Houston
Sponsored by

So I return to Freebirds for the first time in a few months...

13,327 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jdrexgman
Catch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Shredded cheese or queso?

Shredded or both. Never just queso.
AgCPA95
AG
The private equity guys have definitely shown their impact of cost squeezing cost out of the system. The tortillas do remind me now of taco bell and maybe that is because of the steamer being removed? They also seem to be even more stingy on any toppings and things just don't taste that fresh. I visited Uburrito recently and I will be hard pressed to choose Freebirds over them any longer.
AGeng25
AG
Catch is a master at defending his opinion. I think he must follow the old school persuasive essay format like the schools used to make us do while taking the TAAS/TACKS/whatever the heck it is now test. I can't help but nod my head in agreement after I read his post even if I disagreed with his initial opinion. Well done, sir.

As for Freebirds, didn't they use to offer chicken in the form of dark meat or white meat? If this was indeed the case, I appreciate their efforts to distinguish between the two. Dark and white meat chicken are not created equal.
aTm2004
AG
Freebirds sucks now. Mission Burrito or whatever gay thing they're calling themselves now is a lot better.
Ezra Brooks
AG
The steamer on the torillas is the key - every time I go there my damn burrito falls apart on my...didn't happen when they steamed them first.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
As for Freebirds, didn't they use to offer chicken in the form of dark meat or white meat?
Yes they did. There are a lot of those small changes that just make it not what it used to be. Lots of places go through this. They do one thing and do that well. Burritos. Then they start doing things related to that one thing but it's harder to do lots of things great. It just isn't the same place.

As for the workers, hiring the pierced punk in a small college town isn't a bad thing. The talent pool is drawn from all over and getting into A&M and moving to that town weeds out a lot of people. Then, there isn't a lot of employment options and you probably end up with a good employee who just happens to be some kid trying to figure out some personal identity. But using that same hiring scheme across multiple major metropolitan areas is a good way to staff a company with people too dumb to figure out why they can't get a job anywhere else.
mm98
AG
quote:
The steamer on the torillas is the key - every time I go there my damn burrito falls apart on my...didn't happen when they steamed them first.

A big part of that is also switching to the dimpled foil instead of the quilted. The quilted is much stronger and you can press in a lot more to make a strong roll.

We experimented with that about a dozen times back in my day and the result was always the same. The dimpled foil sucks but it is way cheaper.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:
They're rude, dirty, stupid, and annoying. The last time we went it was overall just a horrible experience and again I blame the loser staff they hire. It was sad.
I went to the one off of Kirby near the Med Center because my mother was at MD Anderson. While ordering my burrito, the hipster loser with 15 ear rings asked if I had any kids. "Yah, why?" Because you look like a typical suburban Dad. "Ok." It's not an insult, you look like that guy from that TV show. "I've never seen it." He has a really boring life. (turns to coworker) Doesn't he look like that guy? Why do you look so unhappy? "Can I just have my burrito?"

I will never eat there again. My mother is on her death bed and a stranger feels the need to let me know I look unhappy.

The gutter punk employees are why I don't go to Freebirds often anymore. I don't know how a low-grade fast food chain can have such a selective personnel policy, but they pull it off.
BBRex
AG
The Freebird experience varies widely by location.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
To be fair, I've never really had a bad experience at Freebirds. It's upper tier fast food.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
MichaelJ
AG
I went to the Freebirds on Taylor for my first freebirds in probably over a year...

Mission Burrito...err...Ubberito...is still my fave.
Farmer1906
AG
The dirty looking hipsters in the Woodlands, Willowbrook, & Tomball ones have always been awesome. I'm talking consistently good service even during peak times.
yeahtoast
AG
You people are actually debating service and quality of food at a fast-food burrito place?

You don't eat there because you want good service and good food, you eat there because you're fat animals that want to smelt the porcelain of your toilet with liquid hot magma dumps afterwards, and you like it.

Mission Burrito > Freebirds >> Bullritos >>> pounding 18 beers and ordering Taco Cabana's burrito ultimo > eating the dirt from under minute maid park stadium >>> Chipotle
Jdrexgman
AG
quote:
Mission Burrito > Freebirds >> Bullritos >>> pounding 18 beers and ordering Taco Cabana's burrito ultimo > eating the dirt from under minute maid park stadium >>> Chipotle
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.