Tornado Warning

37,101 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tornado warning in Burleson and Washington county. May start seeing some activity creep up towards south CS. Stay alert people.
AgsWin2011
AG
Looks like some possible rotation between Somerville and Brenham right now. No warning issued yet.
AggieAces06
AG
quote:
Doesn't help that my phone keeps buzzing every 10 minutes to tell me we are a flood hazard warning. I get it. Don't buzz unless I need to take cover. I have work in the morning.

Finally turned our alerts off at about 2:30/3 am. I agree, don't send an alert unless there is immediate danger and I need to seek shelter.
The Collective
AG
Wow...
Bunk Moreland
Helo's flying all over bcs this morning. Assuming rescue missions are ongoing. Everyone be safe
nos7610
I've lived here my whole life and I've never seen anything like this in BCS. Crazy! Many thanks to the first responders, linemen, teachers, city employees and volunteers! Appreciate the efforts and hours they've put in.
AgsWin2011
AG
Driving to work this morning wasn't anything unusual, as it looked like any other rainy day. Surprisingly the roads weren't bad and my the lakes/ponds in my neighborhood weren't overflowing. They were full, but I guess I was expecting to see more.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
Helo's flying all over bcs this morning. Assuming rescue missions are ongoing. Everyone be safe
I'm betting they are news helos.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
I'm betting they are news helos.

You might be right. All I know is I heard them from probably 5:30 on. Seemed to be flying low. probably coming in town to gas up then head south to see the Gulf of Brenham.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Doesn't help that my phone keeps buzzing every 10 minutes to tell me we are a flood hazard warning. I get it. Don't buzz unless I need to take cover. I have work in the morning.
You know you can turn those off, right? I appreciate the notifications.
Rapier108
The helicopters could also be the NWS doing storm damage assessments. They almost always do an aerial survey in order to determine exactly where the tornado started and lifted as well as get a full view of the damage.
wareagle044
I'm not making it back from El Paso today am I ?
CS78
quote:

Come in from hwy 21 and should be no problem.
wareagle044
quote:
quote:

Come in from hwy 21 and should be no problem.

Flying to CLL
momlaw
AG
Depends upon how late your flight is and if connections are not boogered.
Rapier108
Per KBTX, the NWS says it was a "high end" EF1 with winds of around 100mph and about 50 yards wide.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Wow how big?

Picture I saw looked like EF2
Close. "Highend" EF1.
Oogway
I'll take ' What are scales and categories?' for $500 Alex.
FlyRod
If this had been an F3-5 we would be having a very different and far sadder conversation about this. I was in Jarrell after what happened there. I never want to see that again, certainly not here.
Kitten With A Whip
We were definitely lucky it wasn't worse! Some of those directly involved probably don't feel so lucky and I can't say I blame them, but even for them it could have been tons worse. Praise the Lord it wasn't. T&P for all involved.
The Collective
AG
It was a spin-up, thus the reason for lack of warning. They usually aren't "strong".
Hammerheadjim
AG
Was inside Home depot when it was hopping up and down. It did a number on all the outdoor displays and blew open all the front sliding doors. Huge pressure drop before the doors blew open. Saw the funnel heading across the highway towards copperfield area
MBAR
AG
quote:
It was a spin-up, thus the reason for lack of warning. They usually aren't "strong".

I wouldn't characterize a borderline EF2 tornado as a spinup. EF2 tornadoes are what the NWS considers "strong" so this was a significant tornado. Honestly we had forecast failure on the part of the NWS as they didn't anticipate the severity of the storms that came through that day.

A second and third tornadoes went through just south of Navasota as well.

Also, It blows me away that BCS does not have tornado sirens. Its really indefensible for a town that gets the frequency of tornadic storms of BCS not to have an outdoor warning system. For crying outloud we have a siren on campus for lightning strikes but not tornadoes!
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't characterize a borderline EF2 tornado as a spinup. EF2 tornadoes are what the NWS considers "strong" so this was a significant tornado. Honestly we had forecast failure on the part of the NWS as they didn't anticipate the severity of the storms that came through that day.

A second and third tornadoes went through just south of Navasota as well.

Also, It blows me away that BCS does not have tornado sirens. Its really indefensible for a town that gets the frequency of tornadic storms of BCS not to have an outdoor warning system. For crying outloud we have a siren on campus for lightning strikes but not tornadoes!
I'm pretty sure our city council is only interested in safety devices that produce revenue.
rhoswen
AG
We had sirens in my hometown and you could only hear them if you were outside. Not in your home, and not in your car if you had the radio on. The number of people it could potentially reach is slim and not, imo, worth the cost.
Oogway
As much as we (collective 'we' here folks) like to rag on the Councils of the twin cities, I disagree in this particular instance. Cannot speak for Bryan, but College Station has invested in lightning detectors and this is money better spent IMO. Your odds of getting struck and killed by lightning are much greater than a tornado.
It is possible to debate all sorts of scenarios on where to apply taxpayer resources, and I am not minimizing the danger nor the destructiveness of tornadoes, but personally, they were not something we relied on in our community growing up even though we had them.

Edit: referring to post above rhoswen's.
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
As much as we (collective 'we' here folks) like to rag on the Councils of the twin cities, I disagree in this particular instance. Cannot speak for Bryan, but College Station has invested in lightning detectors and this is money better spent IMO. Your odds of getting struck and killed by lightning are much greater than a tornado.
It is possible to debate all sorts of scenarios on where to apply taxpayer resources, and I am not minimizing the danger nor the destructiveness of tornadoes, but personally, they were not something we relied on in our community growing up even though we had them.

Oh, lighten up, Oogie. It's just jokes.

And, btw, I agree with you. I don't think they would be very effective here. Plus, with cell phones blasting off every 30 seconds I don't think we could have missed any of the warnings that were issued unless we happened to be deaf or dead. I feel it is us who should be responsible for our safety in this instance, not the city council. I have my alerts turned on for that very reason.
Tailgate88
AG
I have not driven through Wheeler Ridge bit yesterday we drove down Hwy 6 on the way out of town. The area south of Navasota has lots of damage! Roofs ripped off buildings, hundred+ year old trees snapped in half, lots of damage. Wow! T&P to everyone affected. We are really lucky more people were not injured!
Oogway
It's all good, KittenWaW. After getting the prop tax statement this year I think my nerves are frayed.
Rockdoc
AG
What bothered me during the worst part of the storm, my power went out, so no internet and my cell service sucks so bad I couldn't get any info, and I knew a strong rotational radar signature was headed straight for me. I grabbed my portable radio and ALL the local stations were playing talk radio or music. I feel like the local media (radio anyway) really dropped the ball and failed to keep us informed. I hope they can get their act together in the future. At least flip a switch and broadcast NOAA weather radio. And yes next time I intend to have a battery powered radio that has NOAA (even though their recorded warning are minutes old and sometimes not helpful).
fcag
AG
A simple tip for when the power goes out... Keep your cable modem and wifi router plugged into a UPS. I had solid Internet through suddenlink for the 30 minutes we were without power.
Broncos
Don't be one of those people driving through the Wheeler Ridge area just to check things out.

Keep the roads clear for the owners, volunteers and city workers trying to repair the area.
marrocco
quote:
A simple tip for when the power goes out... Keep your cable modem and wifi router plugged into a UPS. I had solid Internet through suddenlink for the 30 minutes we were without power.

This is what I do, but with the power apparently going out at 10:30ish that morning both were depleted by the time I rushed home from work to check on things (and then nothing for the next two days without power).

I'm actually looking at one of these instead: https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall
techno-ag
AG
WTAW did a great job, as usual. There's really no point listening to any other station during a local emergency.
MBAR
AG
quote:

Actually, you're not more likely to be killed by lightning.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats.shtml

Tornado deaths and lightning are pretty similar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.