Austin
Sponsored by

Transportation Bond

8,560 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zosima
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So most of us will vote "no" and this will pass anyway. So should I just stay home and not vote?

http://www.empowertexans.com/around-texas/city-of-austin-approves-720-million-mobility-bond/
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
it is fortunate that officials are putting forth a plan that, for once, doesn't involve rail of some kind.
Amen.
quote:
it is unclear how they'll alleviate the space problem many of the solutions simply require more space on roadways that are already cramped on either side by buildings.
Of course, it wouldn't be COA if they didn't put a huge pricetag on some nebulous projects that aren't really clear how they will help the problem, other than give the city something to brag about to other cities at conferences...
rather be fishing
AG
Now I get to listen to all of the people around the office talk about how we need to vote yes for the bond while they live in other counties.
ATXAdvisor
AG
Why would most choose to vote against badly needed local infrastructure? The specifics look a little vague, but every bond has that issue.

This isn't some pie in the sky boondoggle like rail, nor is it a giveaway to tu or some other pork project.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I think the main issue is that Adler wants to use a large portion of it to add sidewalks and bike lanes to the North/South Corridors like Lamar and Guadalupe. If the bond was mostly for road expansion, I think youd have a different response...
rather be fishing
AG
Agree with BOM. The perceived misuse of the funds for something that doesn't seem to be a solution is what COA has continuously failed to realize.

Bike lanes to facilitate more Lance Armstrong wannabes doesn't help cut traffic. Nor does sidewalks.

I wasn't so staunchly opposed to some kind of rail, but the plans they proposed were absurd.
AggieOO
as someone who lived in NYC for a long time and has traveled extensively in and between cities with rail, i'd love a functional rail system here. It blows my mind that they can't come up with a plan that actually makes sense.
chipotle
Rail is never gonna work here in Austin. Ever.

EVER.
RDV-1992
quote:
as someone who lived in NYC for a long time and has traveled extensively in and between cities with rail, i'd love a functional rail system here. It blows my mind that they can't come up with a plan that actually makes sense.
I agree with this.

Also agree that we don't need new bike lanes & sidewalks on major thoroughfares. The bike lanes should be on feeder roads that run parallel to the major roads. Less traffic, better for everyone.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Functional rail systems require high density, centralized populations and infrastructure that was originally built and paid for on the backs of poor people and corruption. The rail barons that acquired the necessary ROW's to establish a viable rail system in the north couldn't possibly afford to do it with today's eminent domain costs and labor costs. Southern railways are owned by the freight companies and they don't make money moving people around or clogging up their systems with commuter trains.

Urban rail is a prohibitively expensive and ultimately inefficient pipe-dream. Inter-urban rail and bullet trains might serve a little more purpose, except for the fact that when you get where you're going, you still have to figure out how to move around, unless they terminate in the city-centers.

The South was built for cars. We can't start over. So let's start making some better decisions.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Meanwhile, the City spent 10 years and $14 Million to solve the huge, non-existent problem of getting bikes across Barton Creek in the hopes of encouraging people to ride their bikes.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/barton-creek-bike-bridges-on-the-cusp-of-opening/nr67G/
Goldie Wilson
Vote yes for gondolas
chipotle
Wait...gondolas? ***k it. It's just an extra 300-400 dollars extra on my property taxes.
RDV-1992
quote:
Functional rail systems require high density, centralized populations and infrastructure that was originally built and paid for on the backs of poor people and corruption. The rail barons that acquired the necessary ROW's to establish a viable rail system in the north couldn't possibly afford to do it with today's eminent domain costs and labor costs. Southern railways are owned by the freight companies and they don't make money moving people around or clogging up their systems with commuter trains.

Urban rail is a prohibitively expensive and ultimately inefficient pipe-dream. Inter-urban rail and bullet trains might serve a little more purpose, except for the fact that when you get where you're going, you still have to figure out how to move around, unless they terminate in the city-centers.

The South was built for cars. We can't start over. So let's start making some better decisions.
Well, we certainly have the corruption. Look at this crappy transportation bond.

I've ridden the train and the bus in Chicago.

My brother rides the train from Littleton to downtown Denver every work day.

If I could, I would ride a train from home (Barton Creek) to work (middle of downtown).

I know they will never put in rail to the Westlake area, but if they put some in in other areas it could help take folks off the road (and therefore out of my way).

RDV-1992
PS - sometimes I wonder if the folks putting these rail proposals in front of us are anti-rail. Similar to the first light rail they did in Houston. That was designed to be as stupid and inefficient as possible by the 6 or 7 construction companies down there that build roads.
AggieOO
Only reason rail won't work here is bc people won't give up driving bc they think mass transit is for the poor.
Aust Ag
AG
quote:
Only reason rail won't work here is bc people won't give up driving bc they think mass transit is for the poor.
And....the people of Westlake, Tarrytown, Rollingwood, etc....that care so much about "their Austin" don't care about letting rail anywhere near their house. Meanwhile, Austin traffic will continue to choke and get worse. I'm shocked that the lame Mopac toll was even allowed.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:

Furlock Bones
AG
quote:

Listen to the old man. He gets it.
Federale01
AG
A light rail from RR to downtown Austin would be packed every day. But for the life of me I don't know how you find the right of way. I still think a commuter focused system like DC's metro would work here. But, I don't think you can ever make it cost effective. You either have to realize it is going to be subsidized by the tax payer or be underfunded.
Furlock Bones
AG
Problem is light rail isnt fast enough. You have to have unimpeded tracks. Have to have an elevated train and that is not going to happen. Would cost about the same as the Texas GDP.

Then there is population density. Texas has a density problem.

I loved living in London and popping on the tube to go wherever. But, it just won't work here.

The future is automated cars and buses.
HTownAg98
quote:
A light rail from RR to downtown Austin would be packed every day. But for the life of me I don't know how you find the right of way. I still think a commuter focused system like DC's metro would work here. But, I don't think you can ever make it cost effective. You either have to realize it is going to be subsidized by the tax payer or be underfunded.

The right of way is there. It's just going to cost a minimum of $20/sf. Plus, if you put CapMetro in charge, they will manage to f it up bigger than you can possibly imagine. CapMetro is that guy that can stand outside when it is raining titties and get hit in the head with a giant dong.
Potcake
AG
I never understood the focus on rail within city limits. The bigger need is to and from Hays County ( south and west), WillCo, and airport.

More bike lanes? The more this town accomodates cyclists, the more they ignore traffic laws. I am not against cyclists but they are the acme of hypocrites.
Btron
AG
quote:

I think too the hotter weather has to be a factor for public transportation. But the work force is getting more and more casual, maybe their flip flops and t shirts can handle the summer heat waiting for a train
Texian
AG
quote:
I think the main issue is that Adler wants to use a large portion of it to add sidewalks and bike lanes to the North/South Corridors like Lamar and Guadalupe. If the bond was mostly for road expansion, I think youd have a different response...
The problem is the take it all or get none of it nature of this. Many school districts pull this crap too so they can hold needed classroom improvements hostage so they can get their new football stadium.
BQ92
AG
Agree
emando2000
AG
Do we really have that many people that work downtown to justify that type rail expense? I realize Austin is growing at a ridiculous rate but downtown Austin is pretty small compared to the Chicago, NYC & LA's of the world. Also, isn't Austin the 4th/5th largest in Texas?

I saw a comment about people viewing public transportation being for poor people. I housed my brother years back when I lived in the arboretum area. He didn't have a vehicle so he used the bus route and the routes were ridiculous IMO. The time spent waiting along with the multiple stops would make it worth driving if one had the ability to do so.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Do we really have that many people that work downtown to justify that type rail expense? I realize Austin is growing at a ridiculous rate but downtown Austin is pretty small compared to the Chicago, NYC & LA's of the world. Also, isn't Austin the 4th/5th largest in Texas?

I saw a comment about people viewing public transportation being for poor people. I housed my brother years back when I lived in the arboretum area. He didn't have a vehicle so he used the bus route and the routes were ridiculous IMO. The time spent waiting along with the multiple stops would make it worth driving if one had the ability to do so.
you need population density and employment density to achieve a ridership that is worthwhile.

most studies say you need a population density around 10,000 people per square mile.

Austin's is about 3,300 ppl/sq mi. I'm not sure on the job density.

the issue is that driverless cars and buses will be available well before Austin ever hits a meaningful population density to raise ridership to levels that matter.

Austin is certainly better off in creating a unified central business district due to zoning unlike Houston. But, there is still too much unincorporated land and other nearby cities that businesses will build in rather than pay high cost lease space of downtown.
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:

Somehow, the DART rail line in Dallas seems to do ok. No idea about the financial side of it though.
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:
Problem is light rail isnt fast enough. You have to have unimpeded tracks. Have to have an elevated train and that is not going to happen. Would cost about the same as the Texas GDP.

Then there is population density. Texas has a density problem.

I loved living in London and popping on the tube to go wherever. But, it just won't work here.

The future is automated cars and buses.
I will agree that a future of automated cars and buses probably solves most of the problems and will probably get here before Austin gets a meaningful rail system in place.

Btw, Uber is working with Carnagie Mellon to roll out self driving vehicles in Pittsburg this month.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Here's an older article on DART.... It "works" because the cities (plural) subsidize it to the tune of 88% of its operating costs. Also, DART rail was a part of a larger plan that included HOV lanes and bus systems.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/20130810-at-30-dart-still-faces-growing-pains.ece

quote:
Particularly galling for DART's fiscal critics is that a relatively small amount of the agency's $400 million-plus annual operating costs are covered by fares about 12 percent from 2007 to 2011, according to the National Transit Database.
RDV-1992
quote:
quote:

you need population density and employment density to achieve a ridership that is worthwhile.

most studies say you need a population density around 10,000 people per square mile.

Austin's is about 3,300 ppl/sq mi. I'm not sure on the job density.

the issue is that driverless cars and buses will be available well before Austin ever hits a meaningful population density to raise ridership to levels that matter.

Austin is certainly better off in creating a unified central business district due to zoning unlike Houston. But, there is still too much unincorporated land and other nearby cities that businesses will build in rather than pay high cost lease space of downtown.

I've heard this before. How do driverless cars reduce traffic? I grant you that they could make traffic flow more smoothly, but they don't take cars off the street.

And driverless cars could actually increase traffic downtown and in areas like the domain. Can't find a parking space for a quick trip into a restaurant/store/whatever? Just ask your driverless car to circle the block while you do your business and then pick you up once you're done.

Driverless buses won't be any better than regular buses if they keep the crappy routes and times that they currently have.

I think some sort of mass transit makes sense. It could be more efficient buses. Or light rail. Or we could put in a hyperloop. But until its actually usable for commuters (like it is in Denver, Chicago, and other cities) it won't be used by folks that can afford a car.
BiochemAg97
AG
Driverless cars and car sharing type service is the key. If cars are available on demand at the ends of the bus route, then mass transit becomes more appealing.

Plus, if a car is available when you need it through a car sharing service, then you may see decrease in car ownership as people choose to only have cars as needed.
ATXAdvisor
AG
This discussion of the bond has been thoroughly "derailed"!
RDV-1992
quote:
Driverless cars and car sharing type service is the key. If cars are available on demand at the ends of the bus route, then mass transit becomes more appealing.

Plus, if a car is available when you need it through a car sharing service, then you may see decrease in car ownership as people choose to only have cars as needed.
I've seen those shared smart cars downtown for years. Folks I know that live down here have access, but consider them expensive for the service.

Also agree that having some of those near a bus stop or rail depot (like the north side of the convention center) would be good.

But car sharing doesn't help daily commuters such as myself.

And still unsure how driverless cars would reduce traffic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.