Houston
Sponsored by

Goodbye, old friend...

17,303 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by P.H. Dexippus
BillYeoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
They'll get Kenneally's one of these days, I fear.

The Ale House...RIP

I hope not. Big fan of Kenneally's. Ale House was haunted apparently.
Upstairs!

The Ale House was a wonderful place.

Upstairs at the Ale House was haunted. I knew a straight laced guy that saw some stuff there. He swears by it this day. Former house of ill repute.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I hate this thread. I just looked up Ernie's on Banks and it's gone too.

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
This thread exposed the old people
Liquid Wrench
quote:
I know Kays wasn't slammed 6 nights a week but it boggles my mind the cash flow on an owned piece of property can't justify the one time profit the developer is gonna see on 6 townhouses right there.

I know the owners wanted to cash out so I guess its just taking the million(s) they got offered and taking off to the Hill Country.

Strange comment coming from the tine board's official Houston bar and restaurant scene insider guy. Figured you would know the owners have other interests in town, and already have said they may reopen Kay's elsewhere.

I have no idea of their finances, but the place was uncomfortably dead the last couple times I stopped by. Not, "cool i have the pool table to myself" slow, but "wondering if I'm annoying the servers" slow. Overhead costs don't go away with the crowd. It's a tough business, and they've kept Kay's open a lot longer than I really expected, given the surroundings. It's another sucky sign of the d-bag times we live in, but I don't know how anybody could blame the owners for taking a good offer. It's a business, not a charity devoted to nostalgia.

I can think of a few other healthy businesses that closed when property taxes and other costs outpaced the real value of the business. Anyone remember JMH grocery?
CheeseSndwch
So what's the over/under on incidents of arson at the construction site?
Coog97
Saw that 13 had Pooja doing a liveshot from the bar Tuesday evening.

Her standup was well-framed...
jetch17
Chewy
AG
You took my post wrong. It wasn't a slam on the owners at all. It's about that townhomes are apparently more valuable than an established business from an economic standpoint.

I know Kays wasn't always slammed but obviously the basic economics say that a developer of townhomes finds the property more valuable than an established bar that I assumed had positive cash flow.

It's the owners place and they have every right to do what they're doing but I'm just more surprised the offer they got is for townhomes and not something else or someone taking over the bar.

I know there's talks of opening Kays elsewhere but there's no way in hell to replicate it. Kay's Lounge is that building and that building alone. It can't be replicated anywhere else.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
....I have no idea of their finances, but the place was uncomfortably dead the last couple times I stopped by. Not, "cool i have the pool table to myself" slow, but "wondering if I'm annoying the servers" slow. Overhead costs don't go away with the crowd.....
It's been probably 7-8 years since I've even been to Kay's, but when I was there pretty often in the 2001-2007 time frame it wasn't terribly uncommon to see this.

We could never really pin it down, but there would always be random night where there'd only be a dozen or so people there - and not at 8pm, but at 10:30-11:00pm.

There were times when we'd refill our own bucket because Jerry (doorman) and Alicia (bartender) were listening to or telling a story with the rest of our group and didn't want to stop.
cypress-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
They'll get Kenneally's one of these days, I fear.

The Ale House...RIP

I hope not. Big fan of Kenneally's. Ale House was haunted apparently.
Upstairs!

The Ale House was a wonderful place.
Damn. That made me sad. Was on my rotation back in late 80's early 90's. Miss that place.
BohunkAg
BohunkAg
AG
Coog97
Until we meet again...
cone
AG
i wonder how much that went for
Coog97
They didn't sell it.
Boo Weekley
The Roll N was probably my favorite bar in Houston. Just something about it. F-ing millenials.
cone
AG
so they burned it?
IrishTxAggie
AG
It'll be in a bar in Fredricksburg eventually. The owners wanted to "retire" out towards there and open up another place.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
The Roll N was probably my favorite bar in Houston. Just something about it. F-ing millenials.
The Roll N closed too????
ChipFTAC01
AG
The RollN closed in like 2009.

The sign is still behind the Lone Star saloon downtown.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, Joe Lee moved completely out of that San Fillipy center a long time ago.
Fall92
AG
Sucks. Mario and Marshall were kind enough to give my wife and me the two green bankers lamps from the bar. Very nice gesture.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
brotheraggie
Change really sucks at time.
Diggity
AG
who wants to live on top of the old Kay's?

2332 BISSONNET ST

The Wonderer
AG
****, that was quick.
cr0wbar
AG
you guys also cry about your pog collection that you can't find anymore?
The Wonderer
AG
cr0wbar said:

You seriously comparing Kay's to pogs? One was around for 75+ years and the other was a fad for ~2 years. That's not an apples and oranges comparison, that's and an apples and monkeys comparison.
Diggity
AG
my pogs are vacuum sealed and stored in my safety deposit box thank you very much.

One day, I expect them to replace bitcoin as our preferred currency.
Coog97
Wonder if they'll mind me doing a bunch of Mexican Chicken shots, then puking in their driveway
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Diggity said:

2332 BISSONNET ST

Sheesh. $350/sqft for a vertical McMansion?
Liquid Wrench
cr0wbar said:

What a random ******** comment. Aren't you the guy who posts about "parrot head" parties? Sorry we're not cool and edgy enough to play dress up with septuagenarians and instead talk about memories of real places we grew up around.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
blindey said:

Diggity said:

2332 BISSONNET ST

Sheesh. $350/sqft for a vertical McMansion?
I just want to point out that for that same price point, you could own a pretty sweet house on 200 acres 30 minutes from College Station.

But by all means, buy the shoe box.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

But by all means, buy the shoe box.
This quote really sums up those properties nicely. They look like Urban Living decided that everything they toss up in the loop looks like chintzy Chinese sheet rock boxes that no one over 30 would ever buy so they decided to break into the local Toll Brothers office, steal some blueprints, and upgrade to Laotian sheet rock.
Diggity
AG
Beautiful land. Different target market.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Diggity said:

Beautiful land. Different target market.
who is the target market for $1.3 million shoeboxes on bissonet? Chinamen with more money than sense?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.