Houston
Sponsored by

So I return to Freebirds for the first time in a few months...

13,030 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jdrexgman
Gator90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
COKE PRODUCT? Are you serious? Nothing goes better with a burrito than a tasty, ice cold, MT DEW!
Who's with me?
jetch17
AG
Freebirds licks.

ARTISAN BURRITO DEBATE!
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Go to taco bell
DustysLineup
AG
They were so much better before they sold out and chained, hiring employees who are just pawns in the system.

I only eat tortillas from the Original Ninfa's on Navigation, which I'm pretty sure is owned by an old Mexican woman and not some corporate investment group that owns a different chain as well.
Al Bula
AG
I cannot remember the last freebirds i had. i have graduated to grown up food.
Catch
AG
quote:
I cannot remember the last freebirds i had. i have graduated to grown up food.

Please define grown up food....
Al Bula
AG
quote:
I only eat tortillas from the Original Ninfa's on Navigation, which I'm pretty sure is owned by an old Mexican woman and not some corporate investment group that owns a different chain as well.
http://legacyrestaurants.com/

UndergroundAg
quote:
quote:
http://legacyrestaurants.com/

ROR.....I knew this was coming! !
mm98
AG
It's funny. Back in my day I had to answer hundreds of comment cards to pissed off customers as to why we (freebirds) had Pepsi instead of coke. Can't please them all I guess.
Catch
AG
quote:
It's funny. Back in my day I had to answer hundreds of comment cards to pissed off customers as to why we (freebirds) had Pepsi instead of coke. Can't please them all I guess.

Jesus man! You actually answered those?
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Love Freebirds
LostInLA07
AG
Tried them again last week. They've gotten much worse. Tortilla was cardboard. Meat was dry. No pink lemonade. I've been a freebirds fan but not anymore. I miss the good burritos from college.
DustysLineup
AG
Catch
AG
quote:
Tried them again last week. They've gotten much worse. Tortilla was cardboard. Meat was dry. No pink lemonade. I've been a freebirds fan but not anymore. I miss the good burritos from college.

The problem with the tortillas is that they now toss them on the griddle to heat them vs. back in the day when they used steamers to heat them. I definitely preferred the steamed method. Though I also went last week for the first time in a while and was perfectly happy with mine. Still beats chipotle and bullritos IMHO.
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:

Jesus man! You actually answered those?

Had to. Every damn one that wasn't an obvious joke

And yes the switch from the steamers to the clam shell press was my least favorite change of the new regime.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Do you remember some of the funnier ones?
Jules_Winnfield
edit (did not want to derail the thread)

after i inhale a monster there is no room for liquid
Ag_07
AG
Freebirds sucks ass now. Honestly, their whole cute ploy of hiring hippies, losers, and overall ner-do-wells has bit them in the ass.

They're rude, dirty, stupid, and annoying. The last time we went it was overall just a horrible experience and again I blame the loser staff they hire. It was sad.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I think it just depends on the location. I've had some that were really good and some that sucked.
schmellba99
AG
If they got rid of the steamers for the tortillas, then eff them in the neck.

It's been a while since I had a Freebirds - last one was the one in Sugarland. It was exactly what I was looking for when I walked in the door. In fact, my only disappointment was that the good looking chick with huge cans who always seemed to wear low cut t-shirts was not there.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bullritos carnitas
Texaggie7nine
Ask them to fart steam them. The guy with the nose gauge is really good at that.
7nine
strohag
AG
Uberrito (old Mission Burrito) blows Freebirds and the other chains out of the water. Every ingredient just tastes much better. Chipotle doesn't have enough choices and Freebirds has definitely changed too much and isn't near as good as it was 10 years ago.
MAS444
AG
Is it possible that they were never that amazing to begin with (and when we all had them in college it was the best thing ever cause we didn't know any better)? It's just a freakin burrito.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Is it possible that they were never that amazing to begin with (and when we all had them in college it was the best thing ever cause we didn't know any better)? It's just a freakin burrito.

And we're off folks!!!
Mustang1
AG
In fairness there were a lot less dining options 15 years ago in B-CS.
MAS444
AG
Or 25 years ago, as the case may be....
onceaggie
AG
Bullritos is good
Catch
AG
quote:
There are a lot of possibilities as to peoples change in taste. But in many cases as you kinda reference, yeah, I believe nostalgia has a lot to do with a lot of peoples belief that they suck now since in my case specifically, my burrito order taste as good to me as it did the first time I ordered it. Then again, if I took a bite from one in the mid 90's vs one now would I notice a difference? I probably would and the old version would likely win out. But my typical burrito is very basic. Wheat tortilla, rice, cheese, re-fried beans, white chicken and mild sauce w/ extra rice & cheese. So the only thing that has changed with my order is the tortilla prep and the way they cook the chicken, which are both probably pretty negligible in taste difference. Honestly, so long as the rice and sauce have not changed, I'll always prefer Freebirds, because those are my two favorite portions.

As far as everything else, I'm sure many other ingredients have gone downhill, as well as preparation methods. Even in the late 90's old school employees were complaining about the steak meat going downhill after changing vendors. That was still long before it was bought-out. So I can only assume the steak has degenerated quite a good bit since then to cut cost and increase profits. But I rarely had the steak, so I can't tell. But it seems to always have been one of the biggest complaints.

I would also assume the BBQ sauce has changed since I seriously doubt they still mix it at the restaurant and that a Freebird specific recipe was created for mass production. Though this is only assumption. Maybe MM98 would know more about this.

And then there is always the other possibility that your tastes have just changed over the years. I know there are some things I used to love eating that I won't touch ow and vice versa. Whatever the case may be, I'm still a fan.
Texaggie7nine
Rice, meat, lettuce and cheese... that's all a good burrito needs.

Oh and some hot sauce.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:
I would also assume the BBQ sauce has changed since I seriously doubt they still mix it at the restaurant and that a Freebird specific recipe was created for mass production. Though this is only assumption. Maybe MM98 would know more about this.

After the sale, the change in BBQ sauce was immediately noticeable. After several poor experiences I finally basically stopped eating there. It's worked it's way back into my couple of times a year rotation. Quality seems to be basically back where it was before, if the experience just seems...different. BBQ sauce seems to be back like it was pre-sale.
Catch
AG
quote:
Rice, meat, lettuce and cheese... that's all a good burrito needs.

Oh and some hot sauce.
Lettuce? No Way!

Nothing cold or healthy belongs on a burrito....
Texaggie7nine
Shredded cheese or queso?
7nine
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
They're rude, dirty, stupid, and annoying. The last time we went it was overall just a horrible experience and again I blame the loser staff they hire. It was sad.
I went to the one off of Kirby near the Med Center because my mother was at MD Anderson. While ordering my burrito, the hipster loser with 15 ear rings asked if I had any kids. "Yah, why?" Because you look like a typical suburban Dad. "Ok." It's not an insult, you look like that guy from that TV show. "I've never seen it." He has a really boring life. (turns to coworker) Doesn't he look like that guy? Why do you look so unhappy? "Can I just have my burrito?"

I will never eat there again. My mother is on her death bed and a stranger feels the need to let me know I look unhappy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.