103.9 no longer ESPN radio?

10,820 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 91_Aggie
Prune Tracy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FNG
I was about to start a thread on this.

Unexpected change.
AG @ HEART
Yea I asked a guy at work about it, there no info about the change.
timstreet
AG
I called Brazos Valley Communications and the guy I talked to was told by management to field calls regarding this change.

I was told it was a "management decision" and no other reason was given to me when I asked.

We already have 99.5 -- let's petition to get ESPN Aggieland back!
Scruffy
AG
Let's bring back a real rock station!
I get tired of hearing the same songs; and the same songs played on the oldies station.

I want good, real, rock.
patrick.redmill
That didn't last long.

Unless they are skewing older than The Fox (60's and 70's) there's no way the area sustains two classic rock stations.

Hopefully this turns over (again) soon and we get a good album adult contemporary station.
Scruffy
AG
They have that with 104.7.

We need less crappy music.
patrick.redmill
Ack, sorry. I meant adult album alternative (think KEXP in Seattle). But yeah, we have nothing remotely close, KEOS, maybe.

They tried the,"rock" station for awhile and it was kind of a disaster. There are so many expectations for what a "rock" station sounds like in 2016, they tend to be a jumbled mess. I do a lot of driving around the country, and these are a dying breed.
Broncos
ESPN radio is gone?! Nooooooooooo.
BCStalk
I saw this and was excited until I heard 99.5 clone. Junk
FNG
Idea

KC Wheeler and classics in the morning

Kotter middays with 90's and alternative music

Bring back Dee for afternoon/evening playing a mix of both

Find some syndicated talent for nights and overnights
Scruffy
AG
Good idea.
techno-ag
AG
XM 4TW.
CrazyAgE
So no real reason as to why ESPN radio is gone??

LET'S GET IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!
soso33
I need my PAAAWLLLLLL
This suuuucks!
Ag_B_10
AG
Great idea, but Kotter will never come back to brazos radio.
02skiag
AG
When 103.9 did rock it was what I consider blue collar rock. That's not sustainable here. With a student population we need something more along the lines of the Edge in Dallas.
Tex Aggie
AG
So how we gonna listen to Finebaum now?
Serious question. Can we pick up any other stations that broadcast it?
eloc62
timstreet said:

I called Brazos Valley Communications and the guy I talked to was told by management to field calls regarding this change.

I was told it was a "management decision" and no other reason was given to me when I asked.

We already have 99.5 -- let's petition to get ESPN Aggieland back!
Dang it! Really liked listening to ESPN radio while driving in my truck during the day. guess it is back to 1150 The Zone for my sports talk radio, unless i opt for satellite, which i may now have to do.I would listen to 1150, but it's nothing but college football talk all day. I do have to say that I like listening to the D.A. show starting at 6 pm on my way home.
WaveGeek
Ag_B_10 said:

Great idea, but Kotter will never come back to brazos radio.
.......he sure will!
Schrute Farms
1150 has an awful afternoon lineup. ESPN Radio was perfect to fill that gap. It was also nice having equal coverage of the Texans and Cowboys on game day.

Just seems weird to pull a sports station in the middle of football season.
Stupe
S
I agree. I can stream ESPN in the office in the afternoon, but the guys in the warehouse are going to hate it.
That morning show that they have opposite Mike and Mike is horrible, but I used to switch to that from time to time. When one of the hosts started asking a guest about the "female perks" that were given to him on recruiting visits, I didn't even do that anymore.
That was nice to hear while driving my son to school.

As another poster put it, doing this in the middle of football season makes no sense in the first place.
And classic rock? When there is already 99.5, 106.9, and general classic on 107.3?

I'm sure the suites at KZNE are happy, but I don't think this is going to increase their audience very much. Even when there wasn't a sports alternative, most of the people that I know didn't listen in the afternoon, anyway.
soso33
I won't be listening to KZNE any more than I already do now because of this. Looks like for me I will be figuring out how to stream PAAAWWLLL from my phone while in the car or will be dusting off some CDs I haven't listened to in a while.

In the mornings, I've moved to NPR. I can't handle Mike and Mike (don't have to worry about that now!) or the Gio and Jones show on KZNE.
jja79
AG
Sirius XM has it all day long.
Stupe
S
And the Rockies have snow and the Sahara doesn't.

We are obviously talking about over the air radio and not satellite. I don't get why it is so difficult for some to realize that there are jobs where listening to the radio is possible but internet and satellite are not.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

And? We are obviously talking about over the air radio.
Seems to me the poster was just letting folks know that if they wanted to continue to listen to ESPN radio it was available all day on satellite.
soso33
I'm not a fan of the audio compression used for satellite radio. Sibilants are really annoying to listen to when they've been artifacted by compression. Some stations are better than others, but compared to FM or even AM, satellite has a lot of audio quality issues to address before I will listen to it on a regular basis.
Stupe
S
AGnCS said:

Quote:

And? We are obviously talking about over the air radio.
Seems to me the poster was just letting folks know that if they wanted to continue to listen to ESPN radio it was available all day on satellite.

Looks like you were posting while I was editing.

Not everyone has access to that during the day.
CTGilley
AG
This makes me sad... ESPN radio was the best part of my morning and afternoon drive.
AG @ HEART
Never had a audio quality issue with sat radio, actually think it's better sounding than terrestrial.
Jinx
Still bitter over losing Rock 103.9...
jja79
AG
AG @ HEART said:

Never had a audio quality issue with sat radio, actually think it's better sounding than terrestrial.
Me either, it's fantastic.

I merely brought up Sirius XM in the event some didn't know the programming is available. Don't most, if not all, autos sold the last 5 or so years have satellite radio?
91_Aggie
AG
dammit... i had to tune to 1150 this morning on the way in and whatever that national morning show is horrible. then after that it is just about 8 hours of local A&M stuff that just rehashes the same local stuff all day long, except we sometimes get Louie's opinion on some national stuff, but he only says stuff to try to troll fans of teams he doesn't like.

I guess ESPN charges too much for its radio content.
TXCityGirl
This is terrible news. I prefer national sports radio. I would love to know who to send a complaint to here locally.
CTGilley
AG
TXCityGirl said:

This is terrible news. I prefer national sports radio. I would love to know who to send a complaint to here locally.
This
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.