Houston
Sponsored by

Live Crawfish

17,081 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wrinkledink
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished up the boil about an hour ago and had a lot left over even though we had about 13 or 14 people eating. Great size and great flavor. I would definitely go back to H-E-B in the future. 1st boil was a success!

We peeled the tails that were left over to make some gumbo for dinner tomorrow
agmatt06
AG
Did you preorder the crawfish from HEB?

I'm probably going to need 100+ lbs and want to make sure I don't have issues getting them?

CFTXAG10
AG
quote:
Did you preorder the crawfish from HEB?

I'm probably going to need 100+ lbs and want to make sure I don't have issues getting them?

No I just went up there around 8am w/ some coffee in hand and picked up two sacks. If you want 100+ you need to take someone with you because they have a two sack limit and the sacks average 30 pounds.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
HEB crawfish suck. Lots of deads
CFTXAG10
AG
quote:
HEB crawfish suck. Lots of deads
I didn't have any that I am aware of. They stayed alive from the time I picked them up until I boiled them at around 4:30 or 5pm. Weather helped too, stayed cloudy all day with no rain.
JFrench
AG
Unless I'm blind the Fiesta mentioned was $1.59. It might just be this particular location. A lot of things tend to be more economical in this area.
Post removed:
by user
Goodest Poster
AG
quote:
Unless I'm blind the Fiesta mentioned was $1.59. It might just be this particular location. A lot of things tend to be more economical in this area.
Not surprising, they buy a peeler blend which has a ton of small ones. It is economical.

Hey Ferriss- you can bag up your dead and take your receipt back to HEB for credit.
dahouse
AG
Is there anyone in town who will break a sack? I just want to do 10lbs or so. It's just me and the Rib so she doesn't eat them.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
dahouse
AG
NM, found it.
Poot
Jftx04

Got a question, since you are obviously plugged into the HEB crawfish supply chain.

I've noticed that the sacks available to me are green and purple. The sacks boiled on the front porch are red. I noticed that 3 years ago and 2 years ago requested a "red" sack. Got told no way by the seafood clerks. Saw it again last weekend as they rolled red sacks to the front. There must be a difference....and I bet that difference is the price they pay for the live sacks for sale to the public vs the sold as boiled....different quality.

Just a question, .....as I have for some years bought from the same place ...(.Zydeclaws) as I know I am buying the same supply they cook from. Prolly the same story buying from Blue Water......good size, less dead....

But, in short, is HEB selling live the same quality they selled boiled....cuz I have my doubts.
n_touch
BlueWater sells the same crawfish that they use in the restaurant. I am picking some up today.

Edit: Picked up 25 lbs today. Very nice size and not many dead ones.
stridulent
AG
Where is a good place on the NW side to grab some live? I have a boil this weekend and will need about 80 lbs. I live in the Copperfield area (south of 290, west of 6).
wrinkledink
AG
I'm planning a boil for May 2nd and live by the Galleria area. Heard of Boyd's in Texas City but would prefer a closer place. I know the San Felipe HEB has crawfish but I want the best I can get without breaking the wallet :P

Any recommendations?
Post removed:
by user
n_touch
quote:
Where is a good place on the NW side to grab some live? I have a boil this weekend and will need about 80 lbs. I live in the Copperfield area (south of 290, west of 6).
BlueWater Seafood on 1960/290. 281-894-9221. Got some from the on Sat and they were great.
wrinkledink
AG
quote:
it might be far, but boyds just sent out their weekly text. $1.33 lb until thursday. get em thursday and keep em on ice.
Yea, it looks like that's a good option. Hopefully they have a sale next week. Thx
Goodest Poster
AG
Poot, sorry for delay.
Yes, the red sax are washed large. You cant order those from HEB as they only sell field run to the public. They are significantly more expensive, but you can order them from me if you would like...although i dont recommend it.
I did some deliveries for several Ags recently, talked them all out of the jumbos and I think they were happy for it.
As the year goes on, average field run size gets larger, but the price of graded large doesnt necessarily come down. This time of year, field run is plenty adequate.
Goodest Poster
AG
Per Wrinkleds post....a Public Service Announcment.
Crawfish currently are very hearty. They can EASILY last a day or two if taken care of if youre trying to score a bargain.
Poot
quote:
Poot, sorry for delay.
Yes, the red sax are washed large. You cant order those from HEB as they only sell field run to the public. They are significantly more expensive, but you can order them from me if you would like...although i dont recommend it.
I did some deliveries for several Ags recently, talked them all out of the jumbos and I think they were happy for it.
As the year goes on, average field run size gets larger, but the price of graded large doesnt necessarily come down. This time of year, field run is plenty adequate.
Thank you, sir. Confirms my hypothesis.

I'll still buy from my go-to roadside shack. ....and it is always field run...and excellent. I long ago quit ordering "select"....learned my lesson.

FWIW, My first boil is always Master's Sunday......I understand the quality issue you describe based on the season ...my best boils are in May....and have had some outstanding festivals on Fathers's Day.

Appreciate the response my man.
agmatt06
AG
Jftx04 definitely hooked me up last weekend with some great crawfish. Dude knew his stuff.
wrinkledink
AG
quote:
Per Wrinkleds post....a Public Service Announcment.
Crawfish currently are very hearty. They can EASILY last a day or two if taken care of if youre trying to score a bargain.

Jftx04, how can I contact you? I can't PM and would rather buy from an Ag.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.