white/blue.

KY AG
AG
Murrika!
Silvy
AG
I've had one friend propose a rattle can Stars and Stripes paintjob.

Like you say it can easily be transformed into RACETRUCK DEUCE but at first I wouldn't do much motor work, get a L31 (5.7 Vortec) block, good lopey cam, intake, and carb. No machine work if it's not needed.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Ahh.... looks like my old 86 S-10 blazer....

Mine didn't have quite the rust, but that definitely looks the part of Galveston. Shouldn't have to worry about someone stealing that car!

~egon
HeadGames
AG
quote:
Shouldn't have to worry about someone stealing that car

These are a big deal in Mexico. So these older little trucks still get stolen.

[This message has been edited by HeadGames (edited 6/17/2013 8:49a).]
Silvy
AG
In that case I'm glad I don't live in Baytown anymore
Silvy
AG
In that case I'm glad I don't live in Baytown anymore
ABATTBQ11
AG
I miss that truck already...
Silvy
AG
It's in allsome hands IMO

First time pulling a driveshaft and it only took 15 min or so
ABATTBQ11
Silvy
AG
Moar low is a good thing

The carrier bearing looked completely trashed, but it was a cheap part I just need to find a way to get it off if O'Reillys doesn't have a bigger puller.
Silvy
AG
Much easier to remove driveshaft than install it.

But blaring Metallica when driving it just feels so right
The Fife
quote:
I've had one friend propose a rattle can Stars and Stripes paintjob.

Like you say it can easily be transformed into RACETRUCK DEUCE but at first I wouldn't do much motor work, get a L31 (5.7 Vortec) block, good lopey cam, intake, and carb. No machine work if it's not needed.

It needs more virgin marys. Like at least two or three somewhere.
Silvy
AG
So today it was asked at lunch why I bought in the first place and why I don't drive RACETRUCK. I picked it up as a cheap beater and I don't drive RACETRUCK because I'm afraid I'll get in trouble with it, not only does it make me hoon but it also has illegal items such as tint which could possibly get me pulled over and I'm just trying to lay low for a bit as to not get myself in further trouble.

Well I've been DD'ing my dad's Camry and I hated having it, not only is it boring as hell but I just don't like having my dad's backup car.

The other day I heard it start knocking above 3k so I kept it under 3k and started to head for the nearest O'Reillys. Doing 70 MPH up an incline on 146 the fugger shut down completely, I eased on the shoulder, slipped it in neutral, and did a rolling restart since I was damn close to the O'Reillys. It started up and I limped to my destination, it was about a quart low so I filled it up to get me home and I parked it. Yesterday I went ahead and just changed the oil/filter in it and it still made the knock but it ran smoother.

Today in my infinite wisdom, I decided to take it to the grocery store. I was 100 yards from the grocery store at a light and it started knocking like crazy, pulled in, did my shopping, and limped it home not giving a **** since it sounds as if I spun a cam bearing and the sh*ts dickered.

The night progressively got worse from there when a normal 15 min errand turned into damn near 2 hours running around. I walk out of the garage and one of the straps on my Tiddies snapped. Can't catch a fu**ing break.

So that's why I bought the 'Publican and it was one hell of a way to break the news to my parents that I picked up a beater as I was planning to return the Camry within a few weeks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
quote:
I don't drive RACETRUCK because I'm afraid I'll get in trouble with it,

This is exactly why I parked a mint Mercury marauder and drove a 25 year old 148 hp diesel mercedes.
sts7049
AG
Wussies
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Says the guy that bought a regular Mazda 3, but not a speed3....
sts7049
AG
wife can't drive a stick
BigRobSA
quote:
Moar low is a good thing

This is going to be you, soon:

Needs more low!</silvy>

Silvy
AG
Drewmeister
AG
So it's the Camry with the engine crapping out? My first impression was that your 2.8 S-10 was crapping out right after you bought it, which would royally suck.
Silvy
AG
Yep the Camry, if it were the S10 I wouldn't even mind. I'd go ahead and swap in a very mild 350.

I could find a TBI 350 and 700r4 paired for around $700-800. Intake, carb, valve springs, pushrods, and lopey cam/lifter kit.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Do you mean a 350 with a 700r4?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.