103.9 no longer ESPN radio?

10,821 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 91_Aggie
Schrute Farms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like Louie. Chip is one of the most annoying hosts I've ever heard.
FNG
I enjoy Chip's show. He doesn't sunshine pump. He doesn't potbang.

Chip doesn't regurgitate the things the national sports guys talk about. In some markets you get hosts during the day that just parrot Mike and Mike or Dan Patrick or Cowherd. Chip doesn't do that.

No NBA and minimal NFL talk is a plus.

He does his own thing. I can get the rest of Aggie news or pro news other places. It's nice to have a different kind of show.

Writers Roundtable
Outdoors show
When animals attack
Pick 'em contest

Lots of good guests, including some that I never would have been exposed to on another sports talk show.

It's not a cookie cutter format. That's a good thing.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I enjoy Chip's show. He doesn't sunshine pump. He doesn't potbang.
It's because he rarely talks about sports
cajunken
The Writers' Roundtable is one of the best hours of local sports talk on the radio.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
ESPN radio is really bad. We need all the rock stations we can get, our classic rock station plays a bunch of horrible hair bands.
FNG
Edmond Dantes said:

ESPN radio is really bad. We need all the rock stations we can get, our classic rock station plays a bunch of horrible hair bands.

As I type this K.C. is playing some CCR.

Layla played earlier.

He plays Zeppelin pretty often.

If you think the occasional Poison, Ratt, or Whitesnake song is "a bunch of horrible hair bands", I'll say I disagree.

It's not like we are getting Kix, Firehouse, L.A. Guns, Steelheart, Slaughter, and a bunch of others on an hourly basis.
redchapterjubilee
A bad spring book for sports radio should have been expected in a football market. The fall book would have been A LOT better. I agree with the sentiment that the new 103.9 should be able to pull a share and TSL from 99.5. Programming is still from the bird so overhead is low. Eventually peeling a share from KNFX won't be enough and whoever owns 103.9 will flip it to something else in a year or so. B/CS is a weird radio market.
Drewmeister
AG
Gasbandit said:

According to the Nielsen website, the ratings have gone like this -

Station: Fall14, Spring15, Fall15, Spring16

KNFX-FM: 3.4, 4.5, 5.8, 6.4
KJXJ-FM: 2.0,1.5,1.0, 0.9
[...]
It seems odd that there are no Bryan Broadcasting stations listed in the ratings. Are the ratings for Candy 95, WTAW, and KZNE really that bad that they don't even make the list, or is there some other reason they're excluded?
ChampsAg
I don't know how people do interviews with Chip. The uh-huh and yeahs constantly are damn annoying to me. I can't imagine what the interviewee is thinking.
Gasbandit
Drewmeister said:

Gasbandit said:

According to the Nielsen website, the ratings have gone like this -

Station: Fall14, Spring15, Fall15, Spring16

KNFX-FM: 3.4, 4.5, 5.8, 6.4
KJXJ-FM: 2.0,1.5,1.0, 0.9
[...]
It seems odd that there are no Bryan Broadcasting stations listed in the ratings. Are the ratings for Candy 95, WTAW, and KZNE really that bad that they don't even make the list, or is there some other reason they're excluded?
Nielsen only publishes ratings for stations that pay them. If a company doesn't pay, Nielsen doesn't publicly report their ratings.
FNG
True. Bryan Broadcasting doesn't subscribe to Nielsen.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

As I type this K.C. is playing some CCR.
KC plays rat, poison, and tesla all the damned time. He plays crap no one has even heard before and calls it classic rock. Its literally the worst classic rock station Ive ever come across. Yeah, there's good stuff on there because you cant have a classic rock station and avoid zeppelin, but I dont need to hear juke box hero 15 times a day.
FNG
You realize he plays requests, right?

I'm going to call in some hair band requests for Two For Tuesday tomorrow and have him shout out to you.

One thing I have noticed when calling for the all request hour is that 99.5 doesn't have a big catalog. The Eagle in Houston has tons of songs for most artists, including the "deep cuts" you hope to hear sometimes that rarely get played.

My guess is that Clear Channel gave them a limited budget to purchase music and we hear a lot of the same stuff because they don't have everything some stations in larger markets can get.
Gasbandit
FNG said:

You realize he plays requests, right?

I'm going to call in some hair band requests for Two For Tuesday tomorrow and have him shout out to you.

One thing I have noticed when calling for the all request hour is that 99.5 doesn't have a big catalog. The Eagle in Houston has tons of songs for most artists, including the "deep cuts" you hope to hear sometimes that rarely get played.

My guess is that Clear Channel gave them a limited budget to purchase music and we hear a lot of the same stuff because they don't have everything some stations in larger markets can get.
That's not exactly how music costs on radio works. Radio stations don't really "buy" the music once and then play what they've bought as much as they want... rather, they just get whatever music their Program Director wants (usually for free, the artists/labels are happy to provide), and periodically ASCAP (https://www.ascap.com/ ) or BMI or SESAC will request three weeks or so of their logs, count up how many times they played each artists, and then extrapolate that to the whole 3 months or whatever, then send the radio station a bill for the royalties. Radio station pays ASCAP, ASCAP then takes a cut and distributes the remainders accordingly to the artists.

So, if a station has a really really small selection of songs, it's because somebody in charge decided that's what they want to do, for a reason. As long as they're playing music, they're spending the same amount of money regardless of whether it's all going to 10 artists or 1000.
FNG
Thanks for explaining.

Still crummy that there is not more selection. I feel like K.C. is working with his hands tied behind his back some days.
FNG
And I knew royalties were paid, I just didn't know why there would be limitations on song availability.
FNG
Maybe this is an instance of signal hopping and stepping on another station, but 102.7 is Jack FM this morning and not The Zone.
FNG
The Zone is coming in clear in town on 102.7 so it must be due to me being too far south initially.
texasaggie2015
AG
I thought the two guys that filled in for Chip a few times during the summer were pretty entertaining. They had some fun guests.
redchapterjubilee
Actually, most stations do listener tests either through callout research or auditorium tests. I don't know what kind of research KNFX has but assuredly they are working from somebody's numbers. No one just programs a commercial radio station by ear and to personal taste anymore and haven't for well over 30 years.
91_Aggie
AG
Ugh, turned on 1150 this morning... that national show they have on is horrible... I still gave that radio station family "ratings" by changing to 1620.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.