Houston
Sponsored by

Goodbye, old friend...

17,250 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by P.H. Dexippus
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

I know Kays wasn't slammed 6 nights a week but it boggles my mind the cash flow on an owned piece of property can't justify the one time profit the developer is gonna see on 6 townhouses right there.

I know the owners wanted to cash out so I guess its just taking the million(s) they got offered and taking off to the Hill Country.

Strange comment coming from the tine board's official Houston bar and restaurant scene insider guy. Figured you would know the owners have other interests in town, and already have said they may reopen Kay's elsewhere.

I have no idea of their finances, but the place was uncomfortably dead the last couple times I stopped by. Not, "cool i have the pool table to myself" slow, but "wondering if I'm annoying the servers" slow. Overhead costs don't go away with the crowd. It's a tough business, and they've kept Kay's open a lot longer than I really expected, given the surroundings. It's another sucky sign of the d-bag times we live in, but I don't know how anybody could blame the owners for taking a good offer. It's a business, not a charity devoted to nostalgia.

I can think of a few other healthy businesses that closed when property taxes and other costs outpaced the real value of the business. Anyone remember JMH grocery?

I really liked Kay's, but the last few times I went the music was ridiculously loud. Yelling at the person sitting next to you loud. I went with groups of six or so and we couldn't communicate at all. I think we ended up at Volcano so we could enjoy some conversation.
Post removed:
by user
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Revisited this thread, saw I missed responding to 3rdcoast.
http://www.har.com/u/CD1Aa99A
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Coog97
Hard to believe we said goodbye to the dirty ol' girl this weekend, seven years ago… still miss my home away from home.
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
scd88
AG
One of my favorite Houston hang out places.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Quote:

Strange comment coming from the tine board's official Houston bar and restaurant scene insider guy. Figured you would know the owners have other interests in town, and already have said they may reopen Kay's elsewhere.

Liquid Wrench was full of **** as usual; Duane and Marshall don't have any other bars in Houston now.
TXAG 05
AG
Would give anything to go have some beers at Kay's, same for Alice's Tall Texan. So many of the great bars are gone.
Chewy
AG
Ironically enough saw this on the Twitter Machine. Mario and Marshall hauling out a piece of Houston lore.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Would give anything to go have some beers at Kay's, same for Alice's Tall Texan. So many of the great bars are gone.
Saw an article about the guy who reopened the Tall Texan; he took down all the old decor to start fresh :/
Haven't been by yet to see how that's working.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Heard Mario was working at the Marquis at some point, but haven't seen him in a long time now.
Chewy
AG
The new Tall Texan isn't close to the old one. Went once and the vibe was gone so haven't been back.

Mario is slinging drinks and pizzas at Keneally's. Been there for a couple of years now.
TXAG 05
AG
Microwave Onions said:

TXAG 05 said:

Saw an article about the guy who reopened the Tall Texan; he took down all the old decor to start fresh :/
Haven't been by yet to see how that's working.

Do not go to the new Tall Texan. It will just piss you off.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm just pissed I didn't buy that 200 acres outside of College Station for $1.2MM

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.