Houston
Sponsored by

New Listing by a Fellow Ag in The Heights this weekend.

13,415 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 94chem
El Duke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great location to walk to the Valero on 16th and get raped. Buy my house on the ritzy block of 17th (300th) instead. Even built by an Ag.
SQXVI
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
in what ****ing world is that piece of **** 1200 sq ft house worth half a million dollars? I know I get made fun of because I live in Lakes of Fairhaven in the Cypress-burbs, but my house is 7 times that size and costs 2 times as much.

are you really comparing living in cypress to living in the heights and wondering why it's so much more expensive?

I'm not sure what's harder to believe - that you live in an 8,400sqft house, or that anyone would pay 1million dollars to live in Cypress.
For sure! Why live in a brand new 7,000 sq foot house on a 55,000 sq foot lot in a nice low-crime neighborhood with your office a 3 minute commute, when you can buy a house a quarter that size that was built in 1915 for the same amount?
Scientific
AG

Power to the OP for still taking advantage of a sellers market.

I'm not surprised at all at what the heights is commanding, but compared to just two years ago, its insane. I'm more shocked people are willing to gamble with this kind of money given the uncertainty with the local economy.
El Duke
Ive lived in the Heights area for 8 years and not a cheerleader of the neighborhood at all. Let's be honest, the schools suck and too many hipsters. BUT- great restaurants and the best location in town. Im not shocked my home value has increased by 55% in two years. I can walk to Torchys and Heights General Store in 2 minutes. You cant walk to the mailbox in Cypress in two minutes.
JJxvi
AG
What's wrong with that Valero on 16th?
Scientific
AG
quote:
Ive lived in the Heights area for 8 years and not a cheerleader of the neighborhood at all. Let's be honest, the schools suck and too many hipsters. BUT- great restaurants and the best location in town. Im not shocked my home value has increased by 55% in two years. I can walk to Torchys and Heights General Store in 2 minutes. You cant walk to the mailbox in Cypress in two minutes.
I grew up in the Heights for a little while. Loved it there even before the gentrification came in and brought in the yuppies. I share the pain with folks from Brooklyn and the Mission District. It is what it is.
steve00
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
in what ****ing world is that piece of **** 1200 sq ft house worth half a million dollars? I know I get made fun of because I live in Lakes of Fairhaven in the Cypress-burbs, but my house is 7 times that size and costs 2 times as much.

are you really comparing living in cypress to living in the heights and wondering why it's so much more expensive?

I'm not sure what's harder to believe - that you live in an 8,400sqft house, or that anyone would pay 1million dollars to live in Cypress.
For sure! Why live in a brand new 7,000 sq foot house on a 55,000 sq foot lot in a nice low-crime neighborhood with your office a 3 minute commute, when you can buy a house a quarter that size that was built in 1915 for the same amount?

There are people who like suburbs and there are people who like to live in the middle of the action. To each his own.

I am curious what one does with 7,000sqft (or 8,400sqft, or however much it will be on your next post). I looked at that neighborhood online and they don't seem to have anything over 5,000sqft.

As far as your comparison to the Heights, my last house was brand new construction (but built in the Craftsman style). It was just under 3,000 sqft, which I found to be much larger than I needed. It was also quite a bit cheaper than your 1million dollar McMansion. Finally, it appreciated 33% in a year and a half. I doubt that you could sniff anything close to that out in Cypress.
JJxvi
AG
Soon they'll rebuild 290 and then lowered commute times will fill his pot with gold...well except for the part where everyone with a little money will be buying only newer homes even further out now that the freeway is "fixed"
El Duke
BlackRanchBridgeField which will feed into Cy-Rivers High School.
MAS444
AG
Seriously...what the hell do you do with a 7000 ft2 house? And I'm calling BS on the 3 minute commute time...unless you work for a builder or something in the area. It takes much longer than that to get out of most of those neighborhoods. Hell my office is 2 miles away and it takes me 10 minutes.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Seriously...what the hell do you do with a 7000 ft2 house? And I'm calling BS on the 3 minute commute time...unless you work for a builder or something in the area. It takes much longer than that to get out of most of those neighborhoods. Hell my office is 2 miles away and it takes me 10 minutes.

And we thank you for making something nice and respectable out of what that building used to be.
SQXVI
AG
quote:

I have a 40,000 Sq foot factory on 4 acres on mueschke
MAS444
AG
Oh. Well I'm wrong then. Nothing to see here...

Thanks, Ryan!
Diggity
AG
Thanks for clarifying... We were all dying to know how big your factory was.
Stan Crowch
AG
Well come on...tell us how much your factory is worth.
SQXVI
AG
quote:

He made it sound like there's no substantial non-home building places of employment in Cypress
MAS444
AG
No, I didn't.
quote:
no substantial non-home building places of employment within a 3 minute drive of your mansion

drumboy
AG
These Heights prices got my home valuation all skewed. My brother is looking to buy a house in Pflugerville or Georgetown or whatever else is north of Austin and every time he sends me a 4,nnn sq ft house for under $300K I'm like BUYBUYBUYBUYBUY.

That won't get you much in Timbergrove.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG

Cris_Dishman
What's the home appreciation in Cypress like compared to the Heights??? I bet pretty similar huh?
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
Stan Crowch
AG
Is Lakes of Fairhaven the River Oaks of Cypress?
T Durden
AG
Man I wish I would have wised up and bought in the heights in the late 90s.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Wow guys I didn't know starting this thread would get this response...I was just trying to give ags a look if they were interested. I guess I underestimated the suburban contingent. No offense but I am on the party where you would have to pay me to live in your neighborhood. But hey good luck with all the space.

i wish I could say more but I will bookmark and revisit this after we close. Maybe it's just me but to be able to wake up to 100 year old floors and windows and sit on the porch with a cigar and a whiskey or coffee is one of the best feelings. And I don't think I'd get the same feeling sitting on a patio poured by some day laborer who could care less. I walk to Carter and Cooley and can see my original property for sale way back when Nicholson was called railway at and alleyways had street cars take patrons of houstons original suburb to downtown.
I can walk to 5 bars, 2 grocery stores, 20 restuarants and walk my dog through groves of 125 year old oaks lining the streets.

I get it because your huge lot and huge house there is so much space and stuff.

Congrats.
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:
These Heights prices got my home valuation all skewed. My brother is looking to buy a house in Pflugerville or Georgetown or whatever else is north of Austin and every time he sends me a 4,nnn sq ft house for under $300K I'm like BUYBUYBUYBUYBUY.

That won't get you much in Timbergrove.
I got my house for less than 300k, although it is less than 1500 sqft, however I do live alone, and don't mind 1960s kitchen and bathroom for now.

Ours was well under that as well but it's 1200 sq ft and we bought in 2009.
Panama Red
AG
quote:
I can walk to 5 bars, 2 grocery stores, 20 restuarants and walk my dog through groves of 125 year old oaks lining the streets.

I would rather eat hair than go to that Fiesta or Kroger on 20th.
MAS444
AG
quote:
Wow guys I didn't know starting this thread would get this response...I was just trying to give ags a look if they were interested. I guess I
underestimated the suburban contingent. No offense but I am on the party
where you would have to pay me to live in your neighborhood. But hey
good luck with all the space.

i wish I could say more but I will bookmark and revisit this after we close. Maybe it's just me but to be able to wake up to 100 year old
floors and windows and sit on the porch with a cigar and a whiskey or
coffee is one of the best feelings. And I don't think I'd get the same
feeling sitting on a patio poured by some day laborer who could care
less. I walk to Carter and Cooley and can see my original property for
sale way back when Nicholson was called railway at and alleyways had
street cars take patrons of houstons original suburb to downtown.

I get it because your huge lot and huge house there is so much space and stuff.

Congrats.

So where are you moving?
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:

I would rather eat hair than go to that Fiesta or Kroger on 20th.

What fiesta? The one on 14th got bulldozed a couple years ago and the one on shepherd is a little far.
Panama Red
AG
A little far? Its about 0.6 miles.

Are you an obese person?
SQXVI
AG
Will the doughbeezy shoot-out improve home values?
aggiemike02
AG
quote:
cottage grove is not the heights. but yeah, doubt the grove suffers much of a pricing decline
Diggity
AG
quote:
Did the four Asians that were shot execution-style in your hood affect values?
SQXVI
AG
quote:
quote:
Did the four Asians that were shot execution-style in your hood affect values?
I don't live in Coles Crossing Cabron
Diggity
AG
and doughbeezy or whatever they call him doesn't live in the Heights.
drumboy
AG
quote:
A little far? Its about 0.6 miles.

Are you an obese person?

bruh, I've been told I'm "slender-athletic".

I walked home from Velvet Melvin to Timbergrove after the Texas Bowl so don't lecture me on distance walking (while drunk). That Fiesta is hood.

I figure Heights General Store was one of the grocery stores he walks to.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.