Houston
Sponsored by

A&M not "popular" with top 4 private schools

6,436 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Diggity
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I thought in late 90s we were best school in state according to Texas monthly?

Was that because of people attending from the Houston private schools ?

We are not Texas. We never will be. Many of us are glad about that

But the idea that if we are not Texas that means we are the University of Phoenix is absurd

Yes, it would be absurd if the current administration wasn't trying hard as hell to compete with the University of Phoenix instead of tu.

We can hate on tu all we want - but the fact of the matter is that we should be competing with them to be the top academic school in the state. And setting a goal of 80k undergrad students, teaching at junior colleges and letting in everybody with a pulse is not the way to do it. I'd like to think we are a bit better than that - we were at one point, but not so much anymore.

You may scoff at the ratings - but they have merit and weight with respect to the quality of student that applies and attends the school. I don't want A&M to be tech, or see our school end up like Lamar. Call me crazy.
BMX Bandit
Why can't we "be A&M"?

What made us great was not trying to be Texas.
MaysGrad09
quote:
We can hate on tu all we want - but the fact of the matter is that we should be competing with them to be the top academic school in the state. And setting a goal of 80k undergrad students, teaching at junior colleges and letting in everybody with a pulse is not the way to do it.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Why can't we "be A&M"?

I graduated from high school in 1999. I would not have picked A&M if I thought it was inferior to Texas.

So...really not sure if I would have picked A&M today.
longeryak
quote:
Westbury Christian top 7? That's a joke. And my stepdad has taken a job in retirement to teach there.
It isn't an academics ranking.

Know a headmaster of one of the privates who says, in their 30 years in independent schools, they have never seen or heard of anything like HC's rise. Attributes it to location in relationship to the energy corridor and energy bringing in execs with no bias to the traditional Houston name schools and that HC has good leadership with an actual plan..
Gap
AG
I'm assuming HC is Houston Christian. If so, I agree. Lots of people choosing it that could go anywhere.
chilimuybueno
AG
This fall there will be 17 St John's grads from the class of '15 attending A&M. That's the most ever, and more than will be enrolling at that school in Austin.
tremble
AG
quote:
quote:
Why can't we "be A&M"?

I graduated from high school in 1999. I would not have picked A&M if I thought it was inferior to Texas.

So...really not sure if I would have picked A&M today.

A&M has always been considered inferior to Texas in the vast majority of programs offered? Don't think that has ever changed, even in the 90s unless your in PETE
JJxvi
AG
The difference was generally marginal and both A&M and Texas were roughly top 50 national Universities and generally on the rise. Not the case any more. The two don't even have the same automatic admission standards from texas public high schools anymore as they did then.
TAMU bball fan
quote:
A&M has always been considered inferior to Texas in the vast majority of programs offered? Don't think that has ever changed, even in the 90s unless your in PETE

Not true. The gap was closed during the 90's, and in fact, A&M ranked higher than UT in USN&WR in '98.

A&M was on an upward trajectory during Bowen and Gates' presidencies (1994 - 2007), particularly Bowen's. It went the other direction under Murano, Loftin, and now Young.
Diggity
AG
I can't believe so many of you put any stock in these silly rankings.

USN&WR was a completely irrelevant nothing magazine until they came out with those rankings. Now they have private schools bending over backwards to game the system.

There are many stories similar to this one if you research that magazine.

quote:
Back in ancient times when I worked at esteemed weekly newsmagazine U.S. News & World Report, I always loathed the annual college rankings report. Like all cash cows, however, the college guide was a sacred cow, so I just shut up about its obvious statistical absurdities and inherent mendacity. As a lesson in the evils of our times, it is perhaps inevitable that the college guide is now the only thing left of U.S. News.
quote:
A story in today's New York Times reports that Claremont McKenna college has now been caught red handed submitting phony data to the college guide to boost its rankings. But the real scandal, as usual, is not the occasional flagrant instance of outright dishonesty but the routine corruption that is shot through the whole thing. To increase selectivity (one of the statistics that go into U.S. News's secret mumbo-jumbo formula to produce an overall ranking), many colleges deliberately encourage applications from students who don't have a prayer of getting in. To increase average SAT scores, colleges offer huge scholarships to un-needy but high scoring applicants to lure them to attend their institution. (The Times story mentioned that other colleges have been offering payments to admitted students to retake the test to increase the school average.)
quote:
One of my favorite bits of absurdity was what a friend on the faculty at Case Law School told me they were doing a few years ago: because one of the U.S. News data points was the percentage of graduates employed in their field, the law school simply hired any recent graduate who could not get a job at a law firm and put him to work in the library. Their other tactic was pure genius: the law school hired as adjunct professors local alumni who already had lucrative careers (thereby increasing the faculty-student ratio, a key U.S. News statistic used in determining ranking), paid them exorbitant salaries they did not need (thereby increasing average faculty salary, another U.S. News data point), then made it understood that since they did not really need all that money they were expected to donate it all back to the school (thereby increasing the alumni giving rate, another U.S. News data point): three birds with one stone! (I gather the new Case law dean has put an end to these shenanigans.)

If you're one of these "perception is reality" people, I hate to tell you this, but we're never going to do well on these lists where class size, attrition and selectivity are the biggest factors. Like it or not, Texas is a big state and the task of the universities is to educate the state.
TAMU bball fan
Here's a good article about Ray Bowen's time as President of A&M.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/content/gig-em-ray/page/0/2

TAMU bball fan
Texas Monthly 1997:

quote:
They put education ahead of football, admitted more women than men, and learned the difference between good traditions and bad ones and turned Texas A&M into the state's top-rated public university. No kidding.
Link
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
This fall there will be 17 St John's grads from the class of '15 attending A&M. That's the most ever, and more than will be enrolling at that school in Austin.

Link? Word of mouth?
chilimuybueno
AG
I am well acquainted with the Director of Admissions at SJS.
chilimuybueno
AG
And...my wife is a graduate of SJS. My information is reliable.
CrossBowAg99
AG
My wife's BFF is a Farish so take that
chilimuybueno
AG
Congrats
TAMU bball fan
This obviously isn't good publicity - A&M is designated a "safety school" due to its high acceptance rate.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-underrated-colleges-2015-7
Diggity
AG
we're right ahead of Yale and Duke on their overall list, so I guess that means we're closing in on Ivy League baby!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.