Houston
Sponsored by

Live Crawfish

17,065 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by wrinkledink
The Catfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone got a read on live crawfish prices? Looking to do my first boil of the year this weekend and hoping this recent weather hasn't jacked things up. Also if you have a good spot to buy, please post.

I usually buy from Dup's Cajun Warehouse in Humble, but I haven't gotten a call back from them. Not even sure if they're still in business or not (their message machine has a message from 2013 on it).
Olive Bomb
I am also curious about this. I am looking for a sack or two for Thursday. Never bought crawfish besides the weekend, so I'm not sure how much of a PITA this is going to be.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I have never bought from this place, but heard them advertising on the 610am fishing show. They seem like good ole boys that do their own crawfishing.

Boyd's One Stop
The Catfish
AG
Got a call back from Dups...they were $3.35 cash price last weekend. Should have their prices for this weekend by tomorrow.

Olive-- try bluewater seafood. I bought from them on a Friday before. I think they just sell out of their allotment for restaurant. You will probably pay a premium versus waiting for the weekend though.
hurricanejake02
AG
got pricing of $3.75/lb from Boyd's this weekend, but ended up buying at $3.25/lb from Maxwell's in Crosby

both were worried that their prices would be going up on Saturday (when I was doing my boil) due to weather limiting the catch that morning.
The Catfish
AG
quote:
got pricing of $3.75/lb from Boyd's this weekend, but ended up buying at $3.25/lb from Maxwell's in Crosby

both were worried that their prices would be going up on Saturday (when I was doing my boil) due to weather limiting the catch that morning.

Is that Maxwell's Smokehouse in Crosby?
hurricanejake02
AG
Yes, they run crawfish under a different name now (Red Swamp Crawfish, maybe?), but it's the same place.
Post removed:
by user
The Catfish
AG
Anyone ever bought from Boyd's before? Seems like a pretty good price based on the time of year and weather we've had. Just curious what the quality is like there..

Edit: By quality I don't necessarily mean size...mainly are they purged and alive/fresh?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BMX Bandit
Purging myth lives on
Texaggie7nine
Whats the myth?

Is there no way to decrease the amount of poo in them before cooking?
7nine
The Catfish
AG
There is no myth. Purging works.

However, purging at your house in the traditional water/salt mixture is probably not going to do much. Commercial purging in clean water for 24-48 hours does help clean the crawfish and remove some grit/grime from their intestines. Grew up around crawfish farms and the 'purging is a myth' is the only myth out there on purging.
BMX Bandit
that salt water somehow cleanses their bowels.

Wash them off in plain water. mostly helps to clean their exterior, but has some small effect on their interior as well. Salt is unecessary.
Post removed:
by user
Goodest Poster
AG
Guys, If you haven't already done it and you don't mind driving to Texas City- register for text alerts at Boyds One Stop. Understand these deals are usually one day deals and will RARELY see it on a weekend. If you're headed to Galveston, its a great place to swing by and pick up whatever size you want.

We are selling in Houston for 2.65 today. The crawfish are still too weak to put through the machines, so field run is the only option we are providing. Hoping to start grading next week.

As for purging... A lot of folks will claim they "purge" but they're dunking them in water- completely ineffective. To clean them, there is a very specific method and its more akin to water jetting. This method is a glorified crawfish colonoscopy.

As for the salt trick- the salt trick is going to force them to regurgitate what's undigested...and begin death. If you add salt, you'd better have plans to cook them soon.

The yellow gunk people try to get rid of is actually a fat like substance (full of flavor) from the hepatopancreas. Aside from unhealthy- its not dangerous.

When I cater, I typically cooked water jetted bugs because I like a cleaner bug. BUT, for a lot less work here is a simple trick. Put the bugs in a cooler and open the drain. When the discharge water is clean- they're clean enough. Plus by floating the cooler you can easily pick out the dead which depending on the time of year will be from 2% to 15%.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
From Dups:

quote:

This weekCrawfish are $2.60lb. cash or $2..70 lb. credit card WOW
Post removed:
by user
cheeky
AG
Any new places in the Woodlands area?
The Catfish
AG
Ordered a couple of sacks from Dup's in Humble. Looking forward to the first boil of the year this weekend.
cheeky
AG
Ordered from a new place Cravin Cajun 1488/2978 Magnolia/Woodlands. Better pricing than Woodlands Seafood and closer for me. Text 281.814.36fivefive to place orders. Owner is Lou seems legit.
Ag_09
AG
quote:
Guys, If you haven't already done it and you don't mind driving to Texas City- register for text alerts at Boyds One Stop. Understand these deals are usually one day deals and will RARELY see it on a weekend. If you're headed to Galveston, its a great place to swing by and pick up whatever size you want.

We are selling in Houston for 2.65 today. The crawfish are still too weak to put through the machines, so field run is the only option we are providing. Hoping to start grading next week.

As for purging... A lot of folks will claim they "purge" but they're dunking them in water- completely ineffective. To clean them, there is a very specific method and its more akin to water jetting. This method is a glorified crawfish colonoscopy.

As for the salt trick- the salt trick is going to force them to regurgitate what's undigested...and begin death. If you add salt, you'd better have plans to cook them soon.

The yellow gunk people try to get rid of is actually a fat like substance (full of flavor) from the hepatopancreas. Aside from unhealthy- its not dangerous.

When I cater, I typically cooked water jetted bugs because I like a cleaner bug. BUT, for a lot less work here is a simple trick. Put the bugs in a cooler and open the drain. When the discharge water is clean- they're clean enough. Plus by floating the cooler you can easily pick out the dead which depending on the time of year will be from 2% to 15%.
jftx knows what he's talking about. I ordered three sacks from him last year that had been cleaned in some way. We were very satisfied and had very few die on us. Highly Recommend!
HTownMARB06
AG
looking for 10 sacks this weekend.

Boyds
Dups
Who else should I contact for some quality? south tine- to coast.

Thanks
The Catfish
AG
The sacks I got from Dups this weekend were great. Very few dead bugs and clean..I didn't even cooler them before cooking, just sprayed them off with a hose. I paid $2.60 this past weekend.
Post removed:
by user
MelvinUdall
Try Spanky's in Rosenberg, I ordered from them last year and they were good size and clean.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spankys-Live-Crawfish/123670757646282
Post removed:
by user
StillNotAnAggie
Post removed:
by user
Matt_s
AG
quote:
I have had pretty good luck with heb but I would rather have a guarantee on Saturday morning pickup than worry about getting there at the right time.
That's the issue we have always had with HEB. Waited for 2 hours for the shipment to come in last year on Saturday before Easter and got the last bag. Not really interested in doing that again.

Anyone got other rec's for the Katy area? Spanky's isnt too far from the house, I may reach out today for their pricing.
Texaggie7nine
Might try Good Ole Boy's catering.
7nine
tpk8775
AG
Spankys is the best in katy/richmond.

Good ole boys is good too but spankys is cheaper and always seems to have bigger bugs.
wgk
AG
Spankys is not taking any more orders for this weekend. Good ole boys is currently taking orders for $3.69/lb.
MelvinUdall
quote:
Might try Good Ole Boy's catering.

I can honestly tell you that I will never get crawfish from Good Ole Boys. About 3 years ago I was in line at HEB to buy crawfish on a Saturday and a guy in fronts of us said, "no need to wait in this line, I work for Good Ole Boys and I am buying everything they have". I asked him why they were at HEB and he said that they were cheaper than what they could get and that they had other guys at other HEB's doing the same thing. I get it, yay capitalism, but the guys was such a jackass, that I swore I will never go back.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.