Quality of Bryan / College Station water?

28,987 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by waterworks
opstx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving to Bryan soon and am wanting a read on the public water quality. Is it hard or soft. Mineral deposits on the plumbing fixtures after a while?

Do people use the water direct from the pipe or is it advisable to use a filter or water softener?

Just wanting a head start - would be great if the first cup of coffee in the new house tasted good.

Thanks in advance!
FlyRod
If you want a good cup of coffee, under no circumstances use the tap water. Get a filtration system or water from a place like Jacob's Well
AgResearch
AG
Reverse osmosis. Both towns. YWIA
LunitadelNox
Lots of salts in the water.

I have an RO system in my house, fortunately.

If you are a gardener, I would highly recommend either collecting rain water or getting a large RO/filtration system. The water is so bad here it will kill certain plants that have low salt tolerance (like Japanese maples). But I still manage to grow one in a pot on my patio.
waterchick
Quick reply, before I put the little egrets to bed:

City of Bryan water report: https://docs.bryantx.gov/projects/let-it-flow/Water-Quality-Report-2014.pdf

City of CS water report: http://www.cstx.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=21021

Both cities draw water from the Carrizo-Wilcox Aquifer, and the water tends to be soft, slightly alkaline, and yes it does have dissolved salts. The water meets all Safe Drinking Water Act regulations straight out of the tap, BUT some people add filters for taste. As I said on WTAW last week, I like to call it "Artesian Mineral Water."

My email is in my profile if you have more questions. Welcome to town.
SoTheySay
S
There is a report posted somewhere. High sodium.
InMyOpinion
Been drinking it through a maytag filter for 25 years and I'm still alive.
Rex Racer
AG
We buy bottled water. Our water tastes terrible. And you can't get the soap off in the shower.

The one great thing about our water is that wherever you go on vacation, the water is always better than home.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
There is a report posted somewhere. High sodium.

Very high sodium bicarbonate. Almost no hardness (calcium, magnesium, iron). High PH.

I have RO. If you own aquariums, you pretty much need RO + remineralization in this town.

I worked in a greenhouse on campus during grad school. The municipal water will kill plants if you don't leach regularly. We went through hundreds of gallons of RO daily
Rockdoc
AG
Somebody above mentioned Jacobs well. Is that a pretty good way to do it? I've been living in the Wellborn area for about 8 years and buying bottled water because the tap is no go. Do they sell dispensers too?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
You can save tons of money by just buying an undersink RO. You can get a great kit for under $200 and filter changes cost about $20 once or twice a year, if you buy everything on Amazon.
phatpat21
Culligan
Ornlu
AG
From Egret's link:

Our water meets all the guidelines to be considered safe. It does have lots of carbonate and salt, and it's quite alkaline. If you're drinking it straight out of the tap, it tastes a little too salty to be pleasant but it's certainly not harmful. Chlorine is also quite high, so if you're trying to grow bacteria with the water (ie: Beer brewing), you'll need to filter out the chlorine. If you're gardening with it, you'll need to amend the soil PH and avoid using any sort of a fertilizer or pesticide that contains additional salt.

Yes, a house reverse osmosis (RO) filter makes the drinking water taste much better. The little pitcher filters don't cut the salt though, so they're not much help.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
avoid using any sort of a fertilizer or pesticide that contains additional salt.

Lol. Fertilizer is salt.
FlyRod
Old timers used to tell me to add powdered gypsum around the base of plants, which they claimed mitigated the harsh effects of the local water. Can't recall if it made a difference or not.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Gypsum (and other sulfate salts) will reduce the ph and prevent nutrient insolubility caused by our high ph water.
FlyRod
Thanks. I'm going to go back to using it.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
Lol. Fertilizer is salt.
Manure is salt?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
Lol. Fertilizer is salt.
Manure is salt?

Nutrients in manure are generally unavailable in organic form. They have to be mineralized into salts before the plants can access them.

So, I say again. Fertilizer is salt.
Tailgate88
AG
+1 Culligan. $29/month. We use it for coffee, drinking, even the dog's water. I can't see us ever getting rid of it. We're on Wellborn Water, pretty sure it's even worse than COCS/COB.
rhoswen
AG
quote:

I worked in a greenhouse on campus during grad school. The municipal water will kill plants if you don't leach regularly. We went through hundreds of gallons of RO daily

Same here. Watering my greenhouse plants with tap water would basically destroy the entire house within a week.
rhoswen
AG
And he's not wrong. Plants don't take up "manure", they take up the nutrients found in manure, most of which are found as salts, i.e. ammonium nitrate or potassium oxide.
TXCityGirl
So, if the water is so contaminated that it will kill plants...what is it doing to us?

Our organs, our teeth, etc.?
FlyRod
A colleague's blood pressure went from "high" back to "normal" after he stopped drinking it regularly. Coincidence perhaps.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
So, if the water is so contaminated that it will kill plants...what is it doing to us?

Contaminated?

We're not talking arsenic or nuclear waste. It's high in baking soda and table salt.

txyaloo
AG
quote:
+1 Culligan. $29/month. We use it for coffee, drinking, even the dog's water. I can't see us ever getting rid of it. We're on Wellborn Water, pretty sure it's even worse than COCS/COB.
Buy this and save yourself ~$300/yr after the first year.

http://airwaterice.com/drinking-water-system/mini-under-sink-ro-system-50gpd.html
Geop84
AG
This thread is timely. We are moving to College Station at the end of the month and will be on Wellburn water. The house has a swimming pool and we were thinking about converting to a salt water pool - have loved the one we have now in Houston. Someone said that salt water pools don't work well in CS due to the water. Has anyone experienced that?

SARATOGA
Bryan Water = AWFUL TASTE

College Station = Marginally better

Wellborn Water = Best tasting but the occasional "oops we let some XXX chemical out in higher ppm than tolerable by TCEQ standards" letter that comes out.

As other posters have said ...... "HEY CULLIGAN MAN !!"
Rockdoc
AG
Wellborn water! Are you kidding? The water is so bad right now, it burns my eyes when I shower and sure can't drink it. I've been using it for 8 years and have never been able to drink it. I went to Jacobs Well this morning and bought a dispenser and a months worth of water for drinking and coffee. 40 cents a gallon.
InMyOpinion
quote:

And to think I thought this entire time my wife was not watering plants and that was killing them only to find out she may have been watering them and that is really killing them.

Prescient
quote:
This thread is timely. We are moving to College Station at the end of the month and will be on Wellburn water. The house has a swimming pool and we were thinking about converting to a salt water pool - have loved the one we have now in Houston. Someone said that salt water pools don't work well in CS due to the water. Has anyone experienced that?

I have a salt water pool, on Wellborn Water. Won't ever have a chlorine pool again. Had ZERO problems with it.
SARATOGA
quote:
Wellborn water! Are you kidding? The water is so bad right now, it burns my eyes when I shower and sure can't drink it. I've been using it for 8 years and have never been able to drink it. I went to Jacobs Well this morning and bought a dispenser and a months worth of water for drinking and coffee. 40 cents a gallon.

I'll admit that I haven't actually tasted Wellborn water since we got our Culligan system a couple of years ago.....
toolshed
AG
I think our water tastes fine in relation to water sources from most lakes. We ate in Waco once and the chicken and dumplings tasted terrible, just like the terrible water served before the meal.

My wife is from South Dallas, the water supply is horrible, to the point that it makes the sodas and teas undrinkable as well. It makes me appreciate our water, as salty and chlorinated as it is. We drink ours from the fridge filtered water dispenser. It's a bit better, but not RO.
Rockdoc
AG
It comes and goes. I don't know why they can't get it stabilized.
Ornlu
AG
Wellborn SUD water is about 50% well water (out of a different aquifer than BTU or CSU) and 50% from the Navasota River, here: https://goo.gl/maps/2cqFc3Js7c82
In fact, here's TCEQ's page about Wellborn SUD

The Navasota river's water quality is very seasonal. It's muddy when the flowrate is high, and salty when the flowrate is low. Other entities with seasonal variations in water quality (Amarillo comes to mind) suffer similar inconsistencies. It takes a wholly different set of treatment setups to do their spring (alum) vs summer (vs fall flows. Also, they recently had to install a rather large, VERY expensive UV disinfection system. Did your water taste get better about 16-18 months ago?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.