Race Track - What is the latest?

12,423 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dave99ag
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

today yes..... but I think that this segment will be a YUUUUGGGEEE segment of the local scene starting about now....
The first of the " modern" Aggie classes ( early 70's and up) are just now starting to retire. Unlike our dads who went back to small town Texas or to the ranch we are coming to BCS in significant numbers. And a BIG subset of us want what we couldn't have in Houston/Ft Worth/SA...... Our retirement designed house with room for a big ole yard and a big ole burn pit and a big ole barn and a big ole tractor and a big ole gator just to drive from nowhere to nowhere and chickens ( wife idea) that can attract the rat snakes that said wife can freak out about and ..........well you get the idea. A lot of those 40 -50 lot subdivisions that are on Wellborn fit that mold and sell FAST. I can see even more popping up in Grimes. Lots of Grimes county is just as pretty as Washington County that was the go to place for thousands of Houston retirees for the last 20 years. Wash Cnty is overpriced and full up now so I fully expect the developers to begin to look at Grimes and Burleson Cnty next for the huge wave thats a coming...

Just saw FlyRod's post. Yes..I am one and I know of MANY MANY classmates that are in the process. We tailgate at the AFS and mingle with lots of Formers my age or a tad younger. Moving to BCS is a prime conversation every gameday
Completely agree. I'm one of many in the same boat. Wife and I decided a few years ago that BCS is where we want to retire. Spent a year looking at all the potential lots in the area and bought a vacant one in Indian Lakes. We got into a new area in 4 wheel drive before they were finished clearing stumps out of it. The lots were going fast, and we jumped on one. Glad we did. Spent almost another year designing a house and finding the right builder. And then almost another year to finish the house after they broke ground. But now it's done and is our little piece of heaven on earth.

Still at least 10 years before retirement, but we realized to land where we wanted, we needed to get in on the action before all the "good" spots were gone. We can always sell and upgrade later if something better comes along.
curious..which builder did you use ? Its a tight market and the prices these guys are getting is insane.
SARATOGA
Quote:

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the large property for sale at Peach Creek & Hwy 6.
You mean the 224 acres that borders Peach Creek Cutoff, the Hwy, and Peach Creek ?

I had heard that a developer had bought it and was going to do a "Saddle Creek" like development with larger 1 acre lots. It is a pretty piece of property with some elevation changes and mature trees. But the deal must have fallen thru because it went from "Under Contract" to back on the market.

Do you know something new Dave ??
MemphisAg1
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

today yes..... but I think that this segment will be a YUUUUGGGEEE segment of the local scene starting about now....
The first of the " modern" Aggie classes ( early 70's and up) are just now starting to retire. Unlike our dads who went back to small town Texas or to the ranch we are coming to BCS in significant numbers. And a BIG subset of us want what we couldn't have in Houston/Ft Worth/SA...... Our retirement designed house with room for a big ole yard and a big ole burn pit and a big ole barn and a big ole tractor and a big ole gator just to drive from nowhere to nowhere and chickens ( wife idea) that can attract the rat snakes that said wife can freak out about and ..........well you get the idea. A lot of those 40 -50 lot subdivisions that are on Wellborn fit that mold and sell FAST. I can see even more popping up in Grimes. Lots of Grimes county is just as pretty as Washington County that was the go to place for thousands of Houston retirees for the last 20 years. Wash Cnty is overpriced and full up now so I fully expect the developers to begin to look at Grimes and Burleson Cnty next for the huge wave thats a coming...

Just saw FlyRod's post. Yes..I am one and I know of MANY MANY classmates that are in the process. We tailgate at the AFS and mingle with lots of Formers my age or a tad younger. Moving to BCS is a prime conversation every gameday
Completely agree. I'm one of many in the same boat. Wife and I decided a few years ago that BCS is where we want to retire. Spent a year looking at all the potential lots in the area and bought a vacant one in Indian Lakes. We got into a new area in 4 wheel drive before they were finished clearing stumps out of it. The lots were going fast, and we jumped on one. Glad we did. Spent almost another year designing a house and finding the right builder. And then almost another year to finish the house after they broke ground. But now it's done and is our little piece of heaven on earth.

Still at least 10 years before retirement, but we realized to land where we wanted, we needed to get in on the action before all the "good" spots were gone. We can always sell and upgrade later if something better comes along.
curious..which builder did you use ? Its a tight market and the prices these guys are getting is insane.
Cost about $157/sqft of living area. Original bid was $145/sqft, but we added some things along the way. Pier and beam foundation, limestone exterior, metal roof, extra deep 3 car garage. Saw every bill for materials and craftsmen. Was essentially a cost-plus, with a fair fee for the builder (~10% of total cost). Everybody who touched it got a nice margin, but it's just the going rate in BCS these days due to supply/demand. I thought the market might soften some due to low oil prices but never saw that happen.
The Original AG 76
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Cost about $157/sqft of living area. Original bid was $145/sqft, but we added some things along the way. Pier and beam foundation, limestone exterior, metal roof, extra deep 3 car garage. Saw every bill for materials and craftsmen. Was essentially a cost-plus, with a fair fee for the builder (~10% of total cost). Everybody who touched it got a nice margin, but it's just the going rate in BCS these days due to supply/demand. I thought the market might soften some due to low oil prices but never saw that happen.
$157 is VERY VERY good for this area. Ive played HELL getting remodeling or an addition done for that. Given up on adding sq ft , other than the garage conversion. I'd be better off tearing the damn place down and starting over ( not an option)
MemphisAg1
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

$157 is VERY VERY good for this area. Ive played HELL getting remodeling or an addition done for that. Given up on adding sq ft , other than the garage conversion. I'd be better off tearing the damn place down and starting over ( not an option)
The $157 is just the house and doesn't include the lot, which adds another $23/sqft. Had sticker shock for all of it, but I'm still glad we did it.
JP76
The Original AG 76 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

MemphisAg1 said:

The Original AG 76 said:

How many square feet are you trying to add ?
It is always going cost more to add on per sq ft due to economies of scale. Especially if you start talking kitchen and bathrooms. I did a bathroom conversion a few years back for a customer and my cost alone just for plumbing and fixtures approached $150 a sq ft. If you are in BCS and would like another estimate on your project, feel free to email me at

jpp_76@hotmail.com
A.G.S.
AG
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the large property for sale at Peach Creek & Hwy 6.
You mean the 224 acres that borders Peach Creek Cutoff, the Hwy, and Peach Creek ?

I had heard that a developer had bought it and was going to do a "Saddle Creek" like development with larger 1 acre lots. It is a pretty piece of property with some elevation changes and mature trees. But the deal must have fallen thru because it went from "Under Contract" to back on the market.

I think he's referring to the NE corner. Sign I saw said 660 acres.
dave99ag
AG
A.G.S. said:

SARATOGA said:

Quote:

I think he's referring to the NE corner. Sign I saw said 660 acres.
Yeah, that's the one. Beautiful piece of property.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.