We will survive!

10,015 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Spyderman
Scoopen Skwert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryan is home. Has been since the early 70s. You know the time when CS stopped at Fort Shiloh.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Then you, of all people, should know there would be no station without the college. Sure, Bryan would be here. But, it would be on par with Palestine or Paris without an institution of higher learning just to the south.

You can pretend otherwise. But, to do so, is to be an ostrich and pretend this area has anything in the world going for it other than a university that has grown in gargantuan percentages over the last half-century.

If there is anything else that would result in Bryan being a shadow of its current self, I would love to hear it. But, there isnt. Sanderson Farms, Toyo Ink, and other minor industries can only do so much. Without Texas A&M, your precious Bryan MIGHT be north 35,000.
D_Wag97
AG
Just like most cities wouldn't be the same without their main industries/employers.
FlyRod
Usually those main industries and employers aren't routinely bashed and treated like a burden by townies.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Exactly. I know of no other community that lambasts the backbone of its economy like this one. It's so freaking hypocritical.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I don't believe I've blasted the University nor am I going to sit back and feel compelled to treat it like almighty Jebus. My gosh some of y'all are like the old timers around here who interacted with the university from a position of servitude. We are together in this not separate and not against each other. Some folks tend to think it is a parasitic relationship and that all praise and honor belong to A&M. I simply am not one of those people.
Drake aTm
AG
Ft hood fuels killeens economy and Trust me, killeen hates soldiers...IME
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I don't feel like Texas A&M is almighty jeebus. But, I do respect and acknowledge there would be only miniscule Bryan and ZERO College Station without it.
doubledog
quote:
But, it would be on par with Palestine or Paris without an institution of higher learning just to the south.

I am thinking more like Franklin. It might be an interesting debate on what Bryan would be like without Texas A & M. I am thinking a small county seat town with a few old money families.
halibut sinclair
quote:
I don't feel like Texas A&M is almighty jeebus. But, I do respect and acknowledge there would be only miniscule Bryan and ZERO College Station without it.

So you're pretty sure some other institute of higher education, industry or large employer wouldn't have located in the Bryan area over the past 140 years?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
But, it would be on par with Palestine or Paris without an institution of higher learning just to the south.

I am thinking more like Franklin. It might be an interesting debate on what Bryan would be like without Texas A & M. I am thinking a small county seat town with a few old money families.
Certainly at some point, one of the state university systems would have started a campus here.
jja79
AG
Not if was a crossroads with 7500 population.
halibut sinclair
quote:
It was much less than that in 1876.
jja79
AG
You might not have read techno's post to which I responded.
Jack Bristow
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Not saying that at all. I'm saying that if it were not for a Tier 1, AAU, state flagship campus in this community, it would not be what it is today by a long shot. Sure, some other university might have put a campus here (as was posited). But, then we'd be comparing this community to Stephenville, Kingsville, or even Canyon or Commerce. Not much comparison there.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
So the railway line that was here means nothing and I guess the central location between the state's 3 largest metropolitan areas means nothing as well? Ok got it. Thank you all mighty for allowing this poor creature to exist in your mighty shadown!!! I got it I will offer appropriate sacrifice. Century Club just isn't good enough.
75AG
AG
Panties in a wad over a hypothetical, never happened situation?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
No kidding. This Internet is serious bidness.
PhiAggie
AG
quote:
I'm a Townie and an Aggie. Don't get too uppity. You wouldn't have one without the other. Let's not all pretend that we owe everything we have to A&M.

What about all the people who cried about moving a single football season to Reliant?
PhiAggie
AG
Prairie View
FlyRod
I like to think of Alto on Highway 21 as this area without TAMU. A few crumbling gas stations and fast food restaurants...tumbleweeds blowing across the highway...
techno-ag
AG
quote:
There was an effort at some point to get higher education to just about everybody within reasonable driving distance. I've no doubt something would have opened here eventually. You see at least community college satellites in a lot of small remote communities.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Ok, I'll take on the titan. Even if your position proved true, I don't think you can reasonably believe that life in Bryan would even be remotely similar without the presence of an internationally driving educational force.
doubledog
quote:
So the railway line that was here means nothing and I guess the central location between the state's 3 largest metropolitan areas means nothing as well?

Hypothetically Hearne would be a better central location. Hearne is the crossroad for two major railways and is more centrally located. Hypothetically I see Bryan as more of a Calvert size town. Like Calvert, Bryan's main resource would be the cotton fields of the Brazos valley. Like Calvert, Bryan would have peaked in the late 19th and early 20th century and would then have declined steadily from then on.

Of course this is all hypothetical, Bryan is a wonderful city.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
doubledog,

What about the oil and gas industry?

Also with the way Bryan sits between the Brazos and Navasota rivers I wonder how that would impact development.

This is a really fun discussion.

PhiAggie
AG

Scoopen Skwert
AG
daddy bought them big boy trucks
techno-ag
AG
Like a Boss!
jac4
AG
quote:
Businesses that survived the summer will be able to remain open another year.

So Kreutz's market will make it?
redd38
AG
quote:

Did you gun it?
BCStalk
I'm not proud of it but I gun it every time. Scares the wife more then the idiot running the light I'm sure.
PhiAggie
AG
Not this time.
techno-ag
AG
It is kinda fun to nose your way out in the intersection and lay on the horn.
aggies_2001
AG
Same thing happened to me today. I honked at the lady who just waved me off like she could care less she ran the light. I'm tired of waiting my turn and everyone else runs the light.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.