BRYAN/COLLEGE STATION TORNADO HELP THREAD

13,086 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by chucktheaggiejeweler
chucktheaggiejeweler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Okay folks, we all know our community is the one that got hit today. Let's use this thread as the place to gather for helping those in need.

Central Baptist said they will take donation items if needed. Watch this thread to see what might be needed. The needs will be specific. My experience in the past has been that people will clean out their garage. Please don't do that.

I'd like to see folks with chainsaws, tools, or just elbow grease ready to give help for cutting trees, blue tarping roofs, moving furniture and possessions, etc

PLEASE SEE FACEBOOK FOR UPDATES IN THE WHEELER RIDGE TORNADO SUPPORT PAGE:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/229599884089554?ref=bookmarks

UPDATE: WHEELER RIDGE IS OPENED FOR VOLUNTEERS. PLEASE CARPOOL.

If anyone has space for displaced neighbors, please text that to me too.
***I currently have a response for temporary shelter if needed.

I am just trying to serve as a catalyst here, so please feel free to step in and help. I know our community will CONTINUE to step up.

Let's all please CONTINUE to pray.

God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
Ag2Max
AG
Let us know if Ags from out of the area can help with monetary donations. If anything like that gets set up let us know. Prayers for the Brazos Valley and B/CS!!
waterchick
KBTX reporting shelter set up at Central Baptist Church and Skybreak Church (on Harvey just down from CBC).
txag2k
AG
Central Baptist Church (Bryan) and Sky break church are both open as shelters from what was said on the news.
Rapier108
KBTX said everyone needs to go to Central Baptist Church. Everyone at Skybreak is being moved there.
BCStalk
i wonder how many people are displaced
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
The Best Western Premier posted something offering discounted rates for displaced residents for tonight and tomorrow night.
jrhmc
AG
My friend was just told that their house is uninhabitable. They have a small son with many challenges and his mom has been his biggest advocate and he's a miracle in many ways because of her. Her husband is a police officer. They need all your prayers and support right now.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
My friend was just told that their house is uninhabitable. They have a small son with many challenges and his mom has been his biggest advocate and he's a miracle in many ways because of her. Her husband is a police officer. They need all your prayers and support right now.

If there's one thing this area does better than anywhere else, it's step up during times like this. Hopefully they and all the victims' pain and suffering is only temporary, and I guarantee they're going to see what the word "community" really means
jrhmc
AG
Bonnie has given me permission to post more about their situation. Her husband is John Kay with UPD and they're currently trying get tarps up over the house. If you can help they are over on Woodcrest Dr.

OnlyANobody
Do they have somewhere safe to stay?
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
They have shelter. They will be seeing ServPro early tomorrow. All valuables moved to parts of house with roof in tact. Please watch this thread for further needs they may have.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
Several of you rock stars have texted offering help in clean up. Emergency responders cannot allow that yet (gas leaks, power lines, etc). Please text me and let me know if you will be on that list to help. This could have hit any of us.

Chuck Konderla 979.255.8388
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
bushytailed
AG
Friend posted on FB that there is a group that will be meeting at Central Baptist at 7am. They have been tarping roofs and cutting trees today and plan to start up again in the morning. Sounds like they could use more volunteers.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
bushy,

Can you confirm this please?
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
bushytailed
AG
He posted to our running group's FB page:

"Our church disaster relief crew has been cutting trees and putting tarps on roofs all afternoon. Starting again at 7am. It's bad out there..."

"If any of you want to help my crew, we plan to meet at Central Baptist at 7am and head to the area around 4005 Woodbriar Dr in Bryan. We will probably be working along that street all day. It's bad..."
lawless89
I can confirm that post as well. I was with the crew working this afternoon. It's a bunch of guys from Central Baptist that are a part of the disaster relief team. They run a crew with chainsaws and haul limbs to the street.

If you plan on helping, wear gloves, jeans and waterproof steel toed boots.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
See y'all in the morning.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
boredatwork08
AG
Thought I could make it out today but family schedules dictate otherwise due to school closures.

If crews are still running tomorrow please post here.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
I need some help today helping a family move out of their home. The man is a veteran, wounded warrior, very sick with cancer, and his wife's name is Patricia. Her phone number is +1 (979) 204-4878
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
mrstsj
AG
I couldn't meet at Central Baptist earlier this morning, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to help this afternoon. I'm not a terribly big person, but I'm young and can help with moving smaller items if needed.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
Mrs. TSJ, see my above post.

I'm in Wheeler Ridge. Saws are buzzing. Damage is worse than I thought.

The more severe areas of WR are going to open soon. I'll post when they do.

We just finished a house - tree punched through roof- but there are 20+ that will need help. Please consider helping.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
mrstsj
AG
Chuck,

I will see what I can do to help with the move mentioned above, otherwise I will head out to WR to see what I can do.

Thank you!
mrstsj
AG
Where can I go in WR? I was turned away by a cop at the corner of Woodcrest and Meadowbrook.
CCCTX
If you have been affected by the tornadoes or flooding and need help, call the Catholic Charities of Central Texas Disaster Hotline at 512-766-7111.

If you would like to help, please make a monetary donation at www.ccctx.org/donate or call Kristen at 512-651-6132. Financial gifts will be used to help families with food, clothing and emergency shelter. All funds go directly to serving families affected by disaster. At this time, we are not collecting any items, but will update as other needs arise.

Catholic Charities of Central Texas provides disaster response in 25 counties through our offices in Bryan and Austin. Our Disaster Response staff is actively monitoring the situation in Brazos County as well as the following areas: Bastrop, Caldwell, Fayette, Lee, Travis and Washington counties. With more rains expected this week, the situation will change rapidly.

The most up-to-date information will be posted on our social media pages.
(https://www.facebook.com/ccctx/?fref=nf)

Please share this information as needed. We want to be here to help those affected by the recent storms, Blessings to you all! -Allison Seibert, Associate Director, CCCTX in Bryan
jrhmc
AG
If you would like to donate gift cards to the Kay family, please email me at jrhmcastillo at gmail dot com and I'll either pick them up and get them to the family or let you know where to send them. The also have a PayPal account if you would like to donate to them that way. Once again, email me and I'll get you the information. Right now their biggest need is money for food. Their son has special needs in his diet because of his health issues so grocery gift cards or gift cards that can be used anywhere over restaurant gift cards would probably be more helpful. Thanks and Gig'em!
MarineBQ04
AG
"Bonnie has given me permission to post more about their situation. Her husband is John Kay with UPD and they're currently trying get tarps up over the house. If you can help they are over on Woodcrest Dr.

"

We were driving around this morning and Mr. Kay was actually the first person we ran across. My wife and I got out and started to help. We were able to help him get all of the brick and his roof fragments off of his yard. He can now get to his front door and garage again.

They are a very nice family and were appreciative of our help.
Jess Fields
I'll run errands, move things, whatever needs to be done. Even if late tonight. Just text or call.

Jess
571-6724
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
I have spent my day working under the umbrella of the Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief Team. Though they were not interested in me leading them in a Rosary, they were great folks to work with.

They are a recognized group by FEMA and are allowed to go into places after a storm when in cooperation with local authorities. They were at the EOC meeting today with emergency responders.

If you want to help with labor, you must meet at 7am tomorrow in the North parking lot of Central Baptist Church. You really need solid boots, work gloves, work clothes, rain suit, etc. It will be dirty, hard work, very much needed.

Today was about cutting up trees on houses or removing trees and debris blocking houses. Some residents declined help, some could not be reached, but others were taken care of.

The remainder will be clean up debris, trees needing to come down, etc.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
techno-ag
AG
If a gofundme account is set up for victims, please post it here.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
Not a gofundme, but a great way to help $$$

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Giving-Back--How-you-can-help-the-May-26th-storm-victims-381165501.html
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
Wildmen03
AG
quote:
Be aware as scammers regularly use crowdfunding pages to fraud money from people in situations like this.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Be aware as scammers regularly use crowdfunding pages to fraud money from people in situations like this.
True. But, many families in need have received needed funding from this service. If a gofundme account is set up, please consider donating to local families in need.
jrhmc
AG
The Kays asked me not to set up a GoFundMe because of the fees involved. I have their PayPal information if anyone wants to help this police officer and his sweet family. Thanks!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The Kays asked me not to set up a GoFundMe because of the fees involved. I have their PayPal information if anyone wants to help this police officer and his sweet family. Thanks!
OK.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.