Protesting property taxes

17,398 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by techno-ag
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be your campaign manager.
Prescient
quote:
So I am looking at the appraisals for the houses in my neighborhood and could use some help.

So if I protest I need to show them other comparable size houses in my neighborhood appraised at lower values?

ETA: If my house is 1679 sq feet....what size houses should I be looking at? Within how many sq feet of my house?
Answer to question 1 is yes, find similar houses appraised at lower values. "Similar" will answer question 2, roughly the same square footage, nearby, built around the same time, and similar style. There's a "quality" that you can find on the Appraisal district page on your house that will be "RV3" or some other number between 1-8. There may be a "P" after the number. Consider that a .5, so an "RV3P" is between a 3 and a 4. The higher the number the higher the valuation. Assume your house is an "RV3". You can't compare the valuation of your house with a house with anything other than an "RV3". Double check the square footage on your house. Is it the same as what the Appraisal District shows? Also pay attention to the lot sizes. They probably value them all the same and unless yours is significantly smaller than the rest, this isn't something to worry about. Still, worth a look.
SARATOGA
Grassroots Texags support my man.....

Anyway, I encourage EVERYONE to fight it every year. It doesn't have to be a lanterns and pitchforks sort of a deal, but there are not that many staff up at the appraisal district and a limited amount of time. There are usually only a few days set for hearings before the board, and those usually run WAY behind schedule. If double or triple the number of people protested they would have to examine a change in procedure.

One year I was headed to my review board appointment and they met me in the parking lot and gave me exactly what I wanted in reduction because they were 3 hours behind in cases before the board.

I fight it EVERY SINGLE year (mainly out of principle, regardless of increase proposed) because I don't think it should go up at all. I'm not selling, so resale value arguments fall on my deaf ears.

Fight the man. Everyone. The more people that protest the greater it will be for everyone.
nought
AG
Should a lot being partially in the flood plain affect its value?

Situation: my lot is a little bit smaller than most of the other lots around me. But, my lot is valued the same as the other lots. However, my lot is partially (a little bit) in the flood plain. Shouldn't that make my lot worth less?

Also, how do we go about getting comps for recent sales if we aren't a realtor? There is a house on my street that was on the market for over a year and finally sold at the end of last year. It had about 50% more square feet than my house, but its listing/asking price at the time it was sold was only barely above what my house is now supposedly appraised at. I'm assuming it sold at or slightly under the listing price, but have no way to verify that. Even if it sold at the listing price, the price per square foot they were actually able to get for the house is significantly less than the price per square foot my house is appraised at.

Finally, on my street are two houses which have been for sale for over a year. Does it help to show that houses on my street are not selling as fast as the rest of the market seems to be?
BlazeHarper

I agree with Saratoga and protest just about every year, especially the last 5. If nothing more you will send a message by jamming the system with volume. In my experience, they are going to knock some of it down just by showing up and even more if you bring in your homework.
SARATOGA
It also helps to know a little bit about real estate, appraisals, and building practices or what materials/features are going to drive the price of a house up.

Most realtors or former realtors know that appraisers are crooked, mostly unregulated, and opinions of value can vary widely between appraisers. Translation: Their opinion of value doesn't really matter, so EVERYTHING can be argued. (politely)

If you know anything about properties around yours it helps, features, add-ons, sales values etc. One thing about being in a neighborhood is that there are hundreds of houses within a small area. You don't just have to compare with your neighbors on the left and right.

I'm not an expert, but I've been up there several times over the last several years.... But if you show up with the least bit of gumption they'll usually knock some off. I would say always be polite, use your manners, but be assertive. Because the fact is that they are no more qualified to assess the value of your house than you are assuming a basis level of ability. Hence my idea that the market should decide the values because that is not arguable or subjective. It is what it is.

duffelpud
AG
Looks like Jubally changed their Brazos County roll out date from May 15 to May 22.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Anyone know how much their reports cost?

nvm looks like $74.99
SoTheySay
S
I believe, but don't quote me, that they will refund if your value isn't reduced.
dubi
AG
quote:
Should a lot being partially in the flood plain affect its value?

I received a reduction for my house being partially in a flood plain.
Cru
S
quote:
Looks like Jubally changed their Brazos County roll out date from May 15 to May 22.
Our lead programmer had some family health issues, and we've pushed the date. If we're able to hit it, due to the inconvenience, I'll be offering those on this thread a steep discount via a promo code.
rrtodds
AG
I'm anxious to see how the Jubally numbers compare to the mess that BCAD has put out.
spike427
AG
I went in today - totally a waste of time and gas to drive there. I was basically told I was being penalized for buying an inexpensive house and for protesting in years past including the first year getting it lowered to the sales price. Such a load of baloney that it steams me up to remember everything he said. I have never gone in and left without SOME reduction. They don't even care this year.
mamagutz
Definitely interested in learning more about Jubally. Our whole neighborhood went up.
VincentBlack
Quote:

Definitely interested in learning more about Jubally. Our whole neighborhood went up.

CS78
quote:
I went in today - totally a waste of time and gas to drive there. I was basically told I was being penalized for buying an inexpensive house and for protesting in years past including the first year getting it lowered to the sales price. Such a load of baloney that it steams me up to remember everything he said. I have never gone in and left without SOME reduction. They don't even care this year.
Highly dependent on who you get. Nice black gentleman, I think his name is Delvin. Seems like a great guy but will do everything he can to keep from dropping your value.
Post removed:
by user
jja79
AG
quote:
the new appraised value would be assessed to the new owners. Not the sellers.

Buy house for 100k. It is valued at 100k for the duration of ownership.

Sell house, appraisal district has access to the MLS, and they see what house sells for, and adjusts the appraisal for new owners for the duration of their ownership, and so on.

It is easier, people aren't taxed out of their homes, and can budget more properly, and it saves the effort of the appraisal district people having to do the appraisals and fight the protests each year.

And so many houses sell, that there would be constant adjustment up after resales, so I'm not even convinced that taxes would need to be raised. Thousands and Thousands of properties sell each year - those would all be adjusted up to be valued at the sale price it just sold for without all the legwork.

If I buy for $100K and stay 10 years only my rate can go up? Let's say the market is good and you buy next door for $150K 5 years after I bought. We both pay the same rate but your taxes are 50% higher than mine. Is that your plan?

SoTheySay
S
Delvin is an amazing person. I don't know their job duties but I'd imagine their job is to keep as much money as possible.
SARATOGA
Yes, essentially.

It's also not my plan (it has worked well in several other states).

But to use your example, your new neighbor would pay much higher property taxes than you will as they paid a higher price for their house. The plan disconnects "appraised value" (derived with extreme bias and corruption) from property taxes unless at a time of sale, when the market value sale price determines (without BIAS) the number for tax purposes.

You bought into the neighborhood when you could afford it, and they bought into the neighborhood when they could afford it. Taxes remain constant and inside your budget. Their taxes remain constant and inside their budget.

spike427
AG
I had Delvin a few years ago. He gave me the value I requested in minutes.
pacecar02
im going to try to protest next week
jja79
AG
The taxes wouldn't remain constant. They'd go up as rates go up which they would have to since only properties bought and sold could see a value increase. It certainly would be a deterrent to people on the fence about whether or not to move up.
betadawg1
AG
Protesting next week also.
Linz02Ag
AG
What's the deadline to protest?
BCSMom
I believe May 31. However I am confused. So I just need to let them know I want to protest and they will set up an appt or do I need to get an appt by May 31?

It looks like they have an online appeals process too.
Cru
S
quote:
I believe May 31. However I am confused. So I just need to let them know I want to protest and they will set up an appt or do I need to get an appt by May 31?

It looks like they have an online appeals process too.
Consider the protest form by mail a RSVP.

You can walk in before May 31st and file your protest, and while you're there, meet with an appraiser for the informal hearing.

After May 31st, it will likely be by appointment only.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
Any updates on whether Jubally will serve Brazos County this protest season?
BCSMom
I asked yesterday on their Facebook page and they responded:

We should have it available this season but it might not be before the deadline. Go ahead and notify the CAD of your intent to protest and keep checking back. Try to reschedule your hearings, too.
Cru
S
quote:
Any updates on whether Jubally will serve Brazos County this protest season?

I'm confident we will. While testing this weekend we found Brazos cad gave us incomplete data. Galveston and Montgomery did the same. I requested the missing data this morning and they are working on it. They technically have about 10 business days to get it to me, but Brazos is very helpful so I expect it soon.

Go ahead and file the notice of protest. By the time they schedule your hearing (if you don't do it by just walking in) we should be ready.

Apologies on this, it's just out of my hands for the time being.
mamatrio
What an informative thread. I have protested in the past but am stumped this time. Not sure how to protest a property that had decreased in value of structure but jumped in market value of land. Located in the what i like to call the "hysterical district" where investors are jumping on these old homes them tearing them down to build the 4br/4bath home geared for rentals. Land values have skyrocketed. Crazy

Even though my house is old.

Best to everyone on their protest!!!
mgreen
What website do you visit to see property values?
dubi
AG
quote:
What website do you visit to see property values?

Brazoscad.org
OTSmith
So as I understand it (per the lady on the phone), the deadline to file the protest was yesterday?
dubi
AG
quote:
So as I understand it (per the lady on the phone), the deadline to file the protest was yesterday?
Correct.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.