Houston
Sponsored by

A&M not "popular" with top 4 private schools

6,428 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Diggity
TAMU bball fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Could it be because A&M has fallen from a top 50 university to outside the top 75?

http://www.chron.com/news/education/article/Katy-schools-come-out-on-top-on-latest-Niche-5869252.php#photo-7096428

1) St. John's
2) Kinkaid
3) Woodlands Prep
4) Awty
Dan Scott
AG
You're too rich and/or smart to go to A&M. I also bet those schools have less white people
Diggity
AG
plenty of white kids at those schools (aside from Awty).

....but A&M has never been a big destination for those schools.

something wrong with a list that has westbury christian higher than st. agnes, duchesne and john cooper though.
Diggity
AG
I looked at some of the other rankings and that list is hot garbage.
Serotonin
AG
ITL rich kids overwhelmingly choose UT over A&M. When I graduated from HS ('99) A&M was ahead of UT in USN&WR rankings and had the famous Texas Monthly cover from '97 or '98 declaring it to be the top school in Texas. The two schools were pretty interchangeable at that point and you could argue that A&M's trajectory looked much better, but most kids who came from wealthy backgrounds chose UT, and the kids that applied to elite private schools chose UT as their backup, not A&M.

Fast forward to today and UT has opened a pretty big rankings gap and they are widely considered to be the premium product of the two flagship schools, so not surprising at all to see that continue to be the case.
agchugger
AG
Kids from those schools are going to law school, politics, doctors.... Not engineering.
The Milkman
AG
St. Thomas feeds much more to A&M than the other major universities... similar culture.
cwpaggie07
AG
Jesuit not ranked #1, list irrelevant.
cwpaggie07
AG
quote:
plenty of white kids at those schools (aside from Awty).

....but A&M has never been a big destination for those schools.

something wrong with a list that has westbury christian higher than st. agnes, duchesne and john cooper though.
Also, agree with all of this.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Kids from those schools are going to law school, politics, doctors
A&M offers those degrees also ... just not as good
Texan76
Westbury Christian top 7? That's a joke. And my stepdad has taken a job in retirement to teach there.
Jarvis Lemon
No real surprise imo. The wealthy parents sending their kids to these schools are from an era where t.u. was considered a MUCH better education than A&M.
GoAgs92
AG
with the way tuition is going...my kids will be going in the military.
rjamizon
Good.
Diggity
AG
quote:
No real surprise imo. The wealthy parents sending their kids to these schools are from an era where t.u. was considered a MUCH better education than A&M.
That's true as well. Most of the parents of my friends from high school were either from out of town or ut. I can't think of any of them that went to A&M. That will change a lot in the coming years I assume.
MaysGrad09
quote:
ITL rich kids overwhelmingly choose UT over A&M. When I graduated from HS ('99) A&M was ahead of UT in USN&WR rankings and had the famous Texas Monthly cover from '97 or '98 declaring it to be the top school in Texas. The two schools were pretty interchangeable at that point and you could argue that A&M's trajectory looked much better, but most kids who came from wealthy backgrounds chose UT, and the kids that applied to elite private schools chose UT as their backup, not A&M.

Fast forward to today and UT has opened a pretty big rankings gap and they are widely considered to be the premium product of the two flagship schools, so not surprising at all to see that continue to be the case.

94chem
who are those guys?
Captain Augustus McCrae
Those are the guys trying to turn A&M into a junior college.

quote:
Engineering faculty from Texas A&M will teach engineering classes at the community college campus, enabling students to save money and stay close to home for their first two years working toward a Texas A&M engineering degree.

Link
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Because people like sharp think a&m should be for every dumbass in the state.

I'm liberal as ****, not the typical guy who would go to A&M, but I went here because of earning potential, earning potential will fall if we keep dropping.
CrossBowAg99
AG

GTFO

[If you make another post in the manner of what we deleted, you will be TFO -Staff]
Madmarttigan
AG
quote:
quote:
Because people like sharp think a&in should be for every dumbass in the state.

I'm liberal as ****, not the typical guy who would go to A&M, but I went here because of earning potential, earning potential will fall if we keep dropping.
You should have gone to TU. I hate liberals. Please quit posting here.

GTFO

Take your own advice.
MaysGrad09
Honestly if you spent as much as SJS or a similar priced private school, would you send your kids to A&M or would you aim higher?

I can imagine A&M being a safety school for these students in the late 90's/early 2000's, but now? No. It's not even a top 50 university anymore.
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
Honestly if you spent as much as SJS or a similar priced private school, would you send your kids to A&M
A&M will get back on track. Don't discount the network.
TAMU bball fan
http://engineering.tamu.edu/25by25

Kathy Banks
Karan Watson
John Sharp
Regents appointed by Perry

The university will be better when these people are gone.
Ray Guy
AG
Who gives a ****
BMX Bandit
Have we ever been popular with these schools?

Thats Sharp;s fault?
MaysGrad09
quote:
Who gives a ****

Alumni that care about the reputation of the university they spent tens of thousands of dollars to get an education from.
BMX Bandit
So a&m built its reputation in spite of not being popular with those graduates, but is dependent on them now to have a good reputation?
tremble
AG
Why don't you just work hard and give the school a good reputation by example?

Good lord, lots of belly aching in here over flawed rankings. Those rankings are probably worse than CFB preseason and yet everyone loses their **** over them.
MaysGrad09
quote:
So a&m built its reputation in spite of not being popular with those graduates, but is dependent on them now to have a good reputation?

A&M has never had the reputation that UT-Austin or Rice has. It had closed the gap considerably a decade ago but has since gone the other direction.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
Lol the long time reputation as being Poor Boy U? Where students went if they didn't have the money or grades to go somewhere better? That was A&M's reputation. Sounds like it's returning to those roots with A&M engineering professors teaching at junior colleges.
BMX Bandit
I thought in late 90s we were best school in state according to Texas monthly?

Was that because of people attending from the Houston private schools ?

We are not Texas. We never will be. Many of us are glad about that

But the idea that if we are not Texas that means we are the University of Phoenix is absurd
TAMU bball fan
quote:
We are not Texas. We never will be. Many of us are glad about that

Former students that graduated in the 1970's and earlier tend to think this way. Former students that graduated in the 1980's and later tend to care much more about academics and don't have this inferiority complex, presumably because it was a better university by then, harder to get in, and more on par with UT. Unfortunately, the current regents and chancellor have the 1970's mindset. But they'll be out of power soon enough and A&M will be better for it.

Frankly, UT's academic reputation right now is nothing to write home about either. They're not ranked in the top 50 anymore. If A&M wanted to surpass UT in the rankings, it could very easily do it by limiting enrollment and decreasing the average class size. Regardless, the state of Texas needs both UT and A&M to be top ranked public universities. It's not a zero sum game and it's embarrassing a state of our size doesn't have at least 2 or 3 or more top 10 public universities. Governor Abbott has said this repeatedly and he's right.
TAMU bball fan
quote:
"We will begin the process of ensuring that we elevate some of Texas' elite colleges and universities into the top 10 nationally," Abbott said as he introduced his senior staff.

"One of the areas that disturbs me is the fact that five of the top 10 public universities in the country are from California, with none being from Texas," he said, referring to a U.S. News & World Report ranking of taxpayer-supported universities.

Link
dolch
AG
I don't want to associate with most of the kids i ever met from high dollar private schools.
I'm guessing they are not much different today.

That being said, we have let some of our defining ideology be washed out by the masses, and they are trying to make A&M another generic institution. I love and prefer the small town, real people image that we used to be.

Then again, I'm sure i'm considered a neanderthal theses days; I hunt, I fish, I work, and I put family first (but not before God).

btw. if you need a good education at a good price, go to Lamar.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.