Tornado Warning

37,053 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Actually you are right with respect to fatalities. The odds are similar. However, from the same NOAA site I believe it mentions that only 10% of persons struck by lightning die while others have varying degrees of injury. I am not sure how they tabulate the odds for your chances of being involved in a tornado versus lightning although they do have some interesting statistics on their site: lightningsafety.noaa.gov
and the Storm Prediction Center has some neat maps with tornado probabilities over time. I think they said the frequency of a tornado hitting the same square mile of land was about every thousand years but they also admit that meteorology has grown so much as a field new things are being learned all the time.
I would prefer not to be the victim of either!
91_Aggie
AG
You don't need lightning sirens because everyone can easily see when lightning is within 20 miles. The lightning siren is built in to nature with the loud thunder and the bright flashes of light. If you are too stupid to take cover at that point, then a lightning siren isn't going to help you very much.

MBAR
AG
Yeah so if there is lightning to the North 5 miles away and you're looking south in daylight you're able to see lightning? You're able to hear the thunder with a south wind?

OK.
FlyRod
Lightning can be subtle. Was fishing in the White Mountains of AZ once and not really paying attention to the clouds drifting over the mountains. Nothing like a real obvious thunderhead. Then a bolt came down hitting a tree close to me. After changing my fishing shorts, I had a whole new respect for lightning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.