Tyler traffic

6,010 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AGC
Post removed:
by user
Physical Graffiti
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haha.

That's one thing I don't miss about Tyler. It takes 30 minutes to drive 5 miles in that town.
Stive
AG
We moved to Tyler from Allen/Plano area 5 years ago. I remember when we got here people would gripe about the traffic ("yeah, it's a great town to live in but the traffic...."....blah blah), and my wife and I would look at them like they had 3 heads (we'd both been driving Central Expwy in Dallas for 10 years).

Now I get it.....it's one of the most impossible "small" towns to get around in. None of the parking lots are connected and when they put in the concrete dividers/medians on the primary arteries they created a freaking mess. And yes I get why they did it.....doesn't take away from the fact that it's a mess.

I don't envy the city planners trying to make 30 and 40 year decisions on roads and traffic flow here. There's not much room for any non-interupted freeways near or inside the loop and if our only free flowing Hwy is 49.....?

Yuck....
Post removed:
by user
gigemhilo
AG
The inner loop will eventually need to be free flow - it is a freaking joke to drive that thing during busy hours. we avoid it when in town. I hate to see how they will make that happen though.

and the speed limits are a little ridiculous on the north side where there is no traffic. I got pulled over there last weekend. The limit was 50 - I couldnt believe it. there was NOTHING there.. lol
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
Can't wait till winter weather... Gonna be a ton of idiots out
cledus6150
AG
ehh traffic wasn't bad at all this morning.
EastTexAg09
Yall must not know how to get around the traffic. I never have issues avoiding traffic when I'm back in town. The main roads (the loop, troup hwy, broadway, old bullard, ect.) are the bad, but there are ways to avoid the worst parts
Post removed:
by user
gigemhilo
AG
that ones easy - 271 north all the way to the hospitals - cut over to old bullard, take old bullard to the mall.

multiple cut-overs - but i prefer just taking the 155 over to the street passed Broadway and taking that down to old bullard, or just taking the old troup highway cut across the the bergfield shopping center and getting on old bullard from there.
Post removed:
by user
EastTexAg09
The worst part of Broadway is between Carmike and the mall. It's easy to avoid that area. All of my family lives on the southwest side of town, so it's easy for me to take Old Jacksonville to Broadway (avoiding the worst part), Broadway to Gentry, Gentry to Beckham/271. But if you want to avoid Broadway all together you can take Chilton or S College to 5th, and 5th to Beckham.
Stive
AG
See....for someone that's lived here a long time all of that makes sense. But for someone that has just moved here in the last year or two, the fact that you have to walk them through routes like that is pretty telling.

In all honesty the loop isn't THAT bad as long as your destinationis on the same side of the street that you're on. If you have to u-turn at any point, that's where the suck starts.

The Broadway stretch mentioned above is ridiculous for the majority of the day and I avoid it like the plague....especially between Mid-November and early January each year.
tx.agg.96
AG
My inlaws are just outside the loop near gorman. FIL says he only uses right turns to get around town. Seriously.
Stive
AG
Your FIL works for UPS. Good stuff.

Dro07
AG
quote:
My inlaws are just outside the loop near gorman. FIL says he only uses right turns to get around town. Seriously.
Sounds like a square
Josepi
AG
I live inside the loop on the SE side, and had a kids Soccer practice at Jack Elementary at 5:30. I left the house at 5:10, and made the mistake of going Broadway to Grande, Grande to Old Jacksonville, and Old Jacksonville to Jack. It's 7 miles and took me over 40 minutes.

Next time, I thought about it some, and took Paluxy to 49 (toll rd) to Old Jacksonville. That's about 10 miles, but only took me 15 minutes.

Typically I can take Copeland or Paluxy parallel to Broadway, and just cut over to Broadway when I need to. Saves a ton of time.
tx.agg.96
AG
quote:
Typically I can take Copeland or Paluxy parallel to Broadway, and just cut over to Broadway when I need to. Saves a ton of time.
ive sat through 3 lights on copeland going south across the loop at 5:10pm before. its better now since both lanes can go straight but if it wasnt for kids practice i wouldnt go outside the loop during the week
Physical Graffiti
AG
jickyjack1
quote:

Right turns only is a good strategy, when practical; I have been doing that for years now and find myself doing it more as the years pass. Turning against traffic, especially on the streets named, and I'd add Front, can be a caution.

On the good side, the migas plate at Mi Mexico Lindo is, for the dough, quite tasty and generoso. Don't be looking for an elegant dining experience, though; you're going to be scarfing it up with muchachos de trabajo.
TylerAg98
AG

Where is this Mi Mexico Lindo you speak of so eloquently????
Dro07
AG
if i remember correctly its in a gas station on the east side of the loop by my barrio
jickyjack1
There are two of them. The first is inside the loop on 271 (Old Dixie Hwy.) in an old Dairy Queen building next to a motel and the second is on the east loop just a little south of the Henderson highway, at one end of a convenience store building. That little spur from HH to the loop runs beside it.

Again, you are going for the food (good) and the price (quite reasonable); not the dcor or ambience. They are reasonably clean and one does best by arriving before or after peak times because of parking.
aggieforester05
AG
This is why I don't understand the love for Tyler. I absolutely hate driving in that town. The traffic Judge is a grade A ******* there as well.
Dro07
AG
anything is better than longview
Bodhi
Bodhi
Post removed:
by user
aggieforester05
AG
quote:
anything is better than longview
Longview definitely has its downfalls, but being able to go anywhere in town in 10 minutes is really nice. No way would I want to deal with Tyler traffic everyday. I also tell everyone I know to stay the hell away from bloody 31. It seems like there is at least one traffic fatality on that road a week.
irish pete ag06
AG
Going through/around Tyler was the worst part of my drive to A&M.
irish pete ag06
AG
That and the 2 lane stretch of 79 perpetually stuck behind a Walmart truck.
jickyjack1
I used to HATE the stretch between Palestine and Buffalo ... seemed like there was always a Slumberger (sp?)convoy dawdling along up front. Not occasionally but each and ever time.
pantherag
AG
Tyler traffic can get ugly at certain times of the day. You have to know all cut throughs. We need bridges and overpasses, but that will never happen.
East.Tx.ZTA.Ag
Anyone wanna give me the quickest route from Bullard to the hospitals in Tyler?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.