Protesting property taxes

17,363 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by techno-ag
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went on the 31st. I was told that they would not take anything off. Made an appointment to meet the committee at a later date. My taxes actually went up over 10 percent but a HS Cap was put on to reduce it back to the 10 percent. I was told that the Oaks is a very popular subdivision and the houses are selling fast.
lightswitch
Say, has anyone had it to where on your block, everyone else's taxes went up say 3-4% and yours went up 10.4%? Is this a normal thing, or a "correction"?

I ask because it is the situation I'm in.

Thanks!
dubi
AG
quote:
Say, has anyone had it to where on your block, everyone else's taxes went up say 3-4% and yours went up 10.4%? Is this a normal thing, or a "correction"?

I ask because it is the situation I'm in.

Thanks!

What went up? Land? House?

Do you have more sq feet? Was yours too low to start with? Lots of factors.
jd1990
Another thing I noticed and have not researched much is changes in commercial property. One of my houses has gone up 60% since 2009 located in College Hills. Yet I see commercial property on University Dr that has gone DOWN 2% since 2009. I would love to know the percentage that home owners are paying vs commercial. I now live in Austin and it has become an issue here as well how the avg homeowner keeps getting higher and higher appraisals, yet commercial staying steady.
the4aces
AG
Has anyone had their official yet?

Anyone know when https://jubally.com/ will be ready for Brazos county?
samIam4sur
I called Jubally and left a message on Monday asking about an update for Brazos County. Have not received a call back.

This is the same thing that happened last year for our county. Maybe 2017 will be the year they will have information for us.
aggie59
AG
Until the taxpayers make changes in their elected officials, city council and county commissioners,school board members you can expect bigger budgets and therefore higher taxes every year. We have spread the cancer from the city council to the county government by electing the former mayor and a city councilman from College Station as county commissioners,they are going to come up with some great plans to spend our tax-money.
taxpreparer
AG
While I agree about holding our elected officials accountable for spending and tax rates, we don't elect the appraiser. Holding him accountable is much harder.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
aggie59
AG
But guess who appoints him? I think it goes along the lines of the them saying this how much money we need get it and keep it coming!
Cru
S
quote:
Has anyone had their official yet?

Anyone know when https://jubally.com/ will be ready for Brazos county?

Still trying to obtain some specific data from a few appraisal districts. We can't commit to a release date since the missing pieces are out of our control. Really sucks.
DakotaAg01
AG
ttt.

I've got my hearing postponed unit mid July. Any updates on the Jubally data? Does BrazosCAD seem to be dragging their feet to provide the data or is it more of an issue finding what y'all requested is hard to do?
The Collective
AG
The various taxing authorities should reduce their tax rates in this type of situation (HA!). It's not the appraiser's fault that the market is crazy.
aggiefan2002
Protested two. One dropped 4%, the other 9%. Lady I talked was happy about neither. Mission accomplished.
Cru
S
quote:
ttt.

I've got my hearing postponed unit mid July. Any updates on the Jubally data? Does BrazosCAD seem to be dragging their feet to provide the data or is it more of an issue finding what y'all requested is hard to do?

It hasn't been intentional. They have to rely on their software vendor. Last week their vendor gave me 2014 data...
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'm sure it was an accident
runawaytrain
Got my property lowered 9%, the guy I talked to was not in a good mood, basically had every excuse under the book. Refused to make eye contact, kept clicking random properties, but I got my adjustment done.
chigger
AG
What justification did you use?
SARATOGA
The same justification anyone should use....opinions vary and the appraisers opinion doesn't count for anymore than yours. They are unregulated and corrupt.

The person I spoke to said my house was worth more than my neighbors because my roof had more peaks. Not sure if they had a roof peak fetish or what - but I told them that was completely subjective.

It is kind of like negotiating a car price....

Salesman: How much do you want to pay ?

Buyer: Zero. How close to that can we get ?
soso33
This always felt like one of those informercial companies selling their products with a money back guarantee knowing that the majority of people are too lazy or apathetic to demand a refund. I'd like to know the percentage of property owners who actually go through the process to dispute the tax increases. I'm betting it's a pretty low percentage.
Anna Molly
I had my hearing Monday. I followed the instructions included with the original property tax notice, filed an online protest, and met with the appraiser. He showed me all the properties used to evaluate my property and explained their methodology. I explained a little bit more about my property, showing its age somewhat, etc. Ended up getting about $3K knocked off. Not a bad experience and the person I dealt with was friendly and professional.
techno-ag
AG
Also remember that there's a lot of rental properties owned by out of towners who are going to be potentially taxed higher. Back when city-data.com used to list the info, they estimated 2/3 of all residences in CStat were rentals. A lot of those owners live out of town and are probably expected to be unlikely to protest much. We sold a house to a guy who lives in California. I can't imagine him flying in to protest every year.

Happens in other counties too with out of town owners. We looked at a place in King Oaks. It was a weekend home owned by a couple in Houston. Grimes Co. bumped their value up by $20,000 over other comparable houses one year. They were too busy to drive in & protest. When it came time to sell, that was a problem for them.
DakotaAg01
AG
DakotaAg01
AG
Last ditch effort for Cru or whomever else is associated with Jubally. I've got my hearing later today and your website still doesn't have anything. Is there anything you could do for me? If not, I'll just keep tweaking my own research. Thanks!
aggiepaintrain
AG
Guess I'll wait until next year for the inevitable 10% increase again. Hope jubally can get what they need eventually.
SumAggie
quote:
Also remember that there's a lot of rental properties owned by out of towners who are going to be potentially taxed higher. Back when city-data.com used to list the info, they estimated 2/3 of all residences in CStat were rentals. A lot of those owners live out of town and are probably expected to be unlikely to protest much. We sold a house to a guy who lives in California. I can't imagine him flying in to protest every year.

Happens in other counties too with out of town owners. We looked at a place in King Oaks. It was a weekend home owned by a couple in Houston. Grimes Co. bumped their value up by $20,000 over other comparable houses one year. They were too busy to drive in & protest. When it came time to sell, that was a problem for them.
why will "that" be a problem for them?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

why will "that" be a problem for them?
"That" was a problem for them because other houses in the subdivision were taxed at a lower rate. It meant their neighbors, with comparable homes, paid less taxes than they did. So, if you as a buyer went in and looked at buying the house, you knew up front if you did your homework that that your property tax would be higher than your neighbors. It made other houses for sale in the neighborhood more attractive to buyers. HTH.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.