West Texas
Sponsored by

Favorite Restaurants in Midland

55,121 Views | 263 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
brownbrick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you guys haven't been to Jana 615 you need to go.

Incredible food and service in a nice home at a great price in Odessa. Took my wife for mothers day and she loved it.

The desserts are incredible.
Houston Summit
AG
Midland Aggie, are your initials SR? I've been trying to figure out who might be on here that knows who I am
aggie09whoop
Red Curry at Thai House was great. Thanks for the suggestion DadsanAG.
DadsanAG
Can't get enough of the stuff. Eat there about once a week.
Ogre09
AG
El Banquete
Gerardos
Martinez Bakery
Wall St
KD's BBQ
Romie's
Mr_mo8268
AG
^ El Banquete's Mexican plate is the best Mexican food in America. Their Tampico plate is great as well
aggie09whoop
I liked Casa Lopez's Chorizo Tacos. They're off of W Illinois and Midland Dr.
andrabeth
AG
I drive past casa Lopez everyday. It is always busy. Glad to see the rec... I will try it soon
mslags97
AG
Basin Burger in Midland is my new favorite. They have dinner specials on week nights. The shrimp and grits on Thursday nights are incredible!
aggie09whoop
Harvest Caffe (yes, two F's) - their burgers are delicious! I've heard their breakfast is the best though.
andrabeth
AG
Harvest is great. A wonderful Saturday morning spot. There are comfy sofas and chairs in the back with a fireplace...one of my favorite places in Winter.

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
A chain that we have ignored since they left town a decade ago was Cheddars (in Midland, now a Saltgrass), but we came out of the Odessa mall movie theater starving and there they were (in Odessa now).

The Odessa Cheddars at the Mall has the best chicken fried chicken anywhere in the basin that I have tried and there is enough food for 2 meals. It is exactly like what I remember growing up or if I wanted to cook it myself.
LoneStarBQ
AG
The BEST burgers, burritos, chicken strips, steak fingers and breakfast burritos are at El Burrito in Midland.

LoneStarBQ
Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89
Midland, TX
Mr_mo8268
AG
^ El Burrito's breakfast burrito might be the best in America. Also, their migas are the negs I have ever had. Great food, no matter what you order.
aggie09whoop
T&T Donuts off of Midkiff and Illinois has really good hot link croissain'wiches. they don't last long on the weekdays, so i get them saturday mornings.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
T&T's Ham and Cheese croissants are also a wonderful guilty pleasure type of food.
I haven't had one in years.
Great ... now I am hungry.
andrabeth
AG
On Friday night a fellow Ag brought me "get well" Chicken and Waffles (only 5.89) from Taste of Chicago. First time to have C&W. It was good and different. I have heard good things about Taste of Chicago.

Also last week I went with an Aggie Friends to Greater Ideal Baptist Church's Family Life center for lunch. ONLY $5!!! Good food! Only about 8 things on the menu: Examples: Burgers, grilled or fried chicken sandwiches, frito pie. Nice and low key. They do take out and call in. Very nice people.

You can also go to Midland College's cafeteria for about $6 for a variety of foods. A coworker's hubby (also an Ag) brings her food from here often. Looks and smells good.

If you have not had Eddie's Catfish you are missing out.
JD05AG
AG
quote:
Basin Burger in Midland is my new favorite. They have dinner specials on week nights. The shrimp and grits on Thursday nights are incredible!

Tried it last night and it is delicious. Best burger I've had in some time.
Predmid
AG
Friends had a really terrible experience there a few weeks ago. Basin Burger server could not get the tickets right, screwed up the orders, and a variety of other problems. Manager blamed them and claimed they were lying about what we ordered and the tickets being wrong. Accused one lady of stealing.

fta09
AG
I just started working here a few weeks ago and I'm temporarily living out of a hotel, so I've been using this thread as a guide for places to go. Finally ate at Palio's the other day and it was great. I couldn't find it on google maps since I assume it's pretty new. It's in the shopping center to the north of the loop just as you exit for Midkiff, so you need to exit on Garfield and drive down the frontage road.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned, but we had lunch today at Manuel's on 349 south of I-20. Pretty good salsa (that it looks like they sell, too) and food.

[This message has been edited by fta09 (edited 11/26/2013 2:02p).]
Mr_mo8268
AG
^ go for breakfast, it's incredible.
pinche gringo
AG
For those who say I never contribute anything of substance or value to TexAgs:

I used to service 20+ counties in far west Texas for the USDA.
Here are MY favorite non-chain places to eat - or at least places I never got sick from eating at - (in no particular order) from Midland/Odessa west...

MIDLAND:
La Mission
Petrolium Club
El Burrito
Wall Street
The Bar
Cancun Grill
Garlic Press
Dos Compadres
Kuo's
Martinez Bakery
Bob's Better Burger (for a cheap, greasy, delicious burger)

ODESSA:
Mi Piaci
Whitehouse Mkt
Zucchi's
Jersey Girl Pizza
Delicias

FORT STOCKTON:
Tacos OJ
Mi Casita
Rix BBQ - (Catfish and Pork Chops are local favorites, plus BBQ in Midland/Odessa is terrible!)

MONAHANS:
J's Pizza & Burgers
Spotlight Cafe
Great Wall Chinese Buffet

COYANOSA:
Alma's

CRANE:
My Friends Grill (especially Thursdays)
Garcia's

KERMIT:
Don Burrito - awesome tacos!!!

PECOS:
Quick Stop (about 30 different kinds of breakfast burritos to choose from, all are excellent - get there early before the oilfield cleans them out)
Alfredo's (ok Mex food, nothing special)

VAN HORN:
Lizy's
VH Cattle Co.
El Capitan
Chuy's (food is nothing special, but interesting place)

ALPINE:
Reata
La Casita
Alicia's

BALMORHEA:
Cueva de Oso

FT. DAVIS:
Cueva de Leon

SANDERSON:
Dairy King

MARFA:
Food Shark

PRESIDIO:
N/A - used to eat in Ojinaga

TERLINGUA:
La Kiva

FABENS:
CATTLEMAN'S STEAKHOUSE!!!

BIG SPRING:
Rocky's
Big John's Feedlot (was better when Big John was around)
Cajun place on I-20 west of US-87
Hunan Chinese Buffet

STANTON:
N/A - go to Midland

ANDREWS:
Cassidy's Deli
Buddy's

If I didn't list your town it's because the food there sucks.

[This message has been edited by pinche gringo (edited 12/11/2013 5:58p).]
pinche gringo
AG

[This message has been edited by pinche gringo (edited 12/11/2013 5:53p).]
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Thanks pg, that will help if I ever get to venture west of Odessa for anything.
TxAg20
AG
I've had a few landmen tell me the Drug Store in Stanton makes a good burger.

What are you comparing Midland's Bar-b-q (KD's) that it sucks?

I consider myself a little bit of a bar-b-q connoisseur, and I think KD's is pretty decent bar-b-q. The brisket can be inconsistent, and can even vary throughout the day depending on the meat cutter, but I would say it's one of the better (~top 15) bar-b-q places I've eaten. I don't know how many bar-b-q places I've eaten in Texas, but I've eaten many within a 90 mile radius of Austin. Anything between Houston and Midland along I-10, quite a few in the DFW area and the few places between Llano and Midland.
pinche gringo
AG
I stand corrected about the Drug Store in Stanton. You are correct, my friend, they do serve damn good burgers there. I can't believe I forgot about that place!

I will always maintain the best barbeque is found in Central Texas, in places like Junction, Llano, Lockhart, Luling, Austin, Giddings, even San Antonio.

West Texas has a lot of really great things to offer, but consistently good barbeque is not one of them. B/CS bbq is better than most found in west Texas.

GarlandAg2012
AG
Be that as it may, KD's is perfectly fine BBQ if you ask me. A little pricey but hey that's why the world has vendors, right?
TxAg20
AG
I will agree that the greatest concentration of consistently good bar-b-q is in the hill country. The only good bar-b-q place I know of in Midland or Odessa is KD's, but IMO it's way better than Black's (Lockhart), better than Cooper's (Llano)and Opie's (Spicewood), and better than quite a few well regarded bar-b-q joints in the hill country.

I think anyone that likes bar-b-q and is looking for suggestions to eat in Midland, should try KD's.
LoneStarBQ
AG
If you like Thai food. Try King & I. Two locations in Midland

LoneStarBQ
Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89
Midland, TX
opstx
AG
Ought to add in Balmorhea:

Balmorhea Grocery Store

Takeout only.
Breakfast tacos only.

Best I've EVER had.

Get there early, oilfield guys clean them out by 9:30 or so.

Worth checking out.
opstx
AG
and in Saragosa (just north of I10 and Balmorhea)

Where Friends Meet Friends

aka

Farmer's Cafe.

Good solid breakfasts, nothing fancy.; Eggs, sausages, migas, and so on. Big plates.

Although a Reeves County oilpatch staple now, they always seem to have a table for me and never seem to be 'sold out'.

Check them out.
aggie09whoop
Odessa Donut for Vietnamese pho. Tastes pretty good for West Texas.
Lungblood
Jumburrito is damn good
sports
Stripes @ 5am. end thread
andrabeth
AG

I can Seriously get real PHO in Odessa! You might have made my week. Any details to location and times? Which type did you get? Pho is one thing I get everytime I travel somewhere, that and oysters!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.