The Republic scores an 80

8,938 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was pretty funny actually. And y'all are doing just fine.
Frio Cielo
The Republic is good, but like most places in this town, the consistency of the steaks is wide, at least the few time I went there.
I have never ordered a steak at Caf Eccell as I can grill a steak at home at least as good as anywhere. What I get there is the seafood enchiladas. That's my go to dish.

I laugh at posters who say this place is the best for XXXX food. Unless a dish is just plain terrible, taste is in the eye of the beholder to a large degree.
Frio Cielo
quote:
The Republic is good, but like most places in this town, the consistency of the steaks is wide, at least the few time I went there, too inconsistent for a $40 steak.

I have never ordered a steak at Caf Eccell as I can grill a steak at home at least as good as anywhere. What I get there is the seafood enchiladas. That's my go to dish.

I laugh at posters who say this place is the best for XXXX food. Unless a dish is just plain terrible, taste is in the eye of the beholder to a large degree.

malibu9in1
quote:
"I doubled over at "Cafe Eccell."

And I LIKE Cafe Eccell. But we're talking about a place where a staffer told me "We're aiming to be the kind of place people go to instead of Cheddar's!""

I can't explain why a staff of ours would say that. The only place we are trying to be at Cafe Eccell is
Cafe Eccell!! Lol

I eat at ur place on the regular. But I don't believe it's the same as the republic. Just 2 different themes. I go more now then at yalls old location.

FlyRod
Taste is subjective to be sure, but to suggest that McDonalds is the equal of Grub or CMac's old place is just plain silly.

But fair enough...when you're at the top echelon of restaurants in town, there are no *bests*. So "favorite" is perhaps the more appropriate word.
AggiePhil
AG
While we have Costa's attention, PLEASE bring back La Bodega!! Eating at First Watch last week was the first time my wife and I felt like, "Ok, this can be a regular breakfast spot for us" since going to La Bodega back in the day. We miss it.
Costa and Andreas
Would love to bring back Bodega bigger and better. Just need a location.... Already have a new menu written and engineered, as well as some substantial updates and adjustments to the concept planned.
AggiePhil
AG
Yesterday's building?
halibut sinclair
quote:
Yesterday's building?

Yesterday's might not like that.
halibut sinclair
quote:
CMac's old place

You lost me there.
FlyRod
In the interest of full disclosure, what cemented my loyalty to The Republic was a incident several years ago. Friends and I were there for live music. A certain prominent local food critic came in and pulled a chair up to the service area of the bar. Staff told him no, as that would interfere with servers doing their job. Food critic stormed out in a huff and we all knew what was coming. In less than 30 minutes, a very long profanity laced review of The Republic (one star) appeared online. It was pointed out to staff, who found it to be quite entertaining. Review was deleted later that evening.
Frio Cielo
quote:
Taste is subjective to be sure, but to suggest that McDonalds is the equal of Grub or CMac's old place is just plain silly.

But fair enough...when you're at the top echelon of restaurants in town, there are no *bests*. So "favorite" is perhaps the more appropriate word.

I assumed that since we were talking about four or five of the high end restaurants in the area, that everyone would know I was talking about restaurants that exist and offer comparable foods that are targeting the same customer base.

I was wrong.

Scruffy
AG
quote:
In the interest of full disclosure, what cemented my loyalty to The Republic was a incident several years ago. Friends and I were there for live music. A certain prominent local food critic came in and pulled a chair up to the service area of the bar. Staff told him no, as that would interfere with servers doing their job. Food critic stormed out in a huff and we all knew what was coming. In less than 30 minutes, a very long profanity laced review of The Republic (one star) appeared online. It was pointed out to staff, who found it to be quite entertaining. Review was deleted later that evening.
FlyRod
Thought you'd enjoy that, Scruff. We all did at the time.
Costa and Andreas
"Yesterday's building"

Not enough parking, especially with First Watch there now.
BrandoC
AG
Well that is good for the customer then.
CharlieMac
Jesus I have missed Mybcs!!!

The Republic is AMAZING.. bad score aside.
Keep up the great work Wade!
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Jesus I have missed Mybcs!!!

The Republic is AMAZING.. bad score aside.
Keep up the great work Wade!

So you know, you haven't missed much.
malibu9in1
Take me to the republic Charles. It was my bday last week!
Tanya 93
You came back!

You barely even Facebook now!

Too busy for us plebes I guess.
aggieaviator
AG
I went there once. Was really looking forward to it. My steak was so salty it was inedible. I never turn away food but the steak wasnt right. I think I read that they salt age their steaks. I can only assume they were supposed to rinse off the salt and didnt. Not sure.
KidDoc
AG
Republic is good but I'm a Veritas guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TellMeMore
Wait, what? A "prominent local food critic"? I had no idea! I have been casting about blindly all these years trying to find good eats and we have, or had a local authority?
FlyRod
Yep. The General Board has a thread dedicated to him that is up to 14-15 pages by now.
DontBeTriggered
I'm glad I've never eaten there for as expensive as it is. It should be spotless! I love Christopher's, Cafe Eccell and Veritas... All three are amazing!
malibu9in1
Had republic on sat evening. Great as always.
gopitt
Nothing remotely close to the quality, service and ambiance of The Republic in the Brazos Valley. If you are far and away the best expect people to take pot shots at you from time to time. One of my favorite restaurants anywhere!
FlyRod
Very well said. I've had food as good elsewhere, but never better service. Ever.
SumAggie
quote:
I always wondered if those perfect scores of 100 at GoCo were the Health Dept ratings, or the average BMI of customers...
conceited much...?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
lol cafe excell isnt in the same hemisphere as the republic. I think you just like to be a know-it-all
TheAlarmGuy
Don't be Dissing my "Cafe Eccell." Leave my pear gorgonzola salad and Strawberry Tart alone please...
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
oh, Im a fan of excell and eat there frequently. But its not the same level as the Republic.
FlyRod
Had wisdom teeth out today that did not go especially well. Let's just say that when I can eat solid food again in a week to ten days, The Republic' massive "cowboy ribeye" will be my first recovery meal!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Had wisdom teeth out today that did not go especially well. Let's just say that when I can eat solid food again in a week to ten days, The Republic' massive "cowboy ribeye" will be my first recovery meal!
Just eat at Christopher's. They scored a 100.
FlyRod
They don't have the cowboy ribeye!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.